Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:40 PM

430 posts, read 1,174,721 times

Advertisements

Well here is the story. I will take any comments for those who live in the area and those who moved from Northern states and adjusted. We are from Michigan and this state is not doing well at all. We like many lost good paying jobs several years ago and tried so hard to keep going. We decided in the spring that we may need to leave the state. My husband got his forst job offer in Sulfolk. I reseached the homes and started to look into what else people said. I knew the south would be different as my Dad was from Virginia. I came upon the bug posting. There I read reallt scarry things about bug, roaches, flying roaches, bitting ants. Also some very nice people posted pictures. I hate bugs and that was all I needed to see, I shut right down to the idea of taking that job. Then I became so mad at myself abouit it because lets face it there are many many people who live in Southern states so how bad could be. I would pictures sleeping and bugs crawling over me and in the cupboards it was silly. We don't have bugs here, some people do have roaches but most don't. Mabe a mouse in the Fall when the framers cut their fields, yet another big issue as I had to deal with that two years in a row. But you set traps and you get it and then it was over. So my husband took a job in Minnesota and we are still in Michigan. He hates it and it rains everyday and it is not like Michigan and we knew the winter was not going to be fun but we thought it would be most like what we were used to. Well on Friday my husband recieved another offer from the same company in Sulfolk again. This time it is a higher job and more pay. I thanked God for this chance after the hard time we have had here and then ask God what about the bugs. Im asking all of you if it is as bad as the other post made it out to be. Does everyone have roaches? If you get a insect sprayer would that help. Whatever lives outside I respect that but I want to keep them outside. I just feel that our home is a place to relax. It is really upsettting me as my husband called today and I started to cry saying I don't want bugs crawling over me when I'm sleeping or my kids. I know this all sounds nuts but any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 05:49 PM

47 posts, read 198,186 times
Seriously - bugs is what you are concerned about? You'll be fine. If you happen to have bugs, go to the store buy some bug spray or whatever and be done with them. We lived in northern IL for several years and we had Orkin coming every other month. When we lived in Hawaii we had a bug company come, again every other month.

Now if you were headed to South Carolina, Georgia, FL...I'd say BIG bugs would be a concern.

You won't have bugs crawling all over you when you sleep.

Best wishes to your husband and his new job!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:59 PM

4,189 posts, read 3,481,424 times
OMG I feel your agony I live in Memphis and am horrified of bugs!!! So I understand your concern. Cooks Pest Control or Good Earth are pretty darn good. Good luck!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:07 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
There are some really nice bug traps that you can get that work wonders. Bugs aren't that bad of a problem.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:14 PM

280 posts, read 1,073,263 times
I didn't know there was any place that didn't have bugs! It really depends on whether you are concerned about bugs inside or around your house (which you can control with pest control services) or if you are talking about mosquitos or ticks, which are harder to control. But I would not let it stop you from living in an area. Besides, they are only out a few months of the year!

Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,465 times
I've lived here 12 years, never really noticed a bug problem... Been to Sufforlk many times, never carted off by a rogue band of ants!

Unless you're sleeping outside, you don't need to worry about bugs.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
counseling is never a bad thing.
that and 12 step programs have helped a lot of people.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:59 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
mimberly, down in GA and FL they have things called Palmetto Bugs that are like Huge roaches. VA doesn't have them. We are too far North. We do have roaches (I think those things are in every state and can live in the hottest hot and coldest cold) BUT only if you are basically a dirty person. I certainly don't have roaches in my house.

You will be fine. And you can get a monthly bug service if you like. But seriously, you have worked yourself up over NOTHING!!! Take the job.

Shellly

Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 PM

430 posts, read 1,174,721 times
Thank you all. I was talking about Roaches which I said are in Michigan but most don't have them or you may if you live in a apartment complex. I had thought you had Palmetto bugs. Someone from your state said you had flying water bugs and I thought she was talking about them. Someone else told him about bitting ants. I ask that because my 6 year old son loves to dig in the dirt. Like the other posting said I might need a 12 step program, all I will need is a bug sponsor.

Old 06-09-2008, 08:32 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Mimberly,
I moved from Ohio to Va 15 years ago. I have noticed no difference in bugs. I have read some of your other postings about deciding whether or not to move and it seems like no matter what, you are finding or will find a reason to talk yourself out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area