Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 09:24 PM

76 posts, read 408,264 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I have some people visiting the area, and they wanted to know if there were any good seafood feast places? I recommended Dirty Dicks and Watermans, although I have never been to either.

Can anyone offer any insight?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 11:40 PM

132 posts, read 660,905 times
Seafood feast? If you mean buffet, Capt. Georges on Laskin Rd. is pretty good. Not necessarily the best quality, but pretty good and CRAB LEGS!

Old 06-21-2008, 05:43 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,112 times
Yeah, I wasn't sure about what "seafood feast" meant. I agree that if you mean buffet, definately Captain George's (not to be confused with George's) on Laskin. Dirty Dick's is a tourist trap and I've never heard of Waterman's.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:39 AM

78 posts, read 150,789 times
Captain George's will be OK if your guests think that Ponderosa has good food.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:07 PM

162 posts, read 801,467 times
I was going to recommend Captain George's also.

While I've never eaten there, I've heard for a buffet seafood type of place, it's pretty good. You're not gonna get a 5 star dinner at a buffet seafood place.

Waterman's is good, but it's not a buffet.

The best thing to do is look in the coupon books and see what kind of places there are. YOu can also look on hamptonroads.com for reviews of different restaurants.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:54 PM

76 posts, read 408,264 times
Well, let me include their email as a window into their request.

Quote:
we want to go to a seafood restaurant that serves steamed crabs, etc. in a big pot and then you lay the food out on a big table and just eat them.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:47 PM

132 posts, read 660,905 times
Crab eaters feel the pinch of new state restrictions | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

This year the local crab market has been terrible. If you find a restarant that offers such a thing, it would be very expensive. If they really want steamed blue crabs, go buy a bushel at a seafood market and pick'em in the backyard.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:47 AM

486 posts, read 1,948,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resnostyle View Post
Well, let me include their email as a window into their request.
I know what they're talking about. I also didn't see the oceanfront requirement. I take back the Capt. Georges suggestion (I've never been there but I had company last weekend who went there and said it was pretty good for a buffet).
If they want a cool, locals atmosphere, Chick's Oyster Bar is great, but expensive (also a little bit of a drive from oceanfront). Here's a link to their menu: Casting Off (broken link)
I was just there last night. They have a huge, new outside bar, where my husband and I drank beer and people watched for hours. If they want a cheaper, more touristy atmosphere, Dirty Dicks may be what they are looking for.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:33 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
I like Rockfish, though they don't have a buffet, they have a nice platter. Croakers has wonderful seafood as well and worth the price. It's normally 54 for two of us when we eat there, including a couple drinks.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:44 PM

162 posts, read 801,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the4pits View Post
Crab eaters feel the pinch of new state restrictions | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

This year the local crab market has been terrible. If you find a restarant that offers such a thing, it would be very expensive. If they really want steamed blue crabs, go buy a bushel at a seafood market and pick'em in the backyard.
I have to 2nd this suggestion. I think you get a better deal this way anyway. Those AYCE (All You Can Eat) places waste a lot of crabs. We are originally from MD and got crabs recently at Bonnie & Sons on the corner of Upton Dr. and Princess Anne Rd. to eat at home and were very happy with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area