U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:59 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,908,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouletteyou View Post
D.......E........A.........D and absolutely geared toward the 50-70yr old set. Which is cool if your an old 50. 50 is not that old unless you want it to be.
Hey, since when is 50 old???? We're the new 40's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 12:33 PM

23 posts, read 43,663 times
[quote=Mr Williamsburg;4658831]It is definitely a buyers market here in Williamsburg/ James City County VA. Property taxes in the City of Williamsburg VA are .54 per $100 ( $2700 annual on a homes assessed at $500,000) IN James City County the tax rate is .77 per $100 ( $3850 annual on $500,000 assesses home ) Inventories are high, bargains are here. It just depend on exactly what you are looking for size, age of home, price range etc. There are certain parts of the City of Williamsburg that might be appealing. Quite a few of our homes are in communities that have HOA fees.
Tell us a price range and a little more about your desires in a home and we'll make additional recommendations!
Queens Lake in York County, Kingswood, Kingspoint, Windsor Forest in James City County might be to your liking. All are older communities, very established , lots of variety in architecture, within a few miles to shopping, etc.[/quote

That is helpful....does your company have a website? I want to rent a home at first (with patio or small courtyard or yard....for my very small dog) and be near Colonial Williamsburg and a great gym. The gym is critical....I go three times a week! And I would like to work in Colonial Williamsburg. And somehow, meet people and make friends my age....50's and 60's. Rent needs to be under $1500 a month.....and I have seen some things on a realtor's site in Jamestown Farms , whatever that is. The treet is Gaslight Way...and the listing says it is in Williamsburg. Is that a good idea for a single woman living alone, with only dog and cat for company? I have made the mistake of being too isolated before and it was very lonely and really deadly. What is Newtown?

Anyway, I have my house on the market here in Texas and will be there as soon as this house sells! I am grateful for any and all advice!

Old 09-15-2009, 04:06 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,345,836 times
The home you asked about on Gaslight is in the Waterford section of Powhatan Secondary, great neighborhood with both families, individuals and retirees. Powhatan is one of the most conveniently located communities in the entire county. Within walking distance are a major department store ( Target), a major food store,( Ukrops) several pharmacies, a full-service gas station, two major bank/lending institutions, eateries, novelty stores, and service establishments such as video rental and parcel mailing.
Within a few miles is The James City County Rec Center (http://www.jccegov.com/recreation/community/james-city-jcwcc.html - broken link)it offers a great gym with fitness equipment, indoor pool, indoor track, racquetball, basketball, fitness programs and more. Ironbound Gym is another popular workout spot located nearby in New Town.

New Town has become the center of Williamsburg/ James City County. It is a Traditional Neighborhood Development ( TND) Everything is walk-able. Within it are 24+ places to eat, a 12 screen movie theater, Barnes and Noble, Several Coffee Shops, a bakery, Trader Joes, other retail stores, banks, doctors offices, dentist offices and much more. Housing options in New Town range from town-house style apartments to town–homes ( Oxford) to detached homes, to midrise condos. Prices in New Town range from $200’s to over $500k. Apartments rent for $1050 for one bedrooms, and $1250 for two bedrooms. They do accept pets.

There was one home in Counselors Close for only $1425. I almost never see rentals that nice that close to CW. Quaint little village like community only a few blocks to Merchants Square and all of CW. That along with a few in Powhatan for $1500 or less might be worth considering.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:57 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,196,695 times
Wow, that's a lot for property taxes- isn't it? We paid $550 annually for our home valued at 155K in CO. Is that normal out here in VA? Or is it a east coast thing?
We signed a lease at the Powahatan at Monticello (behind Target) for a 3bedroom, 2bathroom, 1 car garage and we will be doing almost 1500 monthly. Still feels outrageously high considering you are getting a townhome, not a house. We are slowly, SLOWLY adjusting to the cost of living here. Like at a snail pace.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:32 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,345,836 times
You are the very first person that felt our property taxes were high. Quite a few people have moved here from states where taxes were double and triple what they are here.

When compared against other developed areas in the region we are still among the lowest around:
Hampton Roads Property Tax Rates:

Chesapeake, $1.05 per $100

Currituck $0.32 per $100
Franklin

Gloucester ,$0.61 per $100

Hampton ,$1.04 per $100

Isle of Wight County ,$0.52 per $100

James City County ,$0.77 per $100

Mathews ,$0.56 per $100

Middlesex,]$0.35 per $100

New Kent County,$0.73 per $100

Newport News, $1.10 per $100
Poquoson, $0.81 per $100

Portsmouth ,$1.21 per $100

Southampton County,$.72 per $100

Suffolk ,0.91 per $100

Virginia Beach , $0.89 per $100

Williamsburg, $0.54 per $100

York County, $0.6575 per $100

Last edited by Mr Williamsburg; 09-16-2009 at 07:42 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 08:53 PM

135 posts, read 301,388 times
I think Williamsburg is the most safe place around here. I would love to live there if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area