Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:00 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,851,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhrichmond View Post
Ok. I always thought my condo was on Chick's Beach, but realize now that it's technically not. It's the building next door to where the Duck-In used to be (Harbour Gate). I am a very easygoing gal, but the area is so stuck up and rude! Is it just me? I realize this is where most of the elite in the area live, but I have been around people with money most of my life and have never encountered the sense of self entitlement that I see in the grocery stores, restaurants, on the roads, etc.
I was actually yelled at like a dog by the VP of my condo assoc. (who's like 85 years old) at my first meeting because I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to talk during "closed forum". My husband will be speaking with him about that, but to me, it's just human decency.
Our downstairs neighbor called us (at home on a Saturday night) and told us that our remodeling has made 3 months of his life hell and that it's "people like us" who ruin everything for them. This was the first he had complained, except one time when our contractor was there after 5 (which is against the rules and never happened again).
I have never felt so unwelcome in a community. We are friends with everyone in our neighborhood in Richmond. We have just finished a massive remodel and now I really just want to sell the place.
Sorry for the rant, but it has really gotten to the point that I don't even want to spend time at the beach house my husband and I work so hard to afford. Is all of VB like this, or is it my zip code? The kids who work at Chick's Oyster Bar are so rude and unfriendly, I avoid the place now. I have encountered much friendlier people in the actual Chick's Beach restaurants, like the Green Parrot.
Again, sorry for the rant, but it's been eating at me. Maybe I just need to get a tougher skin.

I am sorry that you had such a bad expereince..........people are people though anywhere you live no matter how much money they have or don't have. I am a pretty sensitive person myself and have encountered this type of behavior any place I have lived....I have tried to have just peace within myself and realize that "their" actions do not play a factor in my life. I am kind of going through the same thing here in FL......but I think it has to do with people not being happy within themselves...it is not you, trust me. Try not to take it personally as hard as that may be.....believe me, I know. Don't let that ruin you from enjoying the beach!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 07:10 PM

486 posts, read 1,941,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
I am sorry that you had such a bad expereince..........people are people though anywhere you live no matter how much money they have or don't have. I am a pretty sensitive person myself and have encountered this type of behavior any place I have lived....I have tried to have just peace within myself and realize that "their" actions do not play a factor in my life. I am kind of going through the same thing here in FL......but I think it has to do with people not being happy within themselves...it is not you, trust me. Try not to take it personally as hard as that may be.....believe me, I know. Don't let that ruin you from enjoying the beach!
That's so funny. I'm from Alabama and have family with a beach condo in the panhandle. They have the same problems with their neighbors as we do here. It reminds me of Phase II of Del Boca Vista, where Jerry's parents lived on Seinfeld. These people take the whole Condo Owners Assoc. thing so overboard.
Thanks to everyone for coming to my little pity party. I realize that I am overly sensitive sometimes and I should just be happy that I have what I do. Obviously, some people are miserable and it shows in their attitudes.
I'm going to see how the Summer goes before making a rash decision to sell. Thanks again for the reassurances that it's not just me.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:20 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,121,249 times
You're not being overly sensitive in this matter. From what I've heard of that area - it is atrocious towards new-comers and tourists. Just hang in there and hopefully things will get better.

And again, the offer to join Erma and myself in the cool section of the city is always open. I'd even set up a house warming party for you!

Old 05-23-2008, 05:43 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,404,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
You're not being overly sensitive in this matter. From what I've heard of that area - it is atrocious towards new-comers and tourists. Just hang in there and hopefully things will get better.

And again, the offer to join Erma and myself in the cool section of the city is always open. I'd even set up a house warming party for you!

Party? Did you mention party?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:34 AM

Thanks again. Windsor Woods kind of remind me of my neighborhood in Richmond, minus the golf course. We aren't really looking to move full-time to the area, we just want something on the water for weekends. The husband fishes a lot.
It was really hard to find a second home in an area that we thought we really liked. Rudee Inlet was too loud. Chicks Beach (the real one around the BBT) has major flooding almost every year (as does Willoughby, Sandbridge, and Buckroe). Ocean View has some great new builds, but the area scares me. An awesome view is very important to my husband. Plus, we didn't want to go over $500K. We looked for a year. My Realtor probably didn't think we would ever find one we liked.
Anyway, we'll probably heading down in a little bit for the weekend. Memorial Day weekend tunnel traffic should be fun!

Old 05-23-2008, 07:11 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,404,783 times
Quote:
Thanks again. Windsor Woods kind of remind me of my neighborhood in Richmond, minus the golf course. We aren't really looking to move full-time to the area, we just want something on the water for weekends. The husband fishes a lot.
Anyway, we'll probably heading down in a little bit for the weekend. Memorial Day weekend tunnel traffic should be fun!
We have a nice golf course right on Edwin Street. Nice peeps and pretty homes.
Maybe you should look at Sandbridge area.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:24 AM

136 posts, read 513,949 times
Hi jhrichmond and everyone else. It is a shame that there are people like that everywhere. They are from all classes, rich and poor. They are definately unhappy individuals that try to bring everyone else down. You know what is really sad is that when someone acts that way to you or me, we carry it with us when they forget about the way they have treated us the minute we walk away. Trust me, that man hasn't thought about it and that just shows his horrible character and I would bet he treats people like that every day. It is hard to become callous to mean people, I just try to avoid them. Believe me they are everywhere. Well, try to enjoy your place and just see the good things about it. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,121,249 times
Quote:
It was really hard to find a second home in an area that we thought we really liked. Rudee Inlet was too loud. Chicks Beach (the real one around the BBT) has major flooding almost every year (as does Willoughby, Sandbridge, and Buckroe). Ocean View has some great new builds, but the area scares me. An awesome view is very important to my husband. Plus, we didn't want to go over $500K. We looked for a year. My Realtor probably didn't think we would ever find one we liked.
Reading into the situation more... you might be getting flac because this is your second home. A lot of people are very jealous of those with more money and resources - and they might be taking it out on you. Yanno, while they're struggling to make ends in one home meet. Here you are looking for a weekend home.

And I apologize for assuming that you lived here 24/7. A closer look at your profile should have told me otherwise.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
Reading into the situation more... you might be getting flac because this is your second home. A lot of people are very jealous of those with more money and resources - and they might be taking it out on you. Yanno, while they're struggling to make ends in one home meet. Here you are looking for a weekend home.

And I apologize for assuming that you lived here 24/7. A closer look at your profile should have told me otherwise.
No need to apologize. I wish I didn't have the second mortgage right now, honestly. I agree that that's probably the main problem at the condo. Plus, I am only 33 years old, so they probably think I was born with a silver spoon (I was NOT). Trust me, we work very hard for what we have. We treat our parents to vacations, not the other way around. I drive a Mazda, not a Lexus.
People at Farm Fresh or Chick's have no idea who I am or how much money I have (or don't), yet still seem so rude and condescending.
Oh well, I am done harbouring over it, and beach kat is right, the nasty people forget the second it happens, while it eats at me for days. Have a happy and safe weekend everyone!

Old 05-23-2008, 09:46 AM

20 posts, read 75,641 times
I didn't know anyone under 70 lived in that building, thats what happens when people are home all day with nothing to do. While I do live in east ocean view I try to make Green Parrot, a couple times a week. Try the Cutty Sark over in east beach the people with million dollar homes that go there are down to earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area