U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 06:02 AM

6 posts, read 1,380 times

Advertisements

Hello all. We are moving to the Norfolk/ Virginia Beach area this summer. I've read through as many past post as I could find using the search feature but many topics are dated. Currently, we are house hunting in several areas.

I am looking for feedback from residents, realtors, or folks who really know the area regarding the Larchment Edgewater neighborhood and Ghent. To help guide the responses, we are looking to purchase a four bedroom+ detached home for under $550k.

To help me narrow down my search, can anyone answer:

1. are there specific areas or streets that are more desirable or popular? Please just reference which neighborhood you are referencing in your reply. I am not from the area so I'll need to be specific so I can house hunt.

2. how are the elementary schools?

Thank you all in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 08:07 AM

4 posts, read 1,297 times
Edgewater and Larchmont are terrific neighborhoods. Very stable. Bolling Ave. and north are good areas to look. Not sure about south of Bolling. Also consider the Lochhaven neighborhood further up Hampton Blvd. Larchmont Elementary has a pretty good reputation. Saint Patrick Catholic is also in the neighborhood and I hear it is very good. Although nearby, I don't have personal experience with Ghent, but I think of it as being perhaps a bit more eclectic with a dose of old money.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:55 AM

161 posts, read 143,146 times
I am a Realtor and agree with Bob with respect to Edgewater and Larchmont for families. Ghent also has family homes, but also has many singles and professionals who are either going to school or working in Norfolk. Depending on size, you can get a wide selection of homes currently on the market in the Larchmont area for under your price point. There are few homes available (as of today in our MLS system) in the Ghent area. Many houses in both areas require flood insurance by lenders however. As for schools, the Norfolk Public System, anecdotally, does not rate as high as other cities in the area. But school ratings based on SOL testing and other criteria is available on line. I also recommend to clients that they contact perspective schools and talk to administrators as well as PTA members to get a feel for the school being considered. If you are already working with a Realtor, he/she can provide you with demographics and other specificity you may desire. If you are not working with a realtor and would like more information to include an automatic search of the areas you are interested in, please send me a DM. In any event good luck with your search.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:37 AM

5,896 posts, read 5,672,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceyrack View Post
Hello all. We are moving to the Norfolk/ Virginia Beach area this summer. I've read through as many past post as I could find using the search feature but many topics are dated. Currently, we are house hunting in several areas.

I am looking for feedback from residents, realtors, or folks who really know the area regarding the Larchment Edgewater neighborhood and Ghent. To help guide the responses, we are looking to purchase a four bedroom+ detached home for under $550k.

To help me narrow down my search, can anyone answer:

1. are there specific areas or streets that are more desirable or popular? Please just reference which neighborhood you are referencing in your reply. I am not from the area so I'll need to be specific so I can house hunt.

2. how are the elementary schools?

Thank you all in advance.
To number 1; short answer is no. Longer answer is that things get interesting as you get closer to the Lafayette river. But then on the other side of that it is great all over again. I like the area for being urban. I'm thinking everything out to 53rd. It is generally accepted that Ghent is Brambleton to 22nd, and the Elizabeth River to Monticello.

So basically Ghent is like 22 streets north to south, or east to west.

Don't ever think that the neighborhoods outside of Ghent are going to improve though. They are trying, but there is just too much concentrated poverty/working class outside of Ghent. Again if you go beyond Ghent to the other side of the Lafayatte those are nice upper working class areas, but they're still working class areas. And it is like this all the way up to Ocean View. But they're still great neighborhoods here and there.

To number 2; the schools are good. If I had children, I would not have any issues with any of the schools within Ghent and Larchmont. Within. The neighborhoods outside of these areas I would have concerns. If you have children, live in Larchmont. If you're single live in Ghent, unless you can afford to pay half a million or more. If it matters, the way that the districts are drawn if your kids go to school in Ghent that also includes some of the nearby neighborhoods, like Lafayette, that are more economically diverse than Ghent. That is a nice way of putting it.

You aren't going to get as much land in Ghent as you will in Larchmont. You might not get any land in Ghent at all, as it is majority apartments. Not so much complexes but more of a brownstone, row house vibe over there, and some really old buildings that look like they date to WW II or beyond, but still apartments.

It just depends on how you want to live. You could do a 4 bedroom in Ghent but it probably won't be detached and be more like living in Brooklyn or something than an actual home.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:18 AM

6 posts, read 1,380 times
Great information. I haven’t considered Lochaven. I’ll expand my search to include it. Can anyone elaborate on the flooding in Larchmont? This is completely new to me and I have hesitations about buying a home in a designated flood area. I notice some homes list “no flood insurance required” and wondering if this more or less means these homes are safe from flooding. I’ve also looked at the flood maps and have a better appreciation of how most of Larchmont is in a storm surge or flood zone. I am looking to hear from the residents or experts on what I should consider and look for to mitigate possibility of flooding.

Old Today, 02:24 PM

161 posts, read 143,146 times
Default Flood Zones

You can go to the FEMA website and see the different flood categories for this area. But as I mentioned last month when you were asking about the North End and Lynnhaven Colony in Virginia Beach on another thread, the Flood Insurance requirement is driven by the mortgage lender. And the determination is usually the elevation of the property and the area the property is located. Please remember that your home is the collateral for the mortgage lender. Most Realtors will work with a seller to get an elevation certificate for a home that is going on the market in an area where flood insurance may or may not be required. With that certificate, a Realtor can verify if insurance would be required. Without an elevation certificate, an insurance person who deals in home owners insurance may also be able to ascertain if the lender will require it. I took a quick look in our MLS this afternoon and some of the listings in Larchmont, Lochhaven and Ghent say no flood insurance required and other listings in those neighborhoods say it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area