U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 08:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,697 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We just moved to DC from the west coast and plan to visit Williamsburge VA. Could someone please tell us what trains or buses go from DC to Williamsburge or any other affordable way to travel to the area for that matter.
Thank you
Z
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 10:04 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,897,828 times
check the train schedules...amtrak has one on their site.
amtrak.com and the train goes into Newport News, usually runs about 70 dollars a ticket.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:13 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,084,745 times
Just drive your car. Rent one if you don't own one.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:03 AM

1,153 posts, read 3,341,536 times
As Erma said you can take Amtrak it is $70 a ticket bought in advance. There is a station here in Williamsburg. Trip take about 3.5 to 4 hours.
If you don't have a car rent one from Enterprise on a weekend. Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Rental Cars at Low Rates and Weekend Specials
They have a 3 day special rate of approx $77. 200 free miles a day. Gas will cost about $52.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
As Erma said you can take Amtrak it is $70 a ticket bought in advance. There is a station here in Williamsburg. Trip take about 3.5 to 4 hours.
If you don't have a car rent one from Enterprise on a weekend. Enterprise Rent-A-Car: Rental Cars at Low Rates and Weekend Specials
They have a 3 day special rate of approx $77. 200 free miles a day. Gas will cost about $52.
Absolutely and with the prices of gas and the wonderful DC traffic jams, the train and car rental idea once you are here is about the cheapest way to enjoy this area.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:05 PM

1,177 posts, read 416,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Absolutely and with the prices of gas and the wonderful DC traffic jams, the train and car rental idea once you are here is about the cheapest way to enjoy this area.
I noticed on google maps that the approximate travel time by car is 2 1/2 hrs.
Amtrak takes longer? We will have a car and are debating whether or not we will go into DC for the day. Amtrak only has a couple of trips. The one I saw leaves at around 9:30 am and gets to DC around 1pm. Then it returns at 5pm. That seems like it will leave us such a short amount of time there.
If we do it on a Saturday, should we expect much traffic?

Old 06-08-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjay11 View Post
I noticed on google maps that the approximate travel time by car is 2 1/2 hrs.
Amtrak takes longer? We will have a car and are debating whether or not we will go into DC for the day. Amtrak only has a couple of trips. The one I saw leaves at around 9:30 am and gets to DC around 1pm. Then it returns at 5pm. That seems like it will leave us such a short amount of time there.
If we do it on a Saturday, should we expect much traffic?
OMG yes! Traffic is terrible coming and going on the route you have to take. Most of us folks around here would prefer to pay the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel toll than ever go that way! Gosh, I don't even think about going that way anymore. 13 is much easier, cuts about 3 hours of traffic time and that's without a backup! When there's an accident, expect backup of at least 2 hours. You can always stay overnight and take the early train back the next day if you feel you won't have enough time to take in the sites. I'd rather pay a nites hotel fee instead of dealing with the frustration of it all and enjoy the time you will have, vice the sitting, waiting, stop and go stuff you will encounter.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:12 PM

1,177 posts, read 416,621 times
wow Erma! Thanks! Guess we might have to think about that a bit more. We only have 3 full days there and with Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg in the plans, I don't know now if we will be able to fit it in.
Maybe next time!

Old 06-10-2008, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,683 times
Zoya25: We lived in Silver Springs for 3 years and used to travel to Hampton Roads once a month. I found that driving was easiest. You just have to adjust your travel plans according to the traffic. For example: if you want to leave on Friday, LEAVE BEFORE 2pm or else your toast! 495 towards Va to 95S to 295S to 64. (3 1/2 hours) OR the scencic route 13 (Be careful with your speed) When you return, we could make it home in 2 1/2 hours leaving @ about 9pm.

Old 06-10-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrinperez View Post
Zoya25: We lived in Silver Springs for 3 years and used to travel to Hampton Roads once a month. I found that driving was easiest. You just have to adjust your travel plans according to the traffic. For example: if you want to leave on Friday, LEAVE BEFORE 2pm or else your toast! 495 towards Va to 95S to 295S to 64. (3 1/2 hours) OR the scencic route 13 (Be careful with your speed) When you return, we could make it home in 2 1/2 hours leaving @ about 9pm.
Keep in mind, that it is TOURIST season for us. This time of year is bad!
I normally leave at 3am to miss work traffic and tourists (they sleep late).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or