U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 10:43 AM

26 posts, read 138,821 times

Advertisements

We are being transferred from Chicago (with elementary-aged children) and our primary focus is finding a good school in either Chesapeake or VA Beach. It seems as though a good high school can dictate many other important things: good elementary/middle schools, safe neighborhood, good resale value (we will probably move again in 2 years), etc...

We would like a family-friendly neighborhood free of loud jet noise and large power lines (we saw them EVERYWHERE when we went looking for a house). We are willing to spend up to $500K--hopefully less. We are coming from a fabulous newer home and neighborhood in the Chicago burbs and we hope not to settle for less.

We think we narrowed down the areas to Cox, Kellem, Great Bridge and Hickory. Any feedback? We need to find a house ASAP (working with a realtor). Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 12:19 PM

4 posts, read 26,099 times
[moderator cut]

As far as not hearing jet noise...thats pretty much all of Virginia Beach. I live in the Kellam HS area, and love it! My youngest goes to Christopher Farms ES, and its a wonderful school! Please contact me.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-02-2007 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: No realtor advertising or trolling for prospects.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:37 PM

26 posts, read 138,821 times
Thanks so much for the feedback! I am going back to look at houses in the next couple of weeks. I will make sure to contact you when we get settled (sometime in February)--it's always difficult to find your way when you know very few people. By the way, is there beach access from the southeast neighborhoods in the Kellam school area? When looking at a map, it sort of looks like some sort of military base, probably gated off. What beaches do you use and how close are they?

Old 01-25-2007, 09:39 PM

10 posts, read 31,292 times
you can access the beach through sandbridge, a nice beachy area, it's where we go for swimming, but too expensive to live at. there is a base so its a kind of roundabout drive, but a nice one. i live in the kellam high district also, and i would highly recommend it.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:42 PM

41 posts, read 148,558 times
www.vbschools.com/ va beach school link

http://www.cps.k12.va.us/ chesapeake

We moved to Great bridge in 96, my daughter was in 6th grade. That year, GB split and the Hickory school district was formed. Both are excellent. In chesapeake I would only consider these two or western branch (much further from the ocean but it is a very nice area) or Greenbriar Christian Academy as far as private goes. Our daughter went to GB high and is graduating Longwood University in May, and is in competition for a job with a federal law enforcement agency.

Va beach is extremely crowded, you cant get near the beach in the summertime due to tourists. They love to tow cars! Looking at a map, we are southern Chesapeake, we go to the outer banks, nc in the summer. Yes,they have lots of tourists, it isnt near as crowded as va beach and timewise the driving distance is only a 15 min difference. va beach in the winter is great!

be prepared for traffic traffic and more traffic.

I do like living here, I love the winter! We get at least a dusting of snow, a couple of inches can close schools for a day or two.

http://hamptonroads.com/ another local site

good luck, if you need any help, feel free to email me.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:49 AM

201 posts, read 842,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitygirl View Post
We think we narrowed down the areas to Cox, Kellem, Great Bridge and Hickory. Any feedback? We need to find a house ASAP (working with a realtor). Thanks so much!

The Cox school district is the best by far of all of those, and also the priciest. Im sure you could find a nice house, even there, for half a million. Im not sure what jobs you have though, that pay enough to afford that.

Kellam is one of the worst schools in Virginia Beach, and Im not that familiar with Great Bridge or Hickory to be able to give you a micro analysis of them.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:44 AM

Lethal, micro analysis?
Quote "Kellam is one of the worst schools in Virginia Beach). What facts are this statement based on and where do you get them from? I perosnally do not know about va beach schools, I know more about Great Bridge and Hickory since that's where I live. Based on the above links and some simlar state based school links. Just curious what facts make you say that about kellam?

Old 02-19-2007, 10:11 AM

201 posts, read 842,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54321 View Post
Lethal, micro analysis?
Quote "Kellam is one of the worst schools in Virginia Beach). What facts are this statement based on and where do you get them from? I perosnally do not know about va beach schools, I know more about Great Bridge and Hickory since that's where I live. Based on the above links and some simlar state based school links. Just curious what facts make you say that about kellam?

Kellam probably has gotten somewhat better since I was in High School though, the reason being is that they constructed Landstown High School, which filtered off a good portion of the rif raff that used to pollute Kellam.

Now the only questionable neighborhood going to Kellam is Red Mill, but outside of that, they take pretty much everyone living in the sticks.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:29 PM

This is just my opinion, perhaps it is better to post opinions that are based on recent experience? Some people use these sites for information to make huge life changes, emotional as well as financial.

From another thread, Military Hwy isn't representative of Chesapeake, drive to Great Bridge and/or Hickory to see for yourself.

Someone mentioned Greenbrier and not hearing any trucks/sirens and something else at night. Great Bridge roads are relatively empty by 8-830pm. I think it's related to the huge military presence, they start at 6am!

stltova, welcome to Chesapeake, I hope you give it more time. It sounds as if you've met some unfriendly people. We also rented in townhouses when we first moved here, and some people's attitude wasn't very friendly. I think townhouse rental complexes aren't truly indicative of what people are like outside of that complex.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:24 AM

1,154 posts, read 3,434,602 times
You might try using www. Schoolmatters.com to compare Cox, Kellam, Great Bridge & Hickory schools. It will allow you to compare any schools within the state of Va. You can also compare against the schools your kids are/ were attending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area