Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,550,182 times

Advertisements

I love it when people respond to really old posts. The OP asked for suggestions nearly three years ago. Hopefully this person found something back in May of 06. lol

Having said that - it's good to get the information being offered. ~K~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 05:44 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,427,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
I love it when people respond to really old posts. The OP asked for suggestions nearly three years ago. Hopefully this person found something back in May of 06. lol

Having said that - it's good to get the information being offered. ~K~
That's what we love about Hampton Roads!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:57 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,919,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Oh my, please stop, Crime is not much of an issue at all for Va Beach, you all seriously over hype your crime problem, everyone must be from Montana or something. Yes, Norfolk and Portsmouth are close but crime from those cities doesnt usually spill over into Va Beach and those cities themselves arent THAT bad. You all are turning people around from the area, with wrong info at that.

And basically the same for traffic, its a metropolitan area and a tourist area with 1.6 million people, what do you expect! Any metro area around the U.S. is the same way or worse, you can just look a little north at the DC Metro.
Beautiful post.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:47 AM

12 posts, read 24,420 times
Thumbs up Absolutely Breathtaking!

Living near the surf is a spectacular way to live. The thing I learned after moving here is the locals want to keep it a little secret. They don't have anything to worry about swarms of beach lovers coming to Virginia Beach in this kind of economy. Only squatters do we have to worry about who might hang in the lifeguard towers. Not to sound callous, but after years of working, I kind of look forward to enjoying my golden years without worrying about social decay. I hope it doesn't get too out of hand in the coming years.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 AM

40 posts, read 155,394 times
The mention of libraries has me wondering...I am moving to VA Beach in July and my fiancee is living in our apt. until I move...he has no internet right now and we were on a desperate search for free wi-fi when I was visiting a couple weeks ago.

Anyway, we went to 2 local libraries, thinking that since where I live is a rural area of Maryland, and all our public libraries have free wi-fi, everyone must have it...but no! No wi-fi except in the coffeehouse/cafeteria part of one of the libraries, and we felt like we would have to buy something to use that...so we ended up just going to Panera and getting lunch and doing our wi-fi there.

I am normally a big public library fan- love to read but can't afford to buy books. But I am not too impressed that there is no wi-fi in libraries, in a big place like VA Beach, when I am from a tiny town of less than 10,000 people and we can manage it here....thoughts? Am I spoiled? I can take it...!

Old 04-18-2009, 08:45 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,503,316 times
I think the Central Library offers free wireless but I'm not positive.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:31 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,427,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I think the Central Library offers free wireless but I'm not positive.
I believe they do. When my son is home on leave he goes there. He's a big book worm, anime and you name it. Shoot, the airports are even getting it. I was online in no time in a florida airport yesterday.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:50 PM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,028,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by telemonster View Post
I think it's called a donk.

Well a Donk is an old car sitting on 22's to 30's.

Here you see more Caprices. For people who hate cops so much, they sure love cop cars:
Actually the original "DONK" was a box Chevy Impala from 1971–76 sitting on 22's to 30's. It was called that, you will love this, because the Impala emblem resembled a donkey , hence the term Donk. Other car models are actually "Hirisers"The term Donk is now generic like Kleenex is.

Ok that was my Cliff Clavin moment!

Old 08-25-2009, 07:38 AM

10 posts, read 31,114 times
Gang Run you mean? I felt as though everytime I picked up the newspaper this summer I was reading about a shooting, robbery, break-in or random act of violence, even against the elderly! Virginia Beach has too much riff-raff and I agree with Lethal_Poison that if you want a home or townhouse in a safe/nice area, you're going to be paying close to $300,000 for it. And if you want river, bay or ocean access then expect to pay close to half a million dollars, easy. It's ridiculous.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,247 times
Default Virginia beach

This is probably going to be long, im really bored, I cant sleep and I wanna help if u still need it

VIRGINIA BEACH

-It is a good city now, but the crime rate and gang rate is rising pretty fast
The Ocean Front is amazing, the water isnt all that great, but the Ocean front is awesome, and there is alot of events that go on at our beach
Like Monster Truck shows, ECSC(East Coast Surf Championship)
If u are interested in that stuff

-There is alot of libraries, some rec places, alot of gyms, alot of bars/clubs stuff like that, There is MMA Gyms if u are into that stuff, I train at Linxx Academy at the moment

-There is alot of national monuments in Virginia and some in Virginia beach if ur into history and what not, theres farmland, rich neighborhoods, there doing alot of construction, there is condos to rent alot of places
BUT if u rent a condo or a hotel
Try and avoid the ones at the beach, alot of them are thiefs and pot/crack dealers who live there
and there is alot of homeless people at the beach who will rob you, theyve tried robbing me before

-ALOT of cops
U might like that
But i hate it
But alot of em are douche bags
You will here that from people when u move down here

Now that was the goods, heres the bads

-Mother Nature hates VA Beach, the temperature is constantly changing
Pooring one day, 100 degrees the next with mad humidity
There is not that many waves inless storms are off the coast, if u are into surfing

-HUGEEEE Drama city, alot of 2 faced kids, hypocrits, bullsh*tters, basically people who start drama

-Since u dont have kids u dont have to worry about schools. But if u ever did in my opinion the Ocean lakes elementary, Corporate landing Middle, and Ocean lakes is the best place academicly
and I know now
Corporate has a great, wrestling, field hockey, volleyball team
Ocean lakes has city champ football team, great wrestling, basketball i think

Areas to avoid in VA Beach

-Green Run
-Some of Kempsville(College Park mainly)
-the rundown beach neighborhoods and condos
-The lynnhaven neighborhoods
-Most of Norfolk(Ocean View and Little Creek are the worst) but all of it is bad
-All of portsmoth is bad basically

Thats all i can think of right now but some neighborhoods to look at around the Dam Neck/General Booth area
Maybe Upton too and Gunn Hall

-Pine Meadows(Where i live, alot of cops, lowest crime rate in the area, never any break ins, great neighborhood)

-Ocean lakes, half of it is like Pine meadows, and the other half isnt hood but its alittle more beatdown, but still rarely ever breakins and anything like that

-Upton Estates, great neighborhood, basically same as 2 above, cept Pine Meadows has the bigger houses then all of these

-Gunn Hall, there is alot of pretty decent sized houses with great back yards that arebeing rented for cheap

-Dunwoody, pretty good neighborhood, few bikes stolen here and there but thats it, small houses, not really small but decent sized for pretty cheap

and ALL of these neighborhoods are centrally located
10 minute drive to the beach, right down the road from the movies and a huge library, bout 10 minutes from the mall, there is a millitary base rite down the road
Dam Neck Military Base

So i hoped i help
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area