U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 620 times

Advertisements

Hello community. We are moving to VA Beach area for work this summer 2019. I would like to take the opportunity to live near the ocean in VA Beach. We are a family with younger children and have been looking at the North End, and Lynnhaven Colony just west of Fort Story. Our price range is around $600 and need a four bedroom, preferable with a small yard.

I like the North End but the price is really high. I also notice many of the homes on zillow and trulia have been for sale for several months. Perhaps the housing market there is saturated or the asking prices are inflated. Any insight?

Second question. Does anyone have any likes or dislikes for Lynnhaven colony area? It seems cheaper and the schools score slightly higher but does it still feel like a "beach" since its more of a bay/ harbor/ river situation?

Just looking for candid feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2019, 08:21 AM

5,829 posts, read 5,622,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceyrack View Post
Hello community. We are moving to VA Beach area for work this summer 2019. I would like to take the opportunity to live near the ocean in VA Beach. We are a family with younger children and have been looking at the North End, and Lynnhaven Colony just west of Fort Story. Our price range is around $600 and need a four bedroom, preferable with a small yard.

I like the North End but the price is really high. I also notice many of the homes on zillow and trulia have been for sale for several months. Perhaps the housing market there is saturated or the asking prices are inflated. Any insight?

Second question. Does anyone have any likes or dislikes for Lynnhaven colony area? It seems cheaper and the schools score slightly higher but does it still feel like a "beach" since its more of a bay/ harbor/ river situation?

Just looking for candid feedback. Thanks!
$600?

Unless you're putting like half down on a property you are purchasing I would not recommend anything renting for $600 in this area. I wouldn't even recommend anything for $600 out in the suburbs, like Isle of Wight, Gloucester, or the other three counties.

Hampton Roads consists of 5 urban counties, and nine cities, also counties, but fall under Virginia's Independent City classification. There are also 2 counties in North Carolina that fall within the MSA. Informally it is known as the seven cities but technically the area is larger than that, as people in those other nine areas commute here for work.

If you are going to rent for $600, which again I would not recommend in Virginia, I would look at North Carolina. Quality of life is going to be awful at that price, even for a one bedroom, and you're asking for four. A realistic price for a 4 bedroom here is $1,600.

The housing market is saturated. When I first came here 12 years ago there was plenty of inventory. Now they're building inventory because all of the vacancies, foreclosures, etc are gone. All of the former factories, former warehouses, have all been converted. There's nothing left but new construction, and it isn't cheap.

If you see stuff on the market forever it is because people don't stay long around here. It is a very fluid area. Some of the old timers are still here. But the average person you'll run into is from somewhere else.

Last edited by goofy328; 02-16-2019 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 AM

4 posts, read 620 times
Goofy, I see the mistake. My price for a home purchase is $600k. I'm not looking for a rental as the original message may have implied. I am looking to purchase for $600k.

Old 02-16-2019, 09:10 AM

1,501 posts, read 909,568 times
Quote:
Goofy, I see the mistake. My price for a home purchase is $600k. I'm not looking for a rental as the original message may have implied. I am looking to purchase for $600k.
Yeah.. when I saw $600/month.. I was gonna advise that u couldn't even rent a shed @ the North End for that rate.

North End is very nice.. same goes for Lynnhaven Colony. Both locations you'll be somewhat insulated from tourists, but especially Lynnhaven.. which is basically a regular residential area. One issue with Lynnhaven Colony, they're susceptible to flash flooding (Cape Henry Dr area, etc). I don't know if that matters, but..
I don't think those areas are overpriced.. they're desirable spots. North End close to the ocean, Lynnhaven just across Shore Dr from the Bay.. peace

Old 02-16-2019, 09:22 AM

5,829 posts, read 5,622,175 times
Quote:
Thank heavens!

We legit get those type of questions around here from time to time. I guess the four bedrooms should have been a dead giveaway.

The North End is expensive. If you just need to be in the area I would look elsewhere in Virginia Beach, or even one of the other cities. As long as you're not on the Peninsula (any of those counties I mentioned, or Newport News, Hampton or Williamsburg) the commute won't be too long. Stay on the Southside (Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk or Chesapeake). For me Suffolk is a bit of a drive but it is better than going across the water. And you should be able to get what you want for that price, if not less. I'm with Babe I would not say that it is overpriced. There are good reasons why prices are so high. As you can tell it isn't anything to pay over a million.

I'm not familiar with Fort Story. I am with Lynnhaven. Problem with anything out there is that you have to deal with the jet noise, which is frequent in the summer, and the weird traffic patterns because of the bases out there. Like you can't go a straight line you have to do an end around the base, so a five minute drive turns into twenty minutes. And of course you'll be close to Lynnhaven Mall, which is nice because of all that goes along with that. Pretty much buy whatever you want or need within a very small section of town.

