U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-20-2007, 07:30 AM

201 posts, read 624,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54321 View Post
This is just my opinion, perhaps it is better to post opinions that are based on recent experience? Some people use these sites for information to make huge life changes, emotional as well as financial.

From another thread, Military Hwy isn't representative of Chesapeake, drive to Great Bridge and/or Hickory to see for yourself.

Somehow, I doubt your opinions on the schools are based on "recent" experience at all. Statistics from some website NEVER paint an accurate picture of anything.

Second, about 75% of Chesapeakes population is located in Northeast Chesapeake, so S. Military IS a very good representation of Chesapeake, not rural Great Bridge or Hickory. Oh yeah, by the way, the only affordable housing in Chesapeake also happens to be located in the Northeast section.

When one describes Virginia Beach, they dont mention Pungo, they either mention the beach area, the Newtown Road area, or the Lynnhaven Parkway area, where the populations are the most dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-20-2007, 05:25 PM

41 posts, read 106,349 times
My volunteer job is entering data from Chesapeake schools and reviewing reports. Numbers can ALWAYS be skewed to show what 'they' want 'us' to see. My opinions are current, but only my opinions.

NE Chesapeake is not representative of Chesapeake, contact a few real estate agents for current information. Also, drive to Great Bridge, it is far from rural, things are changing. With the addition of the new Target, Home Depot with land cleared for all the stores that will follow (technically in Hickory), the new Wal-Mart, Applebees with more land cleared in north Great Bridge, it is becoming the soon-to-be new Greenbrier.

Perhaps NE Chesapeake is affordable for those with "cushy 80k" a year jobs? Housing prices have skyrocketed everywhere, those statistics that NEVER paint an accurate picture say that the housing market on the southside of Hampton Roads are leveling off, but not decreasing as quikcly as they are in some parts of the country that are experiencing the bubble burst. I am well aware of how expensive housing is in southern Chesapeake, we have more trees to clear and build more houses.

I believe the original post was asking for opinions on where to raise a family, I do not believe it it in NE Chesapeake.

If I were looking in Va Beach, many posts seem to guide to the Great Neck and Shore Drive area.

Unread 02-21-2007, 12:31 PM

201 posts, read 624,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54321 View Post
My volunteer job is entering data from Chesapeake schools and reviewing reports. Numbers can ALWAYS be skewed to show what 'they' want 'us' to see. My opinions are current, but only my opinions.

NE Chesapeake is not representative of Chesapeake, contact a few real estate agents for current information. Also, drive to Great Bridge, it is far from rural, things are changing. With the addition of the new Target, Home Depot with land cleared for all the stores that will follow (technically in Hickory), the new Wal-Mart, Applebees with more land cleared in north Great Bridge, it is becoming the soon-to-be new Greenbrier.

Perhaps NE Chesapeake is affordable for those with "cushy 80k" a year jobs? Housing prices have skyrocketed everywhere, those statistics that NEVER paint an accurate picture say that the housing market on the southside of Hampton Roads are leveling off, but not decreasing as quikcly as they are in some parts of the country that are experiencing the bubble burst. I am well aware of how expensive housing is in southern Chesapeake, we have more trees to clear and build more houses.

I believe the original post was asking for opinions on where to raise a family, I do not believe it it in NE Chesapeake.

If I were looking in Va Beach, many posts seem to guide to the Great Neck and Shore Drive area.

1. I dont have to contact a "real estate" agent. When I can look at a map of the area and count the roads on one hand, that is rural.

2. I did not mean "affordable" as in "actually" affordable, I meant affordable for this area. In reality, housing would have to be around 120k for it to be "affordable", and youd be lucky to get a townhouse for that in Portsmouth. Unfortunately, the 300k+ McMansions that are peppered all over Hickory, Western Branch, and Great Bridge, are not even close to affordable. Northeast Chesapeake is the only area in the city that routinely has available housing for around 200k. In fact, if you go out in to the gutters of South Norfolk, you can find many properties well under 200k.

Unread 02-24-2007, 07:26 AM

35 posts, read 86,927 times
Hickory schools are great (Great Bridge too). I live in Hickory and love the life style and schools. I am moving due to retirement from navy and new job. If you want send me an emailand I will send you a link to my listing and answer any questioni can about area.

Unread 01-26-2008, 01:27 AM

24 posts, read 147,173 times
Cox High School is the best school in the area and is a beautiful part of Virginia Beach called the Great Neck area. Close to the beach, Seashore State Park and tons of stores and restaurants along Laskin Road and Great Neck Road. Very safe area with beautiful neighborhoods.

Unread 01-26-2008, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitygirl View Post
We are being transferred from Chicago (with elementary-aged children) and our primary focus is finding a good school in either Chesapeake or VA Beach. It seems as though a good high school can dictate many other important things: good elementary/middle schools, safe neighborhood, good resale value (we will probably move again in 2 years), etc...

We would like a family-friendly neighborhood free of loud jet noise and large power lines (we saw them EVERYWHERE when we went looking for a house). We are willing to spend up to $500K--hopefully less. We are coming from a fabulous newer home and neighborhood in the Chicago burbs and we hope not to settle for less.

We think we narrowed down the areas to Cox, Kellem, Great Bridge and Hickory. Any feedback? We need to find a house ASAP (working with a realtor). Thanks so much!
I just did a lot of research on the schools in the same areas you are looking at. I thought Hickory was the best in Chesapeake, but decided to focus more of VA beach since I liked the neighborhoods around there. Cox was definately one of the better schools, but home prices were more like 700 and up for a decent home. Kellam and Princess Anne is the districts we focused on since it did seem better than Landstown and Ocean Lakes as far as grades go. Someone here said the Red Mill section was bad, and i don't know too much about any of these areas other than just looking around, but Red Mill looked ok as far as nicely kept homes, people, etc. Check out the Largo Mar section zip (23456) It's very nice and close to the ocean at Sandbridge beach..maybe a 10 min drive.

Unread 01-27-2008, 09:15 AM

3,340 posts, read 1,849,485 times
We lived in the Red Mill neighborhood for 2 1/2 years and loved it. My husband was active duty military at the time and that is the only reason we aren't still there. It was so nice being able to walk to dinner at the nearby restaurants and Sandbridge Beach was a short drive. We also would ride our bikes from our house down to the boardwalk and back on the bike trail. I'm really not sure what the riff raff comment was about, as we never experienced anything negative while living there. Our son went to Red Mill elementary and loved it and we were very satisfied with the quality of his education. I had friends with children who attended Kellam, and their only complaint was that the school was more crowded than what they were used to. I think the neighborhood next to ours was called South Shore Estates and would fit nicely into your price range. Good Luck with the move.

Unread 01-27-2008, 09:43 AM

26 posts, read 97,424 times
Unhappy We are here

This is my old post (from last year). We are here and decided on Great Bridge. Not a wise decision for our family. We are used to a different kind of pace and vibe. Wish we would have gone to Virginia Beach.

Unread 01-27-2008, 11:45 AM

3,340 posts, read 1,849,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitygirl View Post
This is my old post (from last year). We are here and decided on Great Bridge. Not a wise decision for our family. We are used to a different kind of pace and vibe. Wish we would have gone to Virginia Beach.
Sorry to hear that, and I didn't even look at the date.

I know how you feel, it is very difficult to get a realistic view of a place and whether or not you will like it, until you are actually living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area