Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 15,967 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am a military member moving to the Hampton area. I will be working at Langley AFB, and am trying to figure out just where to look for a home. I don't want to have to drive longer than 30 minutes to get to the gates, and I also don't want to be in a bad neighborhood! (Had a nice opportunity on a house in NN, but had a friend go check it out and he wouldn't go within a block of the house he was so scared!!)

My family consists of my two kids, 2 and 6, my wife, and myself. 30 years old and like nightlife along with the beach. We want our kids in decent schools and would like neighbors you can actually talk to and visit with!

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 11:17 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,812 times
That's a pretty broad question. What's your price range? Are you only interested in houses, or also townhomes and condo's?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:31 AM

Sorry about that, forgot to add a price range!! We're looking to rent, no more than 1300/mo. Townhomes would be ok, not sure about condo's though, I've never lived in one, and not sure how managable they are with kids. Also, I have a 35lb dog and a cat!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:53 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,453,449 times
A townhome with a yard would be in your price range.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:44 PM

Ok, that sounds decent enough, any suggestions on good areas? Areas to avoid? I know a lot of the neighborhoods are nice, but then again, some are not so nice. I just don't want to end up next to joe's chop shop or cindy's pawn shop, you know what I mean?

Old 05-08-2008, 09:53 AM

7 posts, read 19,693 times
Some nice neighborhoods are Willow Oaks, Malvern, Phillips Lake, Elizabeth Lakes, Back River, Riverdale, Riverpoint. These neighborhoods are, I would say between 5-15 minutes to Langley AFB. Michael Woods is another nice neighborhood and it's very convenient to Langley and all other areas around the Peninsula.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Great! Thanks for the information, I'll look into those areas ASAP!! I have 3 weeks and counting!

Old 05-08-2008, 02:46 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,318 times
You might want to check out militarybyowner.com You can narrow it down to rentals and see what is available. If you see things you are interested in, you can post the neighborhood and we may be able to offer opinions/advice that way as well.
It's a great area!

Old 05-08-2008, 04:04 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,158 times
Benny--

We are PCSing too to Langley-- we are looking at Michaels Woods as suggested, there are also some good neighborhoods on the eastern side of Langley too, that are a little more reasonable. York county is supposed to be good, but good luck finding anything in your price range-- ours is around $1900-2200 a mnth morgage, and no luck with even rentals. Also look at the Kiln Creek area in Newport News. We are really looking here because my son has autism, and they have an autism center, but KK elementary school is VERY highly rated. If you go south of 64 by the mall in NN, it's pretty nice (I think it's called Oyster Point). Just stay north of Mercury. Also see if your sponsor can send you noise contour map of the area. I lived near F-16s when I was stationed at Cannon and those suckers are LOUD, I can't imagine F-22s.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGervais220 View Post
Some nice neighborhoods are Willow Oaks, Malvern, Phillips Lake, Elizabeth Lakes, Back River, Riverdale, Riverpoint. These neighborhoods are, I would say between 5-15 minutes to Langley AFB. Michael Woods is another nice neighborhood and it's very convenient to Langley and all other areas around the Peninsula.
right on the money but dont forget Bellegrade by the York County line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area