Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,950 times

Advertisements

My husband is being transferred to NAS Oceana, and I will be attending law school at William and Mary (in Williamsburg). We are trying to figure out where we should live. We'd like an easier commute for him since my schedule will be much more flexible than his. Is the traffic consistently bad, or is it just bad during rush hour?

We want to buy a house, and our budget is 250,000 - 300,000. We could care less about schools, as we're not planning on having kids for a while, but safety will be a big issue since my husband will be gone on deployments for several months at a time and I will be living alone.

If anyone has any advice about what areas, neighborhoods, or even cities other than Va Beach we should concentrate on, I would really appreciate it!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 06:54 AM

82 posts, read 300,447 times
There are a lot of nice neighborhoods south of I-264 in your price range. The closer you get to I 64 or I-264 will make your commute a little easier, but no matter you will be going thru a tunnel. Its not a fun commute from southside to Williamsburg. Depending on what your work hours or school schedule is you may want to use that in determining where you live.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 AM

136 posts, read 515,654 times
Hi. You should consider how many days a week you will be at school and what hours in order to make your traveling to school quicker. A later class schedule would be better for getting to WM faster, but that may not allow for the courses you need. I would go with a place in virginia beach close to the interstate. It sounds like you will be able to get a decent enough place for the amount you are willing to spend. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:07 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
My neighborhood is running in the 270's and no, I will not sell you my house!
Windsor Oaks, Windsor Woods are good areas. The farther east you go, the more jet noise you will hear (if you like jet noise)

Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,592 times
Default Jet noise in Virginia Beach

Hi,
Can someone explain to me what it means as "you go farther East" the jet noise is worse? How would I find out where these jet noise are? I am looking to relocate in the next 6 months and will be looking for a house/condo but the only place I heard a lot is Cox district with no noise. Is there anywhere else that has no jet noise besides Cox? Do I have any other options? Kim.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,857 times
Hampton or Norfolk, but Hampton would be more in the middle. Theres crime in every city so pick your posion. I perfer Norfolk over all of the seven cities but my wife says I'm bias.

Good Luck

Old 01-05-2009, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgetemail View Post
Hi,
Can someone explain to me what it means as "you go farther East" the jet noise is worse? How would I find out where these jet noise are? I am looking to relocate in the next 6 months and will be looking for a house/condo but the only place I heard a lot is Cox district with no noise. Is there anywhere else that has no jet noise besides Cox? Do I have any other options? Kim.
Oceana Air Base is on the FAR East end of Virginia Beach, which means, the closer you get to the air base, the louder the jet noise is.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:56 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
bridgetemail wrote:
the only place I heard a lot is Cox district with no noise.
For 16 years I lived 3/4 miles from Cox HS in Great Neck Estates, and believe me there was plenty of jet noise! Whoever told you that there is no jet noise in the COX area is stretching the truth, which is kinder and gentler than calling them a liar. Must have been a real estate agent to tell you something like that!

As for the OP. You guys are in a pickle. One of you will have to do the commuting. Your husband is likely to be a part time resident, so he'll probably be faced with the commute less frequently than you will. I'd suggest that you live as close to W & M as possible to cut down on your driving time, since you'll be living here full time. IMO, it'll be less stressful for you.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-05-2009 at 12:10 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 12:06 PM

You can also tell on the real estate sites that are located in a "noisy" area. There will be a "+" sign with a number designation. The higher the number, the more noise there is.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:16 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
Erma wrote:
You can also tell on the real estate sites that are located in a "noisy" area. There will be a "+" sign with a number designation. The higher the number, the more noise there is.
True, but it's somebody elses concept of what is noisy or not noisy. Someone else's concept of quiet might be unbearable to you. IMO, the best thing to do is to spend some time in the area where you're thinking of living to find out wether or not it meets your own criteria of quiet. In my experience, living in the quiet zone of the COX dsitrict was the noisiest place I've ever lived...by far. I'm obviously not one of those people with an I love jet noise bumper sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area