U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 AM

617 posts, read 490,506 times

Advertisements

I drove to work in DC Area traffic for over 35 years. Traffic in the HR area is nothing compared to the metro DC area. Sure it has its bad spots but DC is 100 times worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 10:21 AM

5,877 posts, read 5,668,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovnova View Post
I drove to work in DC Area traffic for over 35 years. Traffic in the HR area is nothing compared to the metro DC area. Sure it has its bad spots but DC is 100 times worse.
If HR does not do what needs to be done to address the failed transportation infrastructure in this area we will close in on DC traffic. I've driven around DC as well. It is not 100 times worse. It is worse, to be sure, but you're really talking about getting stuck in traffic 90 minutes to an hour as compared to maybe 20 minutes to 40 minutes here.

The only thing they are doing here is building more roads. There isn't any more room to build roads. There isn't any more room to build horizontally. Once they start building vertically here, in a meaningful and impactful way, if they don't build out mass transit here it will get really bad, really quick. I'm not talking about vanity projects like what they have at Town Center for the rich I mean really building up because there is no where else to go. Where DC is already at; there are clear, obvious reasons why DC has traffic problems. There are no intelligent, acceptable, reasonable explanations as to why Hampton Roads has traffic problems.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,610,656 times
I agree about the roads however it seems lately some great changes are happening such as implementation of extra lanes for 264 towards Virginia Beach. The other really big change is adding additional lanes on I64 from Bower’s Hill to just over the high rise bridge. This area has been a huge bottleneck for years and the additional lanes should yield a huge improvement.

I-64 Southside - High Rise Bridge :: Home
I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements

Mass transit is clearly lacking but it’s seems most people are so tied to their cars here. The largely suburban nature doesn’t help to change things.

Old Today, 08:43 AM

966 posts, read 1,411,798 times
Wow, callin' me out :P I lived in NoVA for about 10 years and now live in VB, but I kept my job up there, so I am still up there at my corporate office every few weeks or so. I was just up there M-Th this week, in fact.

In NoVA, the key suggestion for commuting is to live as close as possible to your job. In Hampton Roads, I'd highly recommend you live on the same side of the water as your job. Traffic here is NOT as bad as up there, but the tunnels/bridges are the major choking points, especially the HRBT. I left at 4:30am Monday from VB heading up to my office, and I spent an hour parked on the bridge approaching the tunnel of the HRBT because there was an accident in the tunnel. There are very few alternative routes, so if a bridge/tunnel gets blocked, you're pretty much SOL. So I wouldn't recommend trying VB to Williamsburg. That could be less than hour without any traffic, but the odds of having no traffic at the HRBT or along 64 on the peninsula (lots of road work as they're widening it) are definitely a gamble.

I don't do IT work, but I work for a Federal IT contractor. I personally found that pay in HR was much lower than it should be even considering the lower overall COL. I moved from Sterling to VB, and my mortgage (PITI) is a little lower (homeowner's insurance is higher, but housing cost/principle is lower), but my utilities here are much higher, so it's about a wash. Gas is less expensive here, but I was fortunate to not have a long commute in either location, so that didn't help me out much. Groceries may be slightly less expensive, but restaurants have an additional tax, so eating out is more expensive...for me, it's been a challenge because I really expected my COL here to be much lower, and that hasn't been the case in our particular situation.

Old Today, 08:15 PM

177 posts, read 587,098 times
There is a market for remote IT jobs as well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or