Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 AM

17 posts, read 47,034 times

Advertisements

I have done a lot of research about Tidewater and I don't know how blue collar workers survive. I can tell it is a highly republican area - average job salaries are below national averages - even after accounting for regional cost-of-living differences. Low benefits and a lot of 1099 jobs so businesses don't have to pay benefits. Are drugs a major problem in Tidewater? It seems as if every job requires a drug test.

The place is booming, Suffolk and Chesapeake were farmland in early '90s. I lived in Va Beach and left because of lack of opportunity/low wages. The place is growing out of control and the wages are still low.

It doesn't make sense to me, do you have to be self-made or a retiree to survive comfortably? I don't see how you can live there on $10 an hour or less.

Last edited by kanihoncho; 04-12-2008 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 01:40 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,296 times
i telecommute, none of the jobs offered locally paid enough, so i work for a place in chicago and telecommute

Old 04-13-2008, 05:18 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,574 times
$10/hr. or less is poverty level. I don't know how anyone would survive in any city on that.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:36 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
The tidewater area is highly "government" employment because of the military. I don't believe I've seen anyone making 10 dollars an hour unless it was a laborer/helper category that does not require any skills. Skilled labor is paid much higher and drug testing is a must (drug use isn't any higher than other cities).

Old 04-13-2008, 08:42 AM

17 posts, read 47,034 times
Default Salaries are way off

I am a graphic designer and an average, equivalent salary, from where I live to make an equivalent living there, from most online sources is $35,000. I cannot find anything advertised above 21-25K. I have used job sites to no avail. They advertise positions with high school or associate's degree in graphic design. There really isn't a recognized associate's degree in graphic design. Ever since secretarial schools started putting out "graphic designers" the field has become very watered down.

I believe my age and salary are being used against me. It's becoming very frustrating. I am also a veteran and that has never helped me in attaining a job as it is not a direct transfer of my skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area