But other than that is quiet, residential, and suburban. And that won't change until you get closer to Norfolk or closer to the Oceanfront. So you're close to the activity but not in the middle of it.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:12 PM

156 posts, read 140,470 times
You will be hard pressed to find what you want in the North end. While you are correct that a number of homes have been on the market for awhile, this has not driven prices down. And as of today, there is only 1 home in the North end for sale with 4 bedrooms that is $599k. Lynnhaven Colony, as Babe says, is subject to flash flooding during heavy rains. Also many properties there require flood insurance. There are 2 properties for sale there as of today under $600k and they are both 3 bedroom homes. If you want those schools, you may wish to look at areas like Cape Henry which is a short walk to the Bay OR neighborhoods like Broad Bay Point Greens, Bay Colony, which are off Great Neck heading away from the Bay. You will not be in the Oceana noise zone. Or, you could look further down the Shore Drive corridor to areas like Chic's Beach, Bay Lake, Church Point. Different elementary school and maybe middle school but same high school. For the past year, we have had a paucity of inventory at certain price points. But as you probably know, this is the time of the year when folks transferring/moving are getting homes ready to go on the market. Zillow/Trulia/Realtor get their info from our Multiple Listing System, so the info could be dated and you will not usually see when a property is under contract. Good luck with your planning and let us know how else we can help!!

Old 02-16-2019, 12:47 PM

4 posts, read 620 times
Babe_Ruth and fmac, we could likely increase our buying price by up to $700k but I am worried that, when it's time for me to sell in a few years, I'll be the one with a house that sits for 10 months. Therefore, $600 is a safer price for me to focus on.

You bring up a good point about the flooding. I was there last year, near the bridge in Lynnhaven, and the restaurants there (Lynnhaven Fish co., I think) were flooded along their patio so I always wondered how bad this gets for the area. I don't want a home that is in a potential flood zone so I will need to work with my realtor on that. On that note; does the North End have the flooding problem? How about the area referred to as North Linkhorn Park in the North End. It is slightly more affordable, still close the beach, good schools, and, perhaps, not in a flood zone??

I am less worried about the jet noise as I am accustomed to this.

Finally, does anyone have feedback on the communities near Lake Joyce called Bayville At Lake Joyce?

Old 02-16-2019, 01:48 PM

156 posts, read 140,470 times
Generally, if the home is in good condition and priced right, it does not sit for long on the market, Obviously there are some exceptions. And of course there is a smaller group of potential buyers in that price range. You mention the North end again. Generally does not have flooding issues like other areas of Virginia Beach. As for flood insurance the mortgage lender will require but what drives the requirement is the elevation of the home. I have been involved with homes in Croatian on the ocean and flood insurance was not required because the homes were elevated. Of the 2 homes I mentioned in Lynnhaven Colony I mentioned before, one appears to be elevated and does not require (according to the listing) flood insurance. The other listing says the flood insurance is over 4k a year. As for Bayville. this development started toward the end of 2017 and 17 homes (including the models) have been built. 5 have sold. While the development touches Lake Joyce, lake from homes are 800 plus. One draw back I have heard is that the access to the development is Shore Drive which is a busy road. Bur you can get a 4 bedroom for under 600k. Cox High School and Great Neck Middle. Different elementary school from the Great Neck area you were first asking about. Bayville is also in the same area I referred to in my first message when I spoke of Chic's Beach, Baylake etc.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:12 AM

1,501 posts, read 909,568 times
Spicey, one other thing I'll mention about North End vs Lynnhaven Colony.. It's a cultural, not geographic/physical contrast I perceive. Lynnhaven Colony area has restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores woven in to the neighborhood. Great Neck/Shore Dr is a well travelled thoroughfare.. It's an open community. North End is more of a neighborhood designed for privacy/isolation.. no 7-11s, laundry mats, etc. You have to get down toward Laskin to start seeing those amenities, (or nuisances, depending on your perspective, etc.) North End is an area where ppl like to walk out on to the beach & not see tourists/visitors. Just thought I'd mention the contrast. Others might be able to confirm/expand. I guess both styles have their advantages.. I like both areas.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 789 times
Default Great description

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Spicey, one other thing I'll mention about North End vs Lynnhaven Colony.. It's a cultural, not geographic/physical contrast I perceive. Lynnhaven Colony area has restaurants, gas stations, grocery stores woven in to the neighborhood. Great Neck/Shore Dr is a well travelled thoroughfare.. It's an open community. North End is more of a neighborhood designed for privacy/isolation.. no 7-11s, laundry mats, etc. You have to get down toward Laskin to start seeing those amenities, (or nuisances, depending on your perspective, etc.) North End is an area where ppl like to walk out on to the beach & not see tourists/visitors. Just thought I'd mention the contrast. Others might be able to confirm/expand. I guess both styles have their advantages.. I like both areas.
Your characterization of the North End vs. Lynnhaven Colony hasn't changed since I was in high school in Virginia Beach in the 1970's. North End was/is like an isolated beach colony. Lynnhaven Colony/Bay Island was more family-oriented, down-to-earth, and convenient if you wanted to do a quick run to, let's say, a supermarket. In any case, you can't go wrong with either area. For a lot of people, the entire northeast area of Virginia Beach was, and still is, the most desirable residential area in Hampton Roads, or Tidewater .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or