U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 05:52 PM

430 posts, read 1,051,337 times

Advertisements

I need more advice. We are moving to the area in JUly. We are from Michigan so my kids have several winter coats. Leggins, boots and all the great walking to the bus ,snowman clothes. I'm having a yard sale and like everyone who moves don't want to bring more than needed. Could someone tell me how they usually need to dress their kids in the winter. I know you do get some snow. Also what is the Spring and Fall weather like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 PM

14 posts, read 71,645 times
Well, one Christmas I remember my grandfather and father going golfing in their shirt sleeves. Really, it never gets too terribly cold in Virginia Beach. Maybe a couple of inches each year, two or three snowstorms? They should have a heavy jacket, but snowboots/pants aren't needed really. Might be nice to have a pair of waterproof boots for the occasional ice storm or cold rain, I guess, but I never had them growing up.

I walked to school every day of high school ten years ago in a heavy coat (not a parka or anything, just a typical winter coat) and scarf and was fine. If you're moving from Michigan, I imagine if anything, you're going to start MISSING cold weather

The spring and fall tend to be fairly mild. It usually starts getting consistently cold around the end of October and is consistently warm by the middle of May. Summer involves lots of thunderstorms, which are wonderful, though different than the midwest.

You'll find the summer is extremely humid, so make sure your AC is working

Not to concern you, but if you're still looking for a house, remember to keep an eye out for flood zones, so as to make hurricanes easier.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:44 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
Keep what you have, you may need it one day and you won't find winter coats HERE like up there. My Mother got me a nice parka in Wisconsin and sent it to me down here. There are days where you feel it's just too damn cold out there and the wind chills the bone. Lots of thrift stores for the spring and summer clothes here.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:25 AM

66 posts, read 176,794 times
I too will be moving to Virginia from Michigan. I am leaving with my kids in 2 weeks to head down there. I was wondering the same thing about the winter clothes. So I want to thank you for posting this thread. I am having a yard sale this weekend to sell what I can. I wish you and your family the best of luck.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlarocque View Post
I too will be moving to Virginia from Michigan. I am leaving with my kids in 2 weeks to head down there. I was wondering the same thing about the winter clothes. So I want to thank you for posting this thread. I am having a yard sale this weekend to sell what I can. I wish you and your family the best of luck.
Be choosy what you sell, because our winters can be cold and rainy.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:15 AM

66 posts, read 176,794 times
I am keeping a lot of their winter clothes but not duplicate coats

Old 06-12-2008, 08:36 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,145,091 times
I think for the entirety of this past winter, I wore my heavy jacket.......... once?

The rest of the time, a simple hoodie with a t-shirt underneath worked perfectly.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I think for the entirety of this past winter, I wore my heavy jacket.......... once?

The rest of the time, a simple hoodie with a t-shirt underneath worked perfectly.
I'll take you on the ships with me...5 minutes on the pier and you'll change your mind!
I thought this winter stunk compared to the past few winters.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:21 PM

136 posts, read 467,932 times
Hi. We had a couple really cold days this past winter but I would recommend you sell the snow boots. We had no accumulation of snow and even if we had a half inch a good pair of tennis shoes would do fine. I am not one to ever wear a heavy coat but for the kids you may want to keep atleast one, mine usually wear a light weight jacket most days.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:38 PM

76 posts, read 240,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciraa View Post
Not to concern you, but if you're still looking for a house, remember to keep an eye out for flood zones, so as to make hurricanes easier.
On average, how often are you hit with hurricanes in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area