Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:51 AM

202 posts, read 704,455 times

Advertisements

Hey Snarfy,

I have a house in nice cold, snowy CT that will be on the market next year. Not flat around my house--even my driveway is on a slant! I'd gladly give you all the days below 40 here (and below 30 and below 20).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2008, 08:47 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,450,768 times
Default easy answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
I have seen a lot of posts from people moving here from other areas such as the Northeast and especially Michigan. I was just curious what made you choose to move to Hampton Roads out of any other area in the country? Did you get a job here and that was the reason for the move? Or did you research different areas and find Hampton Roads to be the best?

While this city has a number of benefits, if I could truly move anywhere in the country I would not choose here. There seem to be a lot of other cities in the South that offer a much lower cost of living, safer area, less traffic, more family friendly atmosphere, etc. Or is this just an issue where I am thinking the grass is greener on the other side?

Mainly just wondering what made you choose Hampton Roads over cities like Raleigh, Charlotte, etc.? Thanks.
I had family here. The move was relatively easy I was able to get a job before I even moved here. I'm originally from Akron, OH. Spent a lot of time in the Southern part of Ohio before coming to Virginia. It's a cool place but I wasn't really making the money so it wasn't that hard of a decision to come to Virginia. I didn't like it at first. Quite honestly I prefer areas that remind me of the North, the older, more densely developed cities in HR.

No disrespect but I could never live in areas like Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. what little I know of them. They seem like great areas for what they're worth, where they're at, but it isn't up my alley. If I ever were to go any further South than this it would probably be Atlanta or Miami, though I've heard that other cities in Florida, like Orlando, were cool as well.

I sort of like the 7 city concept. I'm used to a medium to large sized city with like tens of suburbs. Often times those suburbs rarely have any character or substance on their own independent of those cities. I always hated the suburbs when I used to live there.

With what I have now I probably could go back to say Columbus or Indianapolis and do okay for myself. But I like the Coast and have no real reason to return. I like the diversity; yeah there is a lot of military here and there are plenty of transients but what city doesn't have those.

I had some relatives visit and we ended up at MacArthur. Someone remarked that it rivaled some of the shopping complexes in Atlanta, in fact the whole day was an eye opener because they were amazed that parking in Downtown Norfolk was affordable. Portsmouth as well; I think we rode the HRT boat over and parking was free because it was the weekend. Museums were like $3, $7, which is unheard of up North, though DC has some free museums as well.

It'll be even better once they put the train in. Then I can ride that "Choo, Choo to nowhere" and see the region on foot for a change. If I want there are plenty of schools in the area I can add to my skill set through. The area isn't bad for would be entrepreneurs or business owners either; can't really complain. It's very laid back, doesn't always feel like a big city at times but that's one of those great things in life that's free here; the fact that it very much is without always having the stress associated with one. Shopping sucks though.

One other thing, the grass is greener on the other side. I can tell you that from what I've seen of a lot of cities I've visited over the years, though I'm not that intimately affiliated with the South outside of what I've seen in perhaps Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville, etc. The South definitely seems to be "cleaner", and not as "grimy" as the North, but that's mainly due to the heavy prevalence of factories up North, particularly in New Jersey. The North is more dense and people live on top of each other; I know you've heard about the dismantling of housing projects, particularly in Chicago but now it's just rich people living on top of each other in the same neighborhoods the poor were forced to do so in. It's a fast, quick, pace of life, people can either be perceived as rude because they're busy trying to get where they're going or they really are rude for no particular reason. People are insular and narcissistic, but you learn how to deal with it and you adapt. A lot of people in HR are taking permanent vacations from cities like New York, Boston, etc. they just don't realize it yet. They never really do go back home. Not sure if I'll end up being one of those people just taking it one day at a time seeing what the next day brings me. No real reason to leave yet.

Old 08-08-2008, 06:11 AM

239 posts, read 633,203 times
Default Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
I had family here. The move was relatively easy I was able to get a job before I even moved here. I'm originally from Akron, OH. Spent a lot of time in the Southern part of Ohio before coming to Virginia. It's a cool place but I wasn't really making the money so it wasn't that hard of a decision to come to Virginia. I didn't like it at first. Quite honestly I prefer areas that remind me of the North, the older, more densely developed cities in HR.

No disrespect but I could never live in areas like Raleigh, Charlotte, etc. what little I know of them. They seem like great areas for what they're worth, where they're at, but it isn't up my alley. If I ever were to go any further South than this it would probably be Atlanta or Miami, though I've heard that other cities in Florida, like Orlando, were cool as well.

I sort of like the 7 city concept. I'm used to a medium to large sized city with like tens of suburbs. Often times those suburbs rarely have any character or substance on their own independent of those cities. I always hated the suburbs when I used to live there.

With what I have now I probably could go back to say Columbus or Indianapolis and do okay for myself. But I like the Coast and have no real reason to return. I like the diversity; yeah there is a lot of military here and there are plenty of transients but what city doesn't have those.

