Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,511 times

Advertisements

Verizon has been doing a lot of advertising about their $99 bundle---Landline phone service, internet, and TV which definetly got my attention.

After doing some research, I found that this $99 bundle would cost me a lot more money if I switched my service from Cox!

FIOS TV essentials package (part of the $99 bundle) only offers 7 local channels in HD!

If I upgraded to their FIOS TV Extreme ($10.00 extra), I will get 60 channels of HD content---NOT the 100 channels that they advertise on TV and the price of the internet service that is included in the bundle (10Mbps/2Mbps) goes up $2 a month!

Cox also provides FREE Internet Security software for up to 6 computers with their Preferred/Premier internet service. Verizon will charge $5.99 extra a month for their Internet Security software for up to only 3 computers. This would cost me another $72 a year with Verizon FIOS when Cox gives it to me for free!

Also, the bundle discount price drops from $40.98 to only $27.99---Wow! Upgrading to the comparable number of HD channels that I have with Cox just cost me $25 extra ($10 extra and $13 reduced bundle discount)!

Cox's HD service is FREE!

Verizon's HD receiver costs $9.99 a month. Cox's HD receiver costs only $5.50 a month. I would be spending an extra $54 a year for Verizon's HD receiver---Why would I want to do this?

And because Verizon wants to charge me $5.99 extra for every Standard Definition Box---I have 3 Standard Defintion TVs in my house, I would be paying $18 extra each month which amounts to another $216 a year. Cox does not require a receiver/box for standard cable---It's free!

Customer service is VERY important to me. After talking with a Verizon agent, she informed me that if I had a problem with any of my Verizon FIOS receivers, I would need to call 1-800 VERIZON. I would then have a Verizon associate "trouble shoot" my problem. If the problem was not resolved, I would have to wait for a box to be sent to me (which would take at a minimum 2 to 3 days)! I like the convenience of being able to visit any one of the local Cox Hampton Roads stores and I can have my equipment exchanged WITHOUT any hassles and NO troubleshooting!

Cox has also been a part of the Hampton Roads community for over 20 years. That means a lot to me, I am all about supporting my community!

So even with the $150 discount that Verizon would be giving me back by switching from Cox, I would still be paying them a lot more money!

I am definetly staying with Cox and I would encourage you to do the same thing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 09:17 AM

6,293 posts, read 10,539,142 times
We just recently moved, and I found the same thing when I comparison shopped between the two. I found cox to be the better deal. I didn't realize about the security suite though. I'm glad I stayed with cox.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:32 PM

520 posts, read 1,620,507 times
I hate Verizon.

Been happy with Cox cablemodems (I have two at home, not many issues).

I've heard of shady dealings with Cox and mayors and stuff, but politicians are always cheats so it's no surprise.

Old 04-18-2009, 02:25 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,409,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regowens View Post
Verizon has been doing a lot of advertising about their $99 bundle---Landline phone service, internet, and TV which definetly got my attention.

After doing some research, I found that this $99 bundle would cost me a lot more money if I switched my service from Cox!

FIOS TV essentials package (part of the $99 bundle) only offers 7 local channels in HD!

If I upgraded to their FIOS TV Extreme ($10.00 extra), I will get 60 channels of HD content---NOT the 100 channels that they advertise on TV and the price of the internet service that is included in the bundle (10Mbps/2Mbps) goes up $2 a month!

Cox also provides FREE Internet Security software for up to 6 computers with their Preferred/Premier internet service. Verizon will charge $5.99 extra a month for their Internet Security software for up to only 3 computers. This would cost me another $72 a year with Verizon FIOS when Cox gives it to me for free!

Also, the bundle discount price drops from $40.98 to only $27.99---Wow! Upgrading to the comparable number of HD channels that I have with Cox just cost me $25 extra ($10 extra and $13 reduced bundle discount)!

Verizon's HD receiver costs $9.99 a month. Cox's HD receiver costs only $5.50 a month. I would be spending an extra $54 a year for Verizon's HD receiver---Why would I want to do this?

And because Verizon wants to charge me $5.99 extra for every Standard Definition Box---I have 3 Standard Defintion TVs in my house, I would be paying $18 extra each month which amounts to another $216 a year. Cox does not require a receiver/box for standard cable---It's free!

Customer service is VERY important to me. After talking with a Verizon agent, she informed me that if I had a problem with any of my Verizon FIOS receivers, I would need to call 1-800 VERIZON. I would then have a Verizon associate "trouble shoot" my problem. If the problem was not resolved, I would have to wait for a box to be sent to me (which would take at a minimum 2 to 3 days)! I like the convenience of being able to visit any one of the local Cox Hampton Roads stores and I can have my equipment exchanged WITHOUT any hassles and NO troubleshooting!

Cox has also been a part of the Hampton Roads community for over 20 years. That means a lot to me, I am all about supporting my community!

So even with the $150 discount that Verizon would be giving me back by switching from Cox, I would still be paying them a lot more money!

No thanks...had cox for years. Have had FIOS since they installed the cable. I'm very happy with the service package.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:45 PM

I get my HDTV over the air (via computer). Would never pay for cable television again.

You can also watch some content over the internet. I have no problems streaming Bloomberg. Also I tend to "pick up" documentaries and other good stuff from all across the world. Watching one right now on the housing meltdown in the USA. I think it's from Australia. They don't air stuff like this *IN* the USA that I know of, other countries have better information about what's going on here than our own media, as there are different agendas.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:08 PM

Cox is fiber to the neighborhood edge, where FIOS is fiber to the house.

When the hurricanes hit, there were either power issues or fiber optic cell site to cell site connectivity issues resulting in many of the cell towers being down. Cox had failures on their business SONET rings due to power outages at facilities they couldn't get into. Not all cell sites have generators (some just have a plug to connect a trailer mounted one). With there being power outages reaching 14+ days in some areas, there was network outages.

Cox has a call center in Chesapeake, Verizon has one that was handling FiOS calls in