Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 04:51 PM

13 posts, read 37,578 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 8 with six kids between 1 and 14.

From everything I've seen it appears Fords Colony is ideally suited for seniors.

I'm looking for a mature, beautiful, lush community that's gated like Kingsmill or Fords Colony but has loads of families with young kids.

Any suggestions for neighborhoods to consider?

Lastly, what neighborhoods are families flocking to based upon public school ratings/zoning. Seems like Fords Colony and Kingsmill isn't zoned for the best schools according to websites like greatschools.org

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 02:20 PM

1,185 posts, read 1,489,091 times
Both are in abysmal school districts.

You're going to find Williamsburg as a whole to be suited for seniors.

What brings you to the area?

Old 04-23-2021, 04:01 PM

13 posts, read 37,578 times
Grew up in Newport News and considering moving back near family. Our jobs are flexible, we can live anywhere.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:47 PM

7,123 posts, read 3,947,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emsmith1147 View Post
We are a family of 8 with six kids between 1 and 14.

From everything I've seen it appears Fords Colony is ideally suited for seniors.

I'm looking for a mature, beautiful, lush community that's gated like Kingsmill or Fords Colony but has loads of families with young kids.

Any suggestions for neighborhoods to consider?

Lastly, what neighborhoods are families flocking to based upon public school ratings/zoning. Seems like Fords Colony and Kingsmill isn't zoned for the best schools according to websites like greatschools.org

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!
I'm in New Town in a condo. There are children around. Probably, there are more children in New Town single family houses. Shirley Park in New Town is under construction now and those finished single family houses seem to have kids stuff around.

This area seems to have kids https://mrwilliamsburg.com/neighborh...lliamsburg-va/

You need a realtor for more info.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:41 PM

102 posts, read 131,282 times
Default New Town Activities

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I'm in New Town in a condo. There are children around. Probably, there are more children in New Town single family houses. Shirley Park in New Town is under construction now and those finished single family houses seem to have kids stuff around.

This area seems to have kids https://mrwilliamsburg.com/neighborh...lliamsburg-va/

You need a realtor for more info.
What kind of community activities are there in New Town (year round and summers)? We are considering relocating from Long Island to the Hampton Roads area (to be near daughter and son-in-law) in the next year or 2. I am thinking a condo (single level) might be easier on us as seniors (vs a home with maintenance). We briefly visited New Town in November and I liked the idea of being able to walk to places.

Is there public transportation (year round or seasonal) for the College of William and Mary? (I understand they have lifelong learning for seniors).

Thanks for any info.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:57 PM

7,123 posts, read 3,947,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Flo View Post
What kind of community activities are there in New Town (year round and summers)? We are considering relocating from Long Island to the Hampton Roads area (to be near daughter and son-in-law) in the next year or 2. I am thinking a condo (single level) might be easier on us as seniors (vs a home with maintenance). We briefly visited New Town in November and I liked the idea of being able to walk to places.

Is there public transportation (year round or seasonal) for the College of William and Mary? (I understand they have lifelong learning for seniors).

Thanks for any info.
Next to New Town's Trader Joe's, there is a city bus that goes directly to Colonial Williamsburg stopping at W&M.

New Town's Shirley Park has ranch style houses on 10th of an acre. The upkeep of lawn is included with the HOA. The construction takes about a year. There are many condo's. I don't think they are one level, but I could be wrong.

My realtor said Williamsburg is more popular now than it's been in the last twenty years. Houses are sold within a weekend at list price.

New Town has a nice walking path surrounding a wooded area. People walking their dogs during the weekdays. It seems like everyone has a dog! I'm enjoying it. I also enjoy living 5 minutes from Trader Joe's and Earth Fare (a more down to earth Whole Foods). There is no Italian grocery stores, but there are transplanted Brooklyn pizza makers.

Once Covid is over, many seniors volunteer at Colonial Williamsburg. It's also classified as an Arboretum. There are many gardening volunteers. There is an active Williamsburg gardening club. There seems to be a large population of seniors in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area