U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:13 AM

26 posts, read 81,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozuye View Post
If you’re a woman, VA Beach all the way. If you’re a man, Charlotte.

I was wondering if you could elaborate on this? I think I already know what you mean. Is it because the beachy areas are usually more fun for women? lol I am a woman. Did you also mean in terms of the dating scene, that VA is better for women? Or just generally? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 06:41 PM

34 posts, read 15,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
There are a good number of "decent restaurants" in Virginia Beach; most of them just happen to be hiding in the strip malls!
Perfect example: Peter Changs

Old 03-04-2019, 11:11 PM

404 posts, read 340,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oduengineer88 View Post
Perfect example: Peter Changs
Yes, that's one that definitely fits.

So is Le Yaca.
As well as Noodle Man.
And Blue Seafood & Spirits.
Route 58 Deli as well.
Oh, and Kyushu is pretty good, too.

All of the above are in unassuming spaces in strip malls in Virginia Beach. All of them have at least a 4.6 out of 5 aggregate rating on Google (and similar scores on the restaurant review sites). You have to be pretty good to get marks like that.

Those are just some of the places I've patronized in VB, and I don't even like eating out much (restaurant taxes in this part of the state are a real drag, plus the really good places are all spread out).

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM

6,382 posts, read 15,838,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Well, Virginia Beach does have a beach but it's crammed full with hotels. I don't know how easy it is for a resident to get to go to the beach.
Locals know the better beaches to go to.

Quote:
There are hardly any decent restaurants, just a lot of chains.

And it's strip malls everywhere. And traffic.
Generally true, with a few exceptions.

Quote:
But I've never been to Charlotte. I'd live around Williamsburg if i had to live anywhere near Virginia Beach, but that's just me. I like some culture and things to do.
Eh, Williamsburg is a very small town, a popular settlement location for retirees. Not my scene. Norfolk has a few cool neighborhoods that I'd look at if I moved back to the area. Norfolk has the symphony, art museum, opera and theater venues, minor league sports teams, etc. Olde Towne Portsmouth is a beautiful neighborhood, a little quieter than the downtown neighborhoods of Norfolk, and less to do, but I'd give it a look too.

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM

5,859 posts, read 5,648,615 times
I don't have a problem with stuff in strip malls. I didn't use to do that back home but I find some interesting places down here.

I also like stuff like Charlie's Cafe, or No Frills Grill. There are good local places in the region one just needs to be adventurous.

I don't think that should be a differentiator as to whether to move here or not though.

Old Today, 06:34 AM

34 posts, read 15,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobber123rd View Post
Yes, that's one that definitely fits.

So is Le Yaca.
As well as Noodle Man.
And Blue Seafood & Spirits.
Route 58 Deli as well.
Oh, and Kyushu is pretty good, too.

All of the above are in unassuming spaces in strip malls in Virginia Beach. All of them have at least a 4.6 out of 5 aggregate rating on Google (and similar scores on the restaurant review sites). You have to be pretty good to get marks like that.

Those are just some of the places I've patronized in VB, and I don't even like eating out much (restaurant taxes in this part of the state are a real drag, plus the really good places are all spread out).
Not that it is a great indicator, but I read there are more Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives locations in the 757 than any other area code
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area