U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,384 times

Advertisements

Hi- I am looking for advice on where to find look for a house in the Norfolk/VB area. My husband will be working at JFCom and is leary of long commutes. However, he will likely be deployed much of the next two years. I will be at home with 3 kids, ages 8,11, 12. We currently homeschool and had wanted to put the kids into the Gifted Schools but are being told that we have to apply for next year as they are full now. We will not be able to come to the area until we move in late July so I will be under a huge time crunch with movers waiting to deliver furniture! Online is a tough way to choose a place to live. I have looked at Larchmont and Ghent in Norfolk but find very few homes to rent that are big enough. I found a great home on the water but it directly faces the airport and I worry about noise (Norfolk Int'l). We found homes in VB on "Witchduck", "Lawson Cove", and "Wingfield" but I don't know the names of the areas. All my kids swim competitively. If you know any homeschool info that would be great too. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 05:15 PM

2,124 posts, read 7,778,029 times
Hi moving. first, Va Beach schools have great gifted programs. Each school will have gifted clusters so your kids don't have to attend the gifted schools for instruction. My son is in gifted cluster at his home elementary school, going into 5th grade. And the middle and high schools have advanced/honors classes.

My son also swam competitively, and he swam the Tides. they practice at the Mount Trashmore YMCA and the Great Neck YMCA. As often as the kids have to attend practice you may want to find out if this is a team you would like and look at some areas that would be comfortable to commute to as well. there website is Tide Swimming Home

They have some great coaches and it was recommended by our team in Richmond when we moved here.

Depending on those things, I can make some recommendations on neighborhoods if you tell me what price range you would be in.

Feel free to direct message me for additional information.

Shelly

Old 06-22-2008, 09:49 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
That's pretty cool Shelly...great to know VB has these programs for kids with talent.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
Default Give North Suffolk a try

Hello Moving
JFCom is located about 10 miles (with minor traffic) from the north suffolk area, I have a beautiful 6 bedroom home (that I'm getting ready to put on the rental market) located in a quiet neighborhood with lots of kids in a good school district. The neighborhood has other military personnel as well as parents who homeschool their children. Let me know if you're interested in more information or pictures.
thanks and good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingVA View Post
Hi- I am looking for advice on where to find look for a house in the Norfolk/VB area. My husband will be working at JFCom and is leary of long commutes. However, he will likely be deployed much of the next two years. I will be at home with 3 kids, ages 8,11, 12. We currently homeschool and had wanted to put the kids into the Gifted Schools but are being told that we have to apply for next year as they are full now. We will not be able to come to the area until we move in late July so I will be under a huge time crunch with movers waiting to deliver furniture! Online is a tough way to choose a place to live. I have looked at Larchmont and Ghent in Norfolk but find very few homes to rent that are big enough. I found a great home on the water but it directly faces the airport and I worry about noise (Norfolk Int'l). We found homes in VB on "Witchduck", "Lawson Cove", and "Wingfield" but I don't know the names of the areas. All my kids swim competitively. If you know any homeschool info that would be great too. Many thanks.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:59 AM

106 posts, read 340,438 times
I am moving to NOVA and have a house for sale in Suffolk, an easy commute to JFCom, no interstates or tunnels. Let me know.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:42 PM

7 posts, read 46,785 times
Hi moving. I can't say for the schools, but on finding a house, AHRN.com saved me when I had to look for a place out here in May! I was on a time crunch, too. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area