U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 11:52 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,902,750 times

Advertisements

Oh I agree...I think they should re-instate the toll road they had up on the interstate going to the beach.
Yea, I didn't see any pot holes on my last trip to Williamsburg and I agree, our roads are not made for heavy travel. By the time the new ones are made or refurbishment has been completed, they are out of date. Too much bottle-necking. I do love the HOV lane though. It's much easier in the morning for base traffic and great to cruise on home with coming out of the HRBT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 05:00 PM

1,177 posts, read 416,762 times
tolls seem like a great idea. I would be really angry if the roads were tearing up my car.
seems like that is something that needs to be addressed immediately!

Kuharai- I wish you the best of luck in your campaign!

and thanks everyone for the heads up!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:11 PM

689 posts, read 1,324,566 times
Default To mjay

I know this isn't your post, my apologies, but you should also consider Richmond, if you're not locked into Williamsburg. At least look at the opportunities there. Many of the schools in Henrico and Chesterfield are outstanding, and there's a lot to do in the area. It's a city that feels smaller than it is. Traffic is a dramatic improvement from Hampton Roads.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:58 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,149,373 times
Speaking of potholes..... might I bring up the one that collapsed today and caused a super nasty accident over near the Willoughby Bay Bridge ((4th View to be exact))? This blocked traffic up pretty bad - and they've managed to get it so that one lane is actually open.

Emergency Maintenance only is a stupid way to run these roads. Preventative Maintenance would go a long way....

Old 06-10-2008, 09:09 PM

328 posts, read 1,403,460 times
Yes, Yes. I read about that in the news. Heard a Motorcycle ran into the back of a large truck when it stopped suddenly to avoid the pothole which was presumably due to the heat..motorcyclist slid across the highway (perhaps following too closely though). Good point though K. Roads need to be fixed, preventative maintenance is key!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:27 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,149,373 times
I can completely understand a motorcyclist doing whatever possible to avoid that 8-inch wide pothole. That wide and deep of a pothole could most likely flip a motorcycle which would end up in an even worse accident. As is, he got off with some scratches and bruises.

These roads are almost as dangerous as the people driving on them. 'Cause I know I would have slammed my brakes over that bad of a pothole, or at least attempted to do everything to avoid it.

And as for the heat causing it to buckle, there was already a pothole there to begin with. If the state had properly taken care of it when it was small, then it might not have gotten so bad as to shut off that area.

I actually had to get to the other side of the water last night. Luckily, I'm a local and know the backroads to get ahead of where the pothole was!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area