U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:16 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,143,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I'll take you on the ships with me...5 minutes on the pier and you'll change your mind!
I thought this winter stunk compared to the past few winters.
You act as though I haven't been on the piers and gone aboard ships! Tsk tsk tsk! T'was on the Arleigh Burke back in January with a tank top and a pair of slacks. The winters here are not that cold.

I will have to admit that we had a rather warm winter this time around. I don't think I ran the heat but maybe twice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 05:31 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,897,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
You act as though I haven't been on the piers and gone aboard ships! Tsk tsk tsk! T'was on the Arleigh Burke back in January with a tank top and a pair of slacks. The winters here are not that cold.

I will have to admit that we had a rather warm winter this time around. I don't think I ran the heat but maybe twice?
Oh no...don't even know about your ship experiences, but one thing I can tell ya, when you have to walk "the green mile," it's alot different on the carrier piers than the little piers for the CG's, DDG's and FFG's. Parking is alot closer too. Now yesterday, I had to park by McDonalds' and walk to Pier 9. The heat doesn't bother me, I just carry a bottle of water. The cold...forget it. In the winter, I keep a pair of ski bibs in my truck and my big down jacket one of the kids got up in Mass.
Parking at Norfolk Naval Shipyard is another nitemare. The walk is about 8 blks to the ship and Northrop Grumman isn't any better AND they charge 5 bucks to park.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 AM

14 posts, read 71,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunieBJones View Post
On average, how often are you hit with hurricanes in the area?
Direct hits are pretty infrequent, but we usually get tons of rain from any hurricanes that pass by. Maybe one or two each year that pass by close enough to risk flooding. If you live too close to any water, it can cause large surf on the ocean and some flooding risks. I remember a few years ago my folks ended up with half their yard flooded because a hurricane was passing by too close. Most other hurricanes passing through the Atlantic just send us rain.

But direct hits, not too much of a problem. In fact, I'd rather hunker down during a hurricane than a tornado or earthquake.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:47 AM

Isabelle back in 2003 was the most recent that hit us, but remnants from Ernesto gave us some rain and a little road flooding in 2006. I parked 3 blocks from my home on the main road and waded as "Erma Moses" til I got to my back door.

Old 06-16-2008, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 11,046 times
Hi, we moved here from MI last July. My kids did not use winter boots or gloves this past winter... being from MI, what is considered cold here, was not that cold to us. I noticed kids at the bus stop all bundled up when it was 30 or so degrees out, while my kids just had a warm coat on... I would keep some gloves on hand just in case, and a warm coat... but it does not snow here. We got a light dusting this past winter, and that was a huge deal as it is considered rare (or at least that is what I was told by my neighbors).

Old 06-17-2008, 05:27 AM

It is rare. Back in 86, we had gotten 10 inches one day and 8 the next, but it is gone so quickly, it's awesome! This was your first winter here. As your body adjusts to the warm temperatures, your kids will be bundled up with the rest! :-)

Old 06-18-2008, 09:34 AM

162 posts, read 716,908 times
We moved here from the northern MD/Southern PA area in 2005.

We haven't needed snowboots once, we use basic winter coats (not thick parkas), and I do have a few turtleneck shirts. Here you can really just wear layers in the winter most of the time and be fine.

We left our snowblower at our old house and brought our snowshovels with us. We have not yet needed the shovels. I think we've not even seen an inch of snow total since we've lived here. I know that big snows do come from time to time, but they usually melt quickly. What I find hilarious, is that when it does snow the tiniest little bit, people here freak out! LOL

I love winters here. I am not a winter person AT ALL, and the winters here are very tolerable. Summer stretches way into Fall here and Spring can be cool at first but once Summer is here, it's here.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:29 PM

430 posts, read 1,051,220 times
I wanted to ask about the Summers. Do you need a air conditioner? We have fans in MIchigan. I hate air because here in Michigan you wait all year for those 3-4 nice months and then I hate having the windows closed and the house shut up. We did have it and it was nice at night for sleeping but in Michigan it can get 100 . We just went through a really hot period a week or so ago when it got in the 90. I have to ask this because my kids are freaked out, We have beaches and I was telling then that were we are going to move is by the Ocean. My 6 year old son soon understood that sharks live in the Ocean and jelly fish ect and he isn't so sure about swimming when we move.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimberly View Post
I wanted to ask about the Summers. Do you need a air conditioner? We have fans in MIchigan. I hate air because here in Michigan you wait all year for those 3-4 nice months and then I hate having the windows closed and the house shut up. We did have it and it was nice at night for sleeping but in Michigan it can get 100 . We just went through a really hot period a week or so ago when it got in the 90. I have to ask this because my kids are freaked out, We have beaches and I was telling then that were we are going to move is by the Ocean. My 6 year old son soon understood that sharks live in the Ocean and jelly fish ect and he isn't so sure about swimming when we move.
Yes, we require air conditioners here in the summer. I grew up in Wisconsin and we had one there too! Most of our homes have central a/c and heat too!

Old 06-18-2008, 08:53 PM

162 posts, read 716,908 times
I hate a/c and only turn it on when it's consistently 90 or above for at least 2 days in a row, or if it's so humid that the air quality is poor (even if it's in the 80's) . The electric company loves me. LOL

We use ceiling fans and stand fans quite often. I just love fresh air when I can get it.

The thing I hate about a/c is the stale air. Also, at night in late Spring/early Summer, it's often cool enough outside that the house cools down too much so the a/c doesn't kick on if it's set at 78. I can't stand it b/c it's so stuffy and hot in the house. I'd rather have the windows open.

I've been hating the smokey days we've had b/c a few times it was not overly hot outside, but the air quality was so poor! So yes, I turned on the a/c.

So yes, we have a/c, but we are careful with it. Some people (like my in-laws)run theirs from April to November, lol. We are definitely NOT like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area