I had some relatives visit and we ended up at MacArthur. Someone remarked that it rivaled some of the shopping complexes in Atlanta, in fact the whole day was an eye opener because they were amazed that parking in Downtown Norfolk was affordable. Portsmouth as well; I think we rode the HRT boat over and parking was free because it was the weekend. Museums were like $3, $7, which is unheard of up North, though DC has some free museums as well.

It'll be even better once they put the train in. Then I can ride that "Choo, Choo to nowhere" and see the region on foot for a change. If I want there are plenty of schools in the area I can add to my skill set through. The area isn't bad for would be entrepreneurs or business owners either; can't really complain. It's very laid back, doesn't always feel like a big city at times but that's one of those great things in life that's free here; the fact that it very much is without always having the stress associated with one. Shopping sucks though.

One other thing, the grass is greener on the other side. I can tell you that from what I've seen of a lot of cities I've visited over the years, though I'm not that intimately affiliated with the South outside of what I've seen in perhaps Atlanta, Knoxville, Nashville, etc. The South definitely seems to be "cleaner", and not as "grimy" as the North, but that's mainly due to the heavy prevalence of factories up North, particularly in New Jersey. The North is more dense and people live on top of each other; I know you've heard about the dismantling of housing projects, particularly in Chicago but now it's just rich people living on top of each other in the same neighborhoods the poor were forced to do so in. It's a fast, quick, pace of life, people can either be perceived as rude because they're busy trying to get where they're going or they really are rude for no particular reason. People are insular and narcissistic, but you learn how to deal with it and you adapt. A lot of people in HR are taking permanent vacations from cities like New York, Boston, etc. they just don't realize it yet. They never really do go back home. Not sure if I'll end up being one of those people just taking it one day at a time seeing what the next day brings me. No real reason to leave yet.
Hi Goofy, just one quick comment, I am not sure if you have ever really seen Miami, but trust me, you DO NOT want to move there. I am not a big fan of Hampton Roads, but this area is paradise compared to Miami. Stay away from there at all costs!!!!

Old 08-08-2008, 08:09 AM

290 posts, read 1,159,348 times
This area is about as far as I am willing to go South, so im just kind of here, but I plan on moving to DC in the next two years, I need more city culture, more art and the hipster seen here is weak. I am not a beach guy, so its usless to me.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:08 AM

32 posts, read 92,818 times
I had to get out of NY due to high cost of living. I refused to move Florida, and could not handle anywhere that was too rural. VB had most of the amenities of Long Island, but for half the price.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:15 PM

162 posts, read 638,442 times
Came up here to visit a friend. Visited in December, sold the home and moved three months later in March! Had been in Boca Raton, FL more than 15 years and was ready for a change. Actually contacted a guy in our development in FL just to ask a few quick questions regarding...if I wanted to sell... Within two days he called back and said he just happened to run into someone who wanted to see the house! Would I sign a contract just so he could show it! The person wanted to see it that evening. Uh...let me straighten up a little first. Came in at 8 a.m. the next day. Had a signed contract by 10 a.m.!!! Woooo hoooo! Packed up and moved!

We've been very happy here so far. Interesting how things turn out.

P.S. We're also closer to family.

Old 09-28-2008, 06:40 AM

111 posts, read 353,645 times
Well, I didn't choose to be here as much as the Navy decided that I've been in San Diego too long and sent me here out of A-school. It took a lot of getting used to, but if I wasn't hopelessly in love with San Diego, I'd stay here a while. But I am, San Diego is home and where all my family is, and that's where my heart will always be. But HR is a close second - home enough.
I read some comments about this area having mild winters...? Where are you from? Becuase seriously, last winter (my first ever real winter, or as close as I've come to one so far), my first winter here, was the worst winter I've ever experienced in my entire life. But maybe that's because I'm from San Diego where the weather is a foreign concept. Actually, I'm finding the weather here the worst weather I've ever experienced in my life. But that's probably because I've been somewhat spoiled by warm, sunny, summer-esq weather year round. And there's no decent mexican food here either, but again, this is coming from someone who's been a bit spoiled. But weather, distance from family, and lack of mexican food aside, it's not bad here at all.
But it took me a while to get used to the biggest hills being, well, bridges. Overall, it's not bad here.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:12 AM

111 posts, read 364,240 times
Default Husband's job

He took a position here. The earlier poster is correct about teaching jobs. The area is aging, and there are fewer and fewer kids and teaching jobs. I am very blessed to have found one. So any teachers out there, think twice before moving to this area.

I don't like this area. I prefer a quiet town in Massachusetts with Boston nearby any day. I also prefer Rhode Island over this area.

Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 AM

209 posts, read 771,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
This area is about as far as I am willing to go South, so im just kind of here, but I plan on moving to DC in the next two years, I need more city culture, more art and the hipster seen here is weak. I am not a beach guy, so its usless to me.
Hey! NC isn't so bad... It's them thar people in SC you have to watch for. ;p

Old 09-30-2008, 01:22 PM

324 posts, read 1,138,604 times
My husband and I were looking for a change of scenery.. . . have no kids and no bills holding us back, so here we are! (some people thought we were crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area