Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 8,260 times

Advertisements

Hello. I'm interested in investing in properties, and I want to go after forclosures. I spoke with an agent, and she told me that they don't sell forclosed homes because they don't get paid. I asked how do I find out about forclosures and she said to go to the courthouse.

?

Anyone with experience help me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 01:30 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
Bargainhunter, i saw your post on the real estate forum as well. she is incorrect. there are REO's on the market all the time!! bank owned properties that are for sale. if you were to go to the courthouse steps, you need to have cash!! not usually doable.

The hard part in this area is we don't have a search criteria for foreclosure and bank owned. I will DM you with some ideas...

shelly

Old 11-14-2008, 08:16 PM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
Well the agent is right and wrong at the same time...it all depends on what step the homeowner is in the foreclosure process.....Once the foreclosure process is completed and the title goes back to the back yes it is then REO'ed and placed on the MLS and most banks pay the standard 6% but several are cutting back to 4-5%....You can also find agents listing short sales but they are more of a pain to deal with as a buyer......But I think you might be surprised at the number of people that just give up and walk away on their home without ever listing it for sale......

Old 11-14-2008, 09:27 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
that is what I meant... sorry if it sounded like something else... ???::

shelly

Old 11-15-2008, 10:15 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,018,352 times
I have always been a spoke person for the saying "real estate is one of the safest markets you can play." but that said unless you have money you can invest and not worry about losing it I would stay away from the real estate market right now......

Forbes and several other big name financial sites has the Virginia Beach area the #1 area in the Nation where homeowners are losing value in their properties the fastest.

I am not sure if I am allowed to post links to other sites on this forum but I will and if it is not allowed mods please delete.....

In Depth: Where U.S. Homeowners Are Losing Value Fastest - Forbes.com

Where U.S. Homeowners Are Losing Value Fastest - Yahoo! Real Estate

Now does that mean doom and gloom for this area, not necessarily but getting back to the question the OP asked...Unless you have experience in buying and selling properties, and I am guessing you dont by you asking these questions .....my advise to you would be.......be very careful what you try to buy right now even if you go the REO route or you might find yourself owning properties that are worth much less then what you have invested in them....The local market is very volatile right now and home prices are all over the board even in the same zip codes or neighborhoods and until the market stabilizes some who knows where the bottom might end up....so if you want to play the game, play it but I would be very careful over the next several months and maybe just wait and see what programs the Feds and the market giants are looking at offering people in need as those programs will effect the whole housing market before it is all said and done.

Old 11-15-2008, 01:54 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,296 times
There are foreclosure bus tours in Virginia Beach, I know the Woods group does some.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM

239 posts, read 633,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
I have always been a spoke person for the saying "real estate is one of the safest markets you can play." but that said unless you have money you can invest and not worry about losing it I would stay away from the real estate market right now......

Forbes and several other big name financial sites has the Virginia Beach area the #1 area in the Nation where homeowners are losing value in their properties the fastest.

I am not sure if I am allowed to post links to other sites on this forum but I will and if it is not allowed mods please delete.....

In Depth: Where U.S. Homeowners Are Losing Value Fastest - Forbes.com

Where U.S. Homeowners Are Losing Value Fastest - Yahoo! Real Estate

Now does that mean doom and gloom for this area, not necessarily but getting back to the question the OP asked...Unless you have experience in buying and selling properties, and I am guessing you dont by you asking these questions .....my advise to you would be.......be very careful what you try to buy right now even if you go the REO route or you might find yourself owning properties that are worth much less then what you have invested in them....The local market is very volatile right now and home prices are all over the board even in the same zip codes or neighborhoods and until the market stabilizes some who knows where the bottom might end up....so if you want to play the game, play it but I would be very careful over the next several months and maybe just wait and see what programs the Feds and the market giants are looking at offering people in need as those programs will effect the whole housing market before it is all said and done.
Those articles are pretty interesting. The funny thing is that I have heard so many realtors in HR say that real estate is local and the weakness in housing you hear about on the news is only in California/Florida/etc. and that this area isn't impacted. However, with over 1/3 of homeowners underwater I can't see how it could not impact HR. Especially since many are forced to move cause of the military so they won't be able to ride it out. It will be interesting to see what the market does over the next year or two, it used to be affordable to live here, wonder if it will return to that.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:36 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
It really will be interesting to see how things play out. While my heart goes out to those who end up in foreclosure it may be good for those looking to buy in our area.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:47 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
Those articles are pretty interesting. The funny thing is that I have heard so many realtors in HR say that real estate is local and the weakness in housing you hear about on the news is only in California/Florida/etc. and that this area isn't impacted. However, with over 1/3 of homeowners underwater I can't see how it could not impact HR. Especially since many are forced to move cause of the military so they won't be able to ride it out. It will be interesting to see what the market does over the next year or two, it used to be affordable to live here, wonder if it will return to that.
Don't you think VA loans and BHA keep the prices up in this area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area