U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 04:18 PM

25 posts, read 27,990 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Since I left CA almost ten years ago I've lived in MO, PA, NY, SC and now VA. The winters here will be cold for you compared to CA. Not only is it colder, but the humidity here is higher, thus making it feel colder than it would in So Cal. Having said that, I have gotten used to the winters in the east and the transitions is not too bad. The humid summers may be worse.

When I left CA years ago I realized that the weather in So Cal is as good as anywhere in the world. But there is so much more to life. The peace and calmness of life here compared to CA is worth it for me. You will also experienced some of the southern hospitality and politeness. When I first moved to the Charleston area I heard the word "sir" more in five years than I did for fifty years in CA. Life slows down and the pace, although it takes some getting used to, becomes a true delight. I now have much more time to simply think.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 07:16 AM

2,579 posts, read 1,393,200 times
They happen. Downtown Petersburg was hit hard a few years back. The 1993 Tornado in Petersburg

Everywhere has risks I suppose.

Old 02-24-2021, 01:54 PM

43 posts, read 41,643 times
Default Earthquakes and other natural disasters

Earthquakes in Southeastern VA are not an issue. I believe we had a minor tremor a few years ago, but I didn't feel anything. Tornados have occurred a few times, but are extremely rare. We have had a few tropical storms hit the area in the 40 years I have lived here, and living in a flood zone can be a little concerning at times.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:16 PM

12 posts, read 11,879 times
I initiated to have my license in Virginia and planning on visiting Virginia Beach and Williamsburg on March 22.
Anyone can give me an idea how is life in Virginia Beach?

Old 02-25-2021, 04:21 PM

43 posts, read 41,643 times
I live in Virginia Beach and so do my family and friends. What do you want to know?

Old 02-28-2021, 09:24 PM

I would like to know best and safest places to buy a house in or around Virginia Beach. I love the nature, and the green in Virginia. I am seeking a quite beautiful location I can call home. I have a beautiful townhouse in California but I can’t afford the house I would like. I visited Virginia several times and really loved it.
How much does it snow in Virginia? I understand summer is humid and hot. Being from Brasil I don’t mind it.
I am also thinking in Williamsburg, but not sure if I can have my private practice there. Not sure if there will be enough people interested in Psychotherapy in Williamsburg. At the moment I am only seeing patients through telehealth.
I am Latina, from Brasil and speak Portuguese and Spanish. I noticed that there is not many Hispanics in Virginia. I am used to work with Hispanics here in Cali.
I will be there for 2 days in March. I look forward to that!
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:39 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,523,721 times
There are TONS of Hispanics in Virginia; mostly Salvadoreans and Bolivians, plus Ecuadorean, Peruvians, Honduras, Guatemalans, there are a few Mexicans here and there
They are in the Washington DC Suburbs of Northern Virginia.
[url]https://www.novahispanicchamber.com/[/url]

Brazilians and Colombians are in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC

The largest Hispanic majority in Tidewater is Mexican but it is no where near the numbers of Hispanics in Northern Virginia

Williamsburg strikes me as white, preppy, monied, quiet people who summer in Marthas Vineyard but I could be wrong

Old 03-01-2021, 08:32 PM

361 posts, read 1,412,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotherapist View Post
I would like to know best and safest places to buy a house in or around Virginia Beach. I love the nature, and the green in Virginia. I am seeking a quite beautiful location I can call home. I have a beautiful townhouse in California but I can’t afford the house I would like. I visited Virginia several times and really loved it.
How much does it snow in Virginia? I understand summer is humid and hot. Being from Brasil I don’t mind it.
I am also thinking in Williamsburg, but not sure if I can have my private practice there. Not sure if there will be enough people interested in Psychotherapy in Williamsburg. At the moment I am only seeing patients through telehealth.
I am Latina, from Brasil and speak Portuguese and Spanish. I noticed that there is not many Hispanics in Virginia. I am used to work with Hispanics here in Cali.
I will be there for 2 days in March. I look forward to that!
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me.
There are Brazilians on the Peninsula (Wburg, NN). In fact one of the doctors that works in my medical practice is Brazilian and there are several others I know personally that live in the Peninsula area.. The Brazilians I know tend to be more well to do and professionals. Psychotherapy seems to be big in the Peninsula, a family friend of ours has her own practice in Williamsburg.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:27 PM

Wow, you made my day. It is great to know there are Brazilians in Virginia. The demographics show a small percentage of Hispanic either non-whites or whites, which made me wonder how is the "acceptance" of Latinos in Virginia.
My friends have been trying to discourage me to leave LA and go to Virginia. It is a little scary, I admit it. I will be going alone with my 3 dogs. Williamsburg is in my heart. I just feel this connection with the area.
I will be visiting on March 22 and 23.
Thanks for your information.

Old 03-01-2021, 11:31 PM

Default Hispanics in Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
There are TONS of Hispanics in Virginia; mostly Salvadoreans and Bolivians, plus Ecuadorean, Peruvians, Honduras, Guatemalans, there are a few Mexicans here and there
They are in the Washington DC Suburbs of Northern Virginia.
https://www.novahispanicchamber.com/

Brazilians and Colombians are in the Maryland suburbs of Washington DC

The largest Hispanic majority in Tidewater is Mexican but it is no where near the numbers of Hispanics in Northern Virginia

Williamsburg strikes me as white, preppy, monied, quiet people who summer in Marthas Vineyard but I could be wrong
I guess I will be the minority.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area