Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:37 PM

26 posts, read 60,552 times

Advertisements

There is a new pizza joint behind the Ted off Hampton Blvd at Old Dominion University village called SoBo (South of Bolling). SMOKE FREE! 35 beers on tap (yay Stella!). Opens at 4:00PM.

So far, so good. Pizza crust has a nice firm crust. Sort of a new age menu, but they do have Pepperoni! The white pizza is very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:08 PM

328 posts, read 1,540,067 times
Cogans in Ghent is good in Ghent/Norfolk..And pies there are $5.00 off on Sundays. Also, how about Shorebreak in Virgina Beach off of Great Neck. Anyone recommend Doughboys on or by 24TH Street in VA Beach?? (I have a Entertainment Book with a 50% off coupon in it; was wondering if it was worth using?)

Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 PM

328 posts, read 1,540,067 times
Oh, and the Sal's you are talking bout Thorn, you mean in the 2800 block of Va Beach Blvd?
Cause I know there is or was a place called La Bella Italia also in Virginia Beach..I want to say it off of Laskin though

Old 05-08-2008, 05:14 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
Mona Lisa on S. Lynhaven is great also. They deliver and their pizza's are very good. Pembroke pizza isn't bad either, though unlike Primo Pizza, they don't have sliced sausage.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:13 AM

7 posts, read 19,693 times
If you are on the Peninsula try Capri Pizza located in Willow Oaks Shopping Center in Hampton. Or Mama BullBoxer31 Restaurant in Phoebus has good pizza too.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:44 AM

361 posts, read 1,465,436 times
In Newport News, the Brickhouse Tavern in Port Warwick is very good

Old 05-09-2008, 02:59 PM

67 posts, read 266,817 times
nimmo bella pizza, red mill commons, vb, at last!!! good pizza close by!!

Old 05-09-2008, 06:06 PM

162 posts, read 801,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastgrl View Post
nimmo bella pizza, red mill commons, vb, at last!!! good pizza close by!!
I second this! It's really good! We live nearby and recently discovered Nimmo Bella Pizza. It's on the little strip of stores across the road from the new Target. It's across the parking lot from Handel's Ice Cream.

We also eat at Planet Pizza on 9th and Atlantic at the oceanfront quite often. Their regular cheese pizza is great as are their specialty pizzas. Prices are very good for an oceanfront eatery! You can also get coupons for Planet Pizza in the tourist books at the oceanfront. Parking for VA Beach residents is only $1 after 5pm during tourist season.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:57 PM

57 posts, read 222,346 times
Bikes...thanks for catching that, my brain was not on. I meant to say Sal's Bella Pizza . Yes the one in 2800 Block of the Blvd. Though I constantly frequent (and love to death) La Bella Italia, but I guess that's more of a brick oven pizza than a true "NY style" pizza.

Watch out you don't mix it up with the Sal's in Regency, they are NY pizza, but it's not that good.

Some other recommendations to newcomers, not necessarily NY style:

I tried Casa Pizza behind the K-Mart in Town Center. Tasted curiously almost like the Freschetta frozen pizzas, which aren't bad at all, but expecting something better than that quality for a delivered pizza.

There's a lot of bad pizza at the Oceanfront, unfortunately. Doughboys is filling, but not that good, imo. Another one to avoid is Pizzeria (pronounced piezzeria)..yechhh.

Chicho's has been around a long time..a local's spot (the bigger restaurant is around Pacific and 28th). Kinda cardboard-y, but after a few beers the spicy sauce version tastes not bad at all.

I'm a huge fan of Papa John's. Nice to see ingredients that are mostly natural (in their hand-tossed anyway) in a major chain.

Cal's is passable, I like their wings and calzones better than their pizza. Local chain Chanello's is....um, scary!

Last edited by thorntonm; 05-09-2008 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: add-on

Old 05-16-2008, 04:43 PM

162 posts, read 801,685 times
Quote:
Another one to avoid is Pizzeria (pronounced piezzeria)..yechhh.
I 2nd that! We were NOT impressed!

I forgot to mention in my previous post that the two places I mentioned both have NY style pizza.

We also like Pungo Pizza, but I don't know if I'd call it "NY Style." The sauce is very dark. It's good in its own way, though. Given the choice, though, I just prefer the lighter tomato flavor of Planet Pizza and Nimmo Bella Pizza.

A lot of people like Reginella's at Loehmann's Plaza. It's ok. Not the best, not the worst.

On another note, I'd love to find some place in Virginia Beach that knows how to make steamed shrimp the right way! We are originally from MD and have never had it steamed and had the Old Bay sprinkled on the top after steaming until we moved here. In MD, shimp is steamed with tons and tons of Old Bay already on it. I make it that way at home quite often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area