U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:20 AM

486 posts, read 1,735,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindwayne View Post
I didn't know anyone under 70 lived in that building, thats what happens when people are home all day with nothing to do. While I do live in east ocean view I try to make Green Parrot, a couple times a week. Try the Cutty Sark over in east beach the people with million dollar homes that go there are down to earth.
More like 80, actually. I met a guy on the elevator the other day who looked to be late 30's. He said he had just moved in. There are 12 units in there for sale now, so maybe we'll get some younger people in the place.
We keep our boat at Taylor's Landing and have heard about Cutty Sark. Our friend Howard "The Duck" is a regular there. I love Surfrider over there too. All of ther people at our marina (from millionaires to people who live there on their ancient boats) are super nice. I went to Green Parrot for the first time Tuesday and liked the crowd and staff a lot.

Last edited by jhrichmond; 05-23-2008 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:28 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
Surf Rider at Taylor Landing is my favorite of the 3 Surf Riders. Blue Crab is good too, but there are too many kids that work there and the service can be really crummy.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM

126 posts, read 534,393 times
Hi JHR,

I apoligize for your experience. Here is my take on your situation:

A real estate attorney I have worked w/ for years likes to say "condominiums are the purest form of a democracy" - the board is the government, others are "the people". My guess is that your friend is or was on the BOD. For second home owners, condos have their advantages but also some big disadvantages.

Sometimes what is on one's mind at the time dictates how one reacts to, or is perceived by others. Some of the friendliest people I have come across have been while hiking up Cowles Mountain in San Diego (on vacation). Once I counted 12 straight individuals or couples that said hello before I had the chance. Yet one could certainly find rudeness in that city based on just the crowdedness alone. Certainly if I had a job there or a large mortgage payment I may not look happy approaching those other hikers.

I too have spent time in the Bahamas (Eleuthra). The people there are awesome in my opinion, just those with prejudices need not apply. Nassau not so nice, unless confined to the expensive hotels, IMO.

It is too bad you did not head east down the beach a mile or so. You would have met by far the friendliest guy on the Chesapeake Bay beach this Memorial Day weekend. (see attachment) He smiles and says HI! to everyone.

For restaurants, you will get great service and fish tacos at Hot Tuna. Good pizza and nice "kids" serving it at Shorebreak. Try Zia Marie in Chick's beach too, especially in the Fall. The Smokehouse Cooler is my favorite bar/restaurant.

We friendlies are out here (even in 23451). If you want to find really friendly people, head to the CockIsland (Sailboat) Race in Portsmouth in June. I have found those that sail on boats worth between say $1000 and $180,000 all share a common bond and will welcome you on their boat while rafted up. Or try the Cape Story By The Sea Oyster Fest in November. There you'll get to drink beer and eat oysters with rednecks, old-timers, yuppies, you name it. On the flip side, I have much experience being friendly and going out of my way to help people. You would be suprised at how often it appears unappreciated.

-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Rudeness in 23451.  Is it just me?-mr.friendly.jpg  

Last edited by Mark Sr.; 05-27-2008 at 08:05 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the suggestions Mark. What a cutie! Yes, the people a mile to the east seem friendlier. Like I said, I love Ocean View and Chicks Beach people (minus crackheads). Have you noticed that the boardwalk at my building was blown down by a North Easter? It looks horrendous, yellow tape everywhere. Old people have to walk to the beach via the field where the Duck-In was. And noone knows if or when it will be fixed. It was built improperly to begin with. God forbid we see last year's surplus of funds (almost 50K) put to use. If I had a unit for sale in there, with no real beach access, I would be absolutely livid! Well, more livid than I already am.
We have become sort of regulars at Dockside. The people there are pretty nice and down to earth.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:39 PM

689 posts, read 1,324,034 times
Mark Sr -- If I may pick your brain . . . I see you have a young child, and am wondering what you think of the VB schools, especially elementary? IF you plan on sending your beautiful little boy to private school, can you make a recommendation? My husband and I are considering moving to HR, and we have a young son. He'd be in daycare now, but we still want to be in a good school district. Any good daycares, btw? Thanks!

Old 06-04-2008, 06:40 PM

126 posts, read 534,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novanwbie View Post
Mark Sr -- If I may pick your brain . . . I see you have a young child, and am wondering what you think of the VB schools, especially elementary? IF you plan on sending your beautiful little boy to private school, can you make a recommendation? My husband and I are considering moving to HR, and we have a young son. He'd be in daycare now, but we still want to be in a good school district. Any good daycares, btw? Thanks!
Hi,

Being a real estate agent, I am careful about what I say of schools. I recommend checking out GreatSchools.com or Virginia Beach City Public Schools for indiv. school sites.

That being said, as a parent I think VB schools are great when compared to many other areas. My two sons will attend John B. Dey and GN Middle (which I believe will be a all new school by then). I went to Kingston Elementary from '78-'82. I would be delighted to send mine there now as well.

I do not want to discuss our current school status on an open forum but would be glad to advise privately on it.

I am not sure on daycares. We are very fortunate to have 2 sets of Gparents locally.

Sorry to hijack post, jrichmond.

-Mark

Old 11-20-2008, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,374 times
I am not surprised you had a bad experience in your condo. I found out a few years back that the condo life was not something that I could grow to appreciate. I had a friend of mine who loved his ....however he was the president of the condo association. I wouldn't ever buy one again, I felt like I was treated like a kid being told what to do by a parent.
I don't believe you should conclude that your experience in your condo should extrapolate to the rest of Virginia Beach. I have found most people being very laid back and not rude. Of course you can find rude people if you seek them out. I certainly found my experience in New York a culture shock to me of the general unpoliteness of the people. However, if you got below the general insensitivity of the population, there are lot of great people there as well.
I read a book a few years back, the way it's supposed to be read, and it really helped me with my general outlook on life.
[URL]http://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Salesman-World-Og-Mandino/dp/055327757X[/URL]
It is a small book but really was fantastic. (copy and paste between the /URL brackets)
Nearby where you live is Bay Island, A really great place to live. The people that live there are very friendly, you should check it out. It might be for the most part over that 500k price you were looking for, however, two foreclosures just recently sold for $475k, one had nice water behind it and the other had a nice view.

Good Luck!
-Robert
ps. the person looking for a day care in the area, I found Broad Bay Manor to be the best! My children were all reading before they went to kindergarden.

Last edited by rakyn; 11-20-2008 at 07:25 AM..

Old 11-20-2008, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the info. I don't live there. It's my weekend retreat. We have gorgeous 15th floor views of the ocean, Bridge Bay tunnel, and Lynnhaven Inlet. My husband fishes under the Lessner Bridge so waterfront is all we are interested in. If we decide to move there and sell our homes in Richmond (and the condo in VB), we could probably go up to 1,000,000. I have seen the homes on Bay Island and if we do move to the area, we will probably look at waterfront homes there.
I was PMSing when I started this thread. Things have gotten a lot better. The bartenders and staff of the restaurants across the street from us all know us and we've made several friends in the building.
I would buy a condo again, but not in a highrise. The a-hole downstairs from us called security a couple of weeks ago and told him that we had contractors in our condo at 9 p.m. after my husband dropped a jar on the floor accidently. My mom was in town and couldn't believe it. Plus our association fees are almost $600/mo. Our condo association is extremely corrupt and the building manager is an old chauvinistic idiot.
I just grin and bear it now, there's nothing I can do about it. I'm not interested in people who create negative energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or