U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:46 AM

1,653 posts, read 5,025,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin12 View Post
i am looking into buying in ocean view. i am a new home buyer and am not looking for anything huge or upscale, i like old homes, but i want to know what streets or areas to avoid, and which ones are on the upturn.
It's hard to narrow down specific streets/blocks to avoid in Ocean View. I don't hang out in Ocean View very often, so I'm probably not the most qualified to answer, however, no one else did, so I'll tell you what I know. Ocean View is hit or miss. There isn't one part of it that has all the crime and one part completely safe. East Beach seems to be pretty nice, though. I know a guy over there who owns one of those 3 story homes a block from the water. He's got an elevator and everything. His street seems to be pretty quiet and laid back. But it's really best to just go to Ocean View and drive/walk around. See where you feel okay and where you don't. There could be some run-down apartments that seem pretty shady, but a block over there's a brand-new beach home as nice as can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:49 PM

359 posts, read 628,761 times
This post is of offensive crime so please read with discretion.

There was a gang murder near 16th Bay View within the last year - 10 or so people involved and then *poof* gone and a body left.

Does anyone remember an extremely heinous crime within the last two years that happened in OV - more or less near Little Creek rd.? A home invasion in which a mother was brutalized and her son forced to watch. Made me want to explode - there are no words.

Last edited by D train outta nowhere; 12-03-2009 at 09:13 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 39,767 times
Default Smart Move

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
We looked at condo's all over Ocean View last Summer and decided against it because all of the vagrants walking along Shore Drive and congregating in parking lots. The area feels unsafe to me, especially at night. Not necessarily in the residential parts, but if I had to go to the store anywhere nearby, I felt very uneasy. We decided on Chicks Beach.
Smart move dont listen to the realtors and all the ridderick , its not safe and bad investment.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 PM

10 posts, read 39,767 times
Default Doesnt surprize me one bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D train outta nowhere View Post
This post is of offensive crime so please read with discretion.

There was a gang murder near 16th Bay View within the last year - 10 or so people involved and then *poof* gone and a body left.

Does anyone remember an extremely heinous crime within the last two years that happened in OV - more or less near Little Creek rd.? A home invasion in which a mother was brutalized and her son forced to watch. Made me want to explode - there are no words.
I was a long term resident of Norfolk and made a decision to move to chesapeake, 4 years ago. for the exact same reason Norfolk its riddled with gangs and thugs and crime and drugs, Ive seen great nieghborhoods go completely under for these reasons and there never seems to be enough police to go around, the city priorities are not family and safe and great nieghborhoods and Schools, its all about money and whats cookin at the time. I never regreted the decision, Chesapeake has it right and families come first, safety and education are priorities. Community is everything In Chesapeake, Chesapeake is starting to have some influx from the problems of other cities but they are fighting back hard and the city means business when it comes to criminal activity. The citizens are very impowered in chesapeake and participate in city planning and commission hearing. Its not all about big bucks and corporations, its about its citizens and whats best for them. I love deep creek. no more drive by shootings, sirenes burglery, break ins vandalism and tolerating rude and bad behaviors. Its about the people and families and children and the Schools are fabulous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area