U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2008, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 21,230 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting relocated to Virginia this summer. The problem is we don't know exactly where. It will be either Richmond or Norfolk/Newport News area and we may not know before school starts. Is there a place that is somewhere in the middle of these two areas? We have a daughter who will be going into 7th grade so we need a really good school district but can only afford to spend about $200-$225 on a house. Any help with great neighboorhoods and schools would be great.

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 01:59 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,345,220 times
You can buy a three bedroom townhouse in York County Va in that price range. IF you go to SchoolMatters - Home (http://www.schoolmatters.com/ - broken link) I think you will see that their schools rank the highest in the area. You can buy a new detached home in Gloucester for under $210k. James City County/ Williamsburg/ New Kent would be other options.
I would hate to pick a place to live before you knew where you were going to work..
The commute to Richmond ( depending on location) would be anywhere from 15 minutes in New Kent an hour to Williamsburg/ Gloucester and 1.5 from York County. To Newport News Gloucester is approx 30 minutes, York County 20 minutes again depending on exactly where..

Old 05-23-2008, 09:46 AM

37 posts, read 84,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piglet021070 View Post
My husband is getting relocated to Virginia this summer. The problem is we don't know exactly where. It will be either Richmond or Norfolk/Newport News area and we may not know before school starts. Is there a place that is somewhere in the middle of these two areas? We have a daughter who will be going into 7th grade so we need a really good school district but can only afford to spend about $200-$225 on a house. Any help with great neighboorhoods and schools would be great.

Thanks...
Williamsburg !

Old 05-28-2008, 09:13 PM

16 posts, read 47,918 times
I think you need to do some homework on the area schools if your daughter's education is a priority. I wouldn't rate New Kent at the high end of the spectrum, however you can get a decent house/yard with your price range than in other areas mentioned.

Keep in mind traffic is a nightmare on 64 so you will want to find out where your husband is being relocated prior to deciding where to live. The good thing is the rental market is fairly healthy and you should be able to find something in a pinch if time runs out. I highly recommend renting first so you can make sure you love the area you want to buy in.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 PM

2,383 posts, read 5,398,521 times
New Kent schools, from the third grade grapevine, seem to be getting better and better. I know several people who have actually moved out of Williamsburg to New Kent and they have been extremely happy with the schools and the education system that New Kent offers. That said, the best advice I can give is to figure out where your husband will be working and then start knocking on some doors to find out exactly what everyone really thinks about the schools in the area. I know that the area I live in has been rated as having a great schools and I have to tell you that if you polled half of our parents about the elem. school, they would tell you otherwise! I honestly have never seen so many parents pull their children out of elem. school and place them in private school for a few years. You really have to go door to door and go to the school and just start asking everyone you come into contact with about the schools in that particular area.

Good luck, I know how stressful this process can be!

DVCGAL

Old 06-04-2008, 01:18 PM

689 posts, read 1,325,522 times
The schools just east of Richmond are not good, AVOID eastern Henrico, and I'd take New Kent with a grain of salt. Over by Williamsburg may be ok, but the county is large and the population really varies. Having lived in that are for a long itme, I'd really try to lock down where your husband will be living before renting a place. Richmond and Newport News and Norfolk are three really different areas. For example, if you picked Williamsburg and your husband worked in Norfolk, his daily commute would be awful. Congestion at the bridges/tunnels is awful. Alternately, commuting from Newport News to Richmond on 64 would get old really fast. I hope you end up in Richmond, it's awesome! If you do, check out northern Chesterfield County and the West End, great family areas.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM

689 posts, read 1,325,522 times
Sorry, I forgot to say you definitely want to rent first. Norfolk and Newport News are not the same area, and offer very different housing, schools, amenities, etc. In the Hampton Roads area, you ideally want to live close to where you work, but since you have to consider schools, you might not be able to minimize your husband's commute. We are considering moving to Hampton Roads ourselves, and are dealing with the same issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area