U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 12,041 times

Advertisements

Great Wolf Lodge hotel is in Williamsburg, it has an indoor water park, arcade and kid friendly restaurant in the hotel. This place is perfect for kids! As far as places to visit, you could go to Va. Beach about 45 minutes away depending on traffic, Water Country USA, Busch Gardens, Jamestown, Virginia Living Museum is in Newport News/Hampton, The Virginia Air and Space Museum in Hampton, that is a good one. You could go to Norfolk and go to the zoo, and the children's museum. There;s nice historic stuff in CW be sure to wear your walking shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 10:57 AM

593 posts, read 2,214,744 times
Just fyi since you are visiting Colonial Williamsburg and other family-friendly spots, there is a ticket for all of those Williamsburg activities. Since I started working with Busch Gardens Williamsburg this has been the best ticket for families in your situation.

You can buy it at the park, but a lot of families have been buying them online because of the online-only discount.

The Williamsburg Bounce Ticket is $123.50/adult and $102.50/child, but online it is $98.80/adult and $82.00/child. Pretty good deal for 3 parks! There is more info on the VA Vacation Values website that should help you out, and you can also buy the tickets right there too:
The Perfect Getaway - is just a few hours and a great deal away. Busch Gardens | Water Country USA | Colonial Williamsburg | Golf | Beach | Shopping

Old 07-30-2008, 05:15 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,374,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aibutiej View Post
The weather this weekend (it's in the 90s in CT, so I figure it's hot in Williamsburg too) reminds me that what my boys most remember about visiting Colonial Williamsburg...is the heat. Not the impression I wanted them to leave with. Walking around in the sun, going in and out of old (non-air-conditioned) houses can get tiring. At one point, we had to wait to go in to see something, and everyone scrambled to sit under a tree. (I don't know how those people in costume manage it!) I think Colonial Williamsburg is great and your kids might enjoy walking around there, but do consider the weather.

how does williamsburg as a town compare to Norwalk? I lived in fairfield - never been to wmsbrg...culture shock for a yankee or simpatico? I see you have Trader Joes now - I'm jealous!
thanks! 12b

Old 07-30-2008, 06:14 AM

1,154 posts, read 3,353,370 times
Well we don't have a Stew Leonard's although his son Tom has a store in Short Pump an hour away. Welcome to Tom Leonard's Farmer's Market! Our Trader Joes is opening in the New Town area in about 6 months. To me it's hard to compare the two areas. To me Norwalk seemed much older and established than Williamsburg/ James City County. Area size of James City County is 141 square miles versus Fairfield County at 23 square miles Then you add Williamsburg City at 8.5 square miles and maybe 10 square miles of upper York County. We have numerous planned communities around: Kingsmill, Fords Colony, Governors Land, Greensprings West, Plantation, Stonehouse most offer Golf, Pools, Tennis, Walking Trails, etc, two have marinas. Custom built homes are the rule in these developments. The western part of the county is primarily rural. Many homes on larger acreage lots.
I have personally sold quite a few homes to people relocating from the northeast. Ct, NY, NJ. All have been very happy with their decision to move south. Lack of snow, warmer weather in the winter, culture/ arts scene/recreation/ history/ small town feel all seemed to win them over.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:56 PM

202 posts, read 622,176 times
Mr. Williamsburg, I didn't know you know Norwalk, CT! And I didn't know that Stew Leonard's son had a store down there. Interesting. Norwalk doesn't have much in the way of planned communities. The term "HOA fees" is foreign to me. I enjoy walking around my neighborhood looking at houses that were built in the 1800s or earlier. I always assumed that because of all the history down in Williamsburg, that there would be old houses there also. But from what I can tell, it does seem much newer (except for Colonial Williamsburg, of course). Still, I think all the things you mentioned are pluses. I hope to be in Williamsburg by this time next year (wish it could be sooner...but alas).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area