U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 08:37 PM

3 posts, read 4,302 times

Advertisements

hello!!
we just found out the we will be moving to the Hampton roads area the middle of july!!!!
my husband will be working at the Little Creek Naval Base...we are lost as to where to live. HELP!!!! He doesn't want to be more than 20 minutes from work. i know that real estate is HIGH up there- but we really want to buy something. something suitable for a growing family! suggestions that are safe, kid friendly, not ridiculously priced??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 08:42 PM

162 posts, read 717,861 times
Are you looking for a single family home, duplex, townhouse, or condo?

My friend's husband is stationed at Little Creek and they recently bought an end unit townhouse in the Kempsville area of VB for under $250K. They are happy there.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:26 AM

239 posts, read 555,267 times
How long will you be staying in Hampton Roads? From a financial perspective, if you are going to be here less than 5 or 6 years I would strongly consider renting. In my opinion, real estate prices are still going to drop or at best remain stagnant for quite awhile and renting would prevent you from losing money on a purchase. Currently, many people are renting their house cause they can't sell right now so there are some deals out there.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:48 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,916,891 times
Lots of nice places to rent down shore drive near little creek. Lived out there for 20 years! Kempsville area is a bit of a distance from Little Creek. You'd like living on the bay, lots of nice places and lots of things to do. Right now it's a buyers market, so if you find something you feel is pricy, make an offer and see where it goes. Great Neck intersects with Shore Drive and that's where the base gates are.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 AM

82 posts, read 268,998 times
What kind of price range and how many bedrooms, bath, then I can give you a price range

Old 06-23-2008, 08:36 AM

1,673 posts, read 5,537,164 times
Buying could be a good idea too because of the high inventory you may be able to strike a deal. A lot of homes are really sitting. I am closing on a house that has been totally remodeled, is in a very desirable neighborhood and am amazed it sat for 6 months to actually sell.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:19 PM

Default moving in JULY pt. 2!!!!

WOW!!! thanks for all of the responses!!!! i'm not sure if i am posting properly or not- so....sorry if i am not!

we are currently unsure how long we will be in the area. it could be as little as 1 yr. or as long as 20 yrs!! we are looking for a townhouse or single family. we have a 4 yr. old and another on the way- so we need a place to play! we would like to have 3-4 br and 2- 2.5 baths. like i said, my husband would like to be close to the base so his commute wouldn't be so far (he currently drives 25 miles/ 30-40 minutes)....however, I don't want to have to drive 20 miles to go to the store!! haha!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:23 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,916,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingOnFaith View Post
WOW!!! thanks for all of the responses!!!! i'm not sure if i am posting properly or not- so....sorry if i am not!

we are currently unsure how long we will be in the area. it could be as little as 1 yr. or as long as 20 yrs!! we are looking for a townhouse or single family. we have a 4 yr. old and another on the way- so we need a place to play! we would like to have 3-4 br and 2- 2.5 baths. like i said, my husband would like to be close to the base so his commute wouldn't be so far (he currently drives 25 miles/ 30-40 minutes)....however, I don't want to have to drive 20 miles to go to the store!! haha!!!
Living on Shore Drive would suite you then. You do not want to live near Weslyan College or Cypress...just too much crap that goes on around that neighborhood and section 8 (low income) housing isn't far from there, which brings the brats that do the vandilism.
There is also base housing at Little Creek, but I don't know the availability of it. Like I said earlier, I think you would be happy around Great Neck/Shore Drive area. Lots of nice places down there and it's quiet.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:57 AM

78 posts, read 200,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingOnFaith View Post

What's your price range?

Old 06-24-2008, 01:42 PM

Default the tough part

we are looking to keep it @ 200K or less- i know that seems to be an impossible dream...but thats the budget...my husband refuses to be "house poor"...and that will already double our current mortgage!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area