Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 38,644 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if you locals can help me decide where to rent for a year or so. I'll be taking a new job soon moving in August or September, it's a bit flexible because they understand about finding acceptable housing.

We're late 40s professionals, both in mental health, with no kids, coming down from NJ to be closer to family members in the south. Non-smokers, a glass of wine on the patio is about as crazy as we get. OK we're on the dull side I suppose...we like books, too. May be donating bunches in this move!

I have leads on a few places: one is a private-rental condo, not an apartment but a two-story unit in a group of 4, in a place called North Beach? He's being a bit 'cagey' I guess not telling me the exact address until I schedule to go see it when I'm down to house-hunt soon.

When pressed he said the area is full of 'young professionals' because of an apartment complex nearby but that the condo side of the development is quieter, only has 60 units. He said Shore and 13th but I can't locate it on Mapquest. What's the 'real story'? Is this Animal House on the Beach? Crackhead Central? Just wonderin' as we'll be there a year minimum.

The other place also a private rental I'm considering is over toward Pleasure House Road on a small lake, a few minutes' walk from the beach. Again a condo, this is west of the CBBT though I think the other one North Beach complex is probably east? I get the feeling you'll be looking at the CBBT from your bedroom window with this one...how noisy is that? Worse than air traffic?

We want to stay in the northern end, Chick's Beach, Fort Story by the Sea, possibly parts of Lynnhaven etc. as I need to be near the airport, and will be working in the northern end too and want to minimize the commute to the degree possible.

An actual house is preferred, but renting a condo may be necessary for a while (even at 1300 to 1500) though until we sell here and decide where to buy next year in VB.

Thanks for any suggestions you have!

JoaniB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:32 PM

16 posts, read 52,325 times
Hi Joani -

I would suggest living at the Mayflower which is on 34th street at the oceanfront. They just recently spent millions of dollars in renovations and each apartment has hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances, and granite countertops. They have a lot of professionals who live in the building - most just want to live her for a year just to experience the beach right across the street! I must say moving there while deciding where to settle was the best thing I did. I woke up every morning to beautiful views, listening to the waves at night - the best part - I could walk across the street for a walk on the boardwalk or just sit and sun bathe for a couple of hours without the hassle of traffic or packing up all my stuff to take to the beach.

My neighbors were an attorney and his wife, a business owner, and a retired couple - all of whom were very nice and wonderful! The great thing about the Mayflower - they have short term rentals so you can take your time to find a place you will love!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area