U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:26 AM

486 posts, read 1,735,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindwayne View Post
It amazes me that there are is so much misinformation about oceanview, as in any city there are problem areas. Just because there are more drug arrest in Virginia Beach than Norfolk does not mean you should stay away from Virginia Beach. You can pull up crime reports from every city you will be amazed by where most of the crime is.
I am confused. Oceanview is in Norfolk. No one is saying to stay away from Virginia Beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 11:22 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,906,384 times
Ocean View IS in Norfolk, but only a short distance away is the "Welcome to Virginia Beach" sign. I never really had a problem with ocean view in general. I just won't go way down there by Willoughby Spit (especially at nite). That seems to be where the derelects are.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:08 PM

28 posts, read 84,946 times
Thanks for the input!!!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:49 AM

108 posts, read 399,375 times
I lived in West Ocean View for 2 and 1/2 years before relocating out of state last year. To give you a better idea of where I lived, it was near the Pretlow Branch Library and the Ocean View shopping center with the Farm Fresh and the public beach across the street. There were a couple of murders during the time we were there, but I believe they were all domestic disputes rather than random acts of violence. Also, I think a body was found at the beach, but it was ruled an accidental drowning rather than the result of foul play. Our shed was broken into once and a meth lab was busted less than a mile from our house, but of course these things could happen just about anywhere nowadays. Honestly, we never feared for our lives or anything like that, but we were never really "comfortable" living there. For one thing, it seemed like there were always a few guys just standing around at the shopping center. Now, obviously I have no way of knowing whether they were really dangerous or just had nothing better to do than loiter in the parking lot. However, it was enough to keep my wife from going to the shopping center by herself, at least at night. The next closest option for shopping was Ward's Corner, which was not a whole lot better. Another problem we ran into was that our neighborhood was completely overrun with people during the St. Patrick's Day parade. It was just once a year and it wouldn't have bothered me, except that they tended to leave a lot of trash behind.

Again, I never felt like I was really in danger when I lived in the area. A little common sense goes a long way toward keeping yourself safe. It's definitely not the most dangerous location in Hampton Roads, and as a single person, I probably could have been comfortable living there. However, there were just enough problems like the ones I've described above to make me hesitant about raising a family in West Ocean View.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 AM

26 posts, read 106,916 times
ok so i have lived in ocean view for about 15 years. i LOVE it. there are soo many things going on in the summer, every saturday the concert on the beach, and the festival that comes in may. There are some bad parts of OV but majority of it is not at all what a lot of people remember from years ago. OV is more like a big family. i have never had a problem with guns or drugs and there are addicts EVERYWHERE.. but the one i see dont ask you for anything.. but now the homelessthey will ask for money but where do they not??? any way yeah stay away from willoughby and the bays by shore drive but ANYWHERE in between has been rebuilt and the bad was forced to move. OV is nota bad place to live it is a conveniant location is you work in norfolk, and like i said there is PLENTY to do!!

Old 04-24-2008, 09:49 AM

Judy Boone has done a great job modernizing and cleaning up Ocean View and that park they built about 10 years ago is a fun place to go to. But again, like every other place, you just have to be careful where ya go. I miss the old Harrison Fishing Pier. Judy bought it and rebuilt it after Isabelle, but it's just not the same. We had so much fun fishing there back in the day. Didn't matter who you were or what walk of life you came from, the people were always friendly on that pier. We'd sing all kinds of songs on the pier during the twilight hours of fishing and drinking a few cold ones.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:53 AM

3,255 posts, read 4,499,097 times
I live in complete ignorance and go about my business in the area as I wish and have friends who live in OV and have never felt unsafe leaving their home late at night and driving back to VB. Sadly, the most violence I have encountered in the last two years living here has been between young Navy guys fighting after drinking too much.

Old 04-27-2008, 04:19 PM

jane...understandable. Driving isn't the issue, it's walking. Around the Pretty Lake area and 11th st. I have a friend who works at that 7-11 and says it can get pretty shady at night. I also had friends who lived in the Bayside Condos who enjoyed living there. It all depends on what parts of Ocean View.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 PM

132 posts, read 597,449 times
The OP mentioned they have a new baby, and it would a few years before this would be a consideration, but consider the schools. There are several good private schools,but outside of OV elem, public schools go downhill quckly!

Old 05-04-2008, 11:56 AM

4 posts, read 22,571 times
East Ocean View has million dollar homes on the beach, where the owners are afraid to walk the streets 3 blocks away. O. View has a well-deserved bad rep-- from what I hear from the younger crowd, the gangs have become more violent. In fact, a gang of young teenagers, including a couple of young girls, recently stomped some poor guy to death in O.View. They lured a couple guys over with promises of a party, then jumped them, stripped them naked, & murdered the one guy. Absolutely horrific. Crime in Norfolk is out of control, & the police dep't is way understaffed, tho they're trying to get new hires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area