Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 10:47 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,222,453 times

Advertisements

My wife and kids (12 and 15) are going to Williamsburg the third week of August. Other than Colonial Williamsburg and Bush Gardens, can anyone suggest other activities and sites to see. Any good restaurant recommendations? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 09:57 PM

10 posts, read 38,164 times
Jamestown and the Naval Museum are both good places to visit. In terms of restaurants, I recommend driving over to New Town (take Monticello Ave. west and it's across from the Court House, can't miss it). They have a wide variety of sit-down places, a Panera, and a few cafes. They have a website with a full list. The Market Square next to CW has good sandwich places. There are three great place across the street from Baskin Robbins. I don't know if your kids would like it, but there's also the huge outlet shopping center. Just make sure to plan for the hot weather and strong sun! We have people fainting almost every day because they don't drink enough water.

Old 08-05-2008, 10:18 PM

8,793 posts, read 15,233,641 times
We were there in July and enjoyed Water Country. If you get the bounce pass online you can visite BG, Water Country, and CW with the one pass. It is cheaper to do it that way rather than getting the tickets seperately, plus the price includes parking. The nice thing about the bounce pass was that we took our son twice to Water Country, but didn't go until 4:00/4:30. We went to CW, then went back another night around 4:30 to catch the Drum and Fife Corps, which we enjoyed. We also went to Jamestown, Yorktown Battlefield, and the Yorktown Victory Center.

We ate at Berret's Seafood in Merchant's Square, which wasn't bad. The menu inside is a bit different than sitting outside. We sat outside. There was an Italian restaurant that we actually went back to (great garlic knots), but I have to look up the name (it escapes me right now). Another was Yorkshire, which was NOT good.

Last edited by tgbwc; 08-05-2008 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: added detail

Old 08-05-2008, 10:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 15,233,641 times
We went to and enjoyed Maurizio's Italian Restaurant 264E McLaws Circle. Found it by chance and went there 3 nights out of the 7 we were there.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:32 AM

2,383 posts, read 6,042,840 times
Things to do: Jamestown, Picnic on Colonial Parkway and/or fish and swim, shopping at the Outlet, Air and Space Museum, Yorktown Beach where you all can swim, eat, play, and there are always the movies at New Town. It's hard with that age because I have a 9 year old and and she is easily entertained, but that age is more independent!

Places to eat: Blue Talon in Colonial Williamsburg, Corner Pocket which offers great food and pool!!! Really any place in New Town is goodo to me! Plus you can walk around and just window shop!
Good luck! That's a tough age for me because we are not there yet!

Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,222,453 times
Thank you all so much for your assistance. I love this site!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area