U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:43 PM

430 posts, read 1,051,337 times

Advertisements

Well you are right. This time the job is really good. Mu Dad was born in Virginia and dies when I was 5. His family s from there but I have lost touch. He was from Richmond. Because I don't really remember him , I feel in a way it might be neat to live in a State that he came from. Moving is a very hard thing. I grew up here and like many you belong. My family is here and three older kids are here. It will be hard. I really never could wrap myself around the Minnesota thing. I really hate snow. I don't mean to put others down who live there. We just aren't out doors , camping, snow building people. We don't hunt, fish and deer drive me crazy as I tend to hit them. We have all those things here and we don't do them. God I believe has given us a chance. This is a good job and we will make the best of it and most likley adjust after awhile. It it the hardest thing I have ever done but I will make it with the Lords help. My older kids said the same thing to me that you did , but they know how much we have struggled here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:47 PM

14 posts, read 71,645 times
There're mosquitos in the summer, lots of mosquitos, but the trucks come through spraying for those, so it's not really a huge problem. I grew up in Virginia Beach and we never had cockroaches. I can't think of many bug problems, in fact. It's not at all like it is in Florida or the like. Really, the bugs in VA are nothing to freak out about and your kids WILL have the benefit of catching fireflies on those beautiful summer nights

Old 06-16-2008, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 11,048 times
We just moved from Michigan to Virginia Beach last summer... I have not seen a roach yet, and hope I never do... ewww! The bugs seem pretty much the same to me, except I have noticed some larger sized bees and wasps then we have in Michigan. Also, we have some type of salamander/lizard living in my back yard. My neighborhood has a wild life reserve attached to it, so we see alot of animals outdoors (deer, lizards, frogs, etc.). I have had an occasional spider or ant inside my home, but that is it.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:17 PM

Thanks all the post have helped me a lot. How did your family adjust to living in Virginia from Michigan

Old 06-17-2008, 04:33 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
I just buy the jug of "Home Defender" at home depot. It has a hose and sprayer on it and I spray around the house once a month. Works outside too. We keep the bottle sprayer of it at the campground for the trailer. No bugs! It's all about leaving food lying around the house as well. Keep it in ziplocks or rubber maid canisters. Food stays fresher and you won't have any visitors.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:57 AM

43 posts, read 207,859 times
We live in the area and we have never had a roach problem at all. I moved here from Ocean City, MD where we would also have an occasional mouse when the fields were cut down but no mouse problems here either. We do have the outside of our house sprayed each year to control ants (because of the sandy soil) and to control crickets but they have not been a real issue.
We use A Active and they have been a wonderful company to be contracted with and prices are reasonable.

Old 06-19-2008, 11:23 AM

43 posts, read 93,172 times
Thumbs up originally from PA

We moved to Hampton Roads from PA 11+ years ago under very similar job conditions and don't regret it for a second. The biting "no-see-um" gnats will drive you as batty as the mosquitoes, but I've never seen a roach down here, nor any of the other nasty bugs. Our exterminator takes care of the silverfish and spiders around the house, and OFF keeps the gnats & mosquitoes away...

Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 PM

What is a gnat and sorry if this sounds like a silly question.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:21 PM

43 posts, read 93,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mim48 View Post
What is a gnat and sorry if this sounds like a silly question.
A small biting fly

Old 06-23-2008, 01:02 PM

17 posts, read 41,727 times
No- it definitely is NOT as bad as all that. Sure, we get bugs, but not big, hairy, creepy crawlies that invade one's home at night and crawl all over the bed and into sink drains, etc.

In the summer, you'll deal with mosquitoes, and other small flying biting things, but if you use your OFF! you'll be just fine. I plant LemonBalm around the perimeter of my house and whenever I go outside to do anything - work in the yard, etc., I just pick a bunch of it, bruise the leaves and rub it on myself. Flying, biting bugs hate it. It's easy to grow.

There are no more bugs down here than there are in New Hampshire in the mountains. Seriously. There may be different types of bugs, and perhaps they do grow a bit bigger, but that's only because it's so friggin hot here in the summer. Mostly, I don't even notice the bugs.

I doubt you will, either, unless you choose to live in a swamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimberly View Post
Well here is the story. I will take any comments for those who live in the area and those who moved from Northern states and adjusted. We are from Michigan and this state is not doing well at all. We like many lost good paying jobs several years ago and tried so hard to keep going. We decided in the spring that we may need to leave the state. My husband got his forst job offer in Sulfolk. I reseached the homes and started to look into what else people said. I knew the south would be different as my Dad was from Virginia. I came upon the bug posting. There I read reallt scarry things about bug, roaches, flying roaches, bitting ants. Also some very nice people posted pictures. I hate bugs and that was all I needed to see, I shut right down to the idea of taking that job. Then I became so mad at myself abouit it because lets face it there are many many people who live in Southern states so how bad could be. I would pictures sleeping and bugs crawling over me and in the cupboards it was silly. We don't have bugs here, some people do have roaches but most don't. Mabe a mouse in the Fall when the framers cut their fields, yet another big issue as I had to deal with that two years in a row. But you set traps and you get it and then it was over. So my husband took a job in Minnesota and we are still in Michigan. He hates it and it rains everyday and it is not like Michigan and we knew the winter was not going to be fun but we thought it would be most like what we were used to. Well on Friday my husband recieved another offer from the same company in Sulfolk again. This time it is a higher job and more pay. I thanked God for this chance after the hard time we have had here and then ask God what about the bugs. Im asking all of you if it is as bad as the other post made it out to be. Does everyone have roaches? If you get a insect sprayer would that help. Whatever lives outside I respect that but I want to keep them outside. I just feel that our home is a place to relax. It is really upsettting me as my husband called today and I started to cry saying I don't want bugs crawling over me when I'm sleeping or my kids. I know this all sounds nuts but any advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area