U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 204 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am hoping that you guys can help me out some. I am a 31 yr old woman living with my significant other and 8 year old autistic son. We currently live in Newport News but due to the increasing crime rates and just the pure boredom we suffer from living there we have decided that we would like to relocate to the southside by Summer 2020. I am currently debating between Chesapeake and Virginia Beach. Both areas are HUGE so I need some help narrowing down to some awesome neighborhoods. We can afford up to $1800 a month and are looking for a friendly neighborhood that is low on jet noise as my son does have some sensory issues. I would love a 2 bedroom townhome as I live in one now and am not a fan of apartments. I need something that would be close to some great shopping and restaurants. And MOST IMPORTANTLY I need great schools! I need an area that has a top notch elementary and middle school. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 11:30 AM

962 posts, read 1,405,257 times
We like living in the Salem/Glenwood area of Virginia Beach. We get occasional jets, but we're far enough from the bases that it's not every day. The elementary schools in our area are very good (Rosemont Forest, Glenwood, Salem...). You'll probably see the excellent ratings of elementary schools in the Strawbridge area as well, but you'll get much more jet noise over there.

The only other thing I'd look out for sensory issue-wise is not to be too close to the amphitheater in VB, as you can hear the concerts in the summer.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:02 PM

4 posts, read 204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720 View Post
We like living in the Salem/Glenwood area of Virginia Beach. We get occasional jets, but we're far enough from the bases that it's not every day. The elementary schools in our area are very good (Rosemont Forest, Glenwood, Salem...). You'll probably see the excellent ratings of elementary schools in the Strawbridge area as well, but you'll get much more jet noise over there.

The only other thing I'd look out for sensory issue-wise is not to be too close to the amphitheater in VB, as you can hear the concerts in the summer.
Thank you for your reply! I didn't even consider the noise from the amphitheater! I will definitely look into Salem as I have heard some great things about that area

Old 02-22-2019, 03:53 PM

157 posts, read 140,882 times
You did not say if you wanted to rent or buy but you could do either in the Kempsville/ Salem/Glenwood areas.

Old Yesterday, 04:13 AM

4 posts, read 755 times
There are some nice townhouses in the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake. I don’t know the names but there are some @ the Eden way north / Mill Lake Quarter intersection. No jet noise and a very peaceful area right on the Ches/VA Bch border and close to lots of dining and shopping. Sorry I cannot weigh in on the quality of the schools.

Old Today, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmac View Post
You did not say if you wanted to rent or buy but you could do either in the Kempsville/ Salem/Glenwood areas.
My apologies! We would like to rent for at least another year before we buy. I will definitely look into those areas. Thank you!

Old Today, 09:50 AM

4 posts, read 204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slej View Post
There are some nice townhouses in the Greenbrier area of Chesapeake. I donít know the names but there are some @ the Eden way north / Mill Lake Quarter intersection. No jet noise and a very peaceful area right on the Ches/VA Bch border and close to lots of dining and shopping. Sorry I cannot weigh in on the quality of the schools.
Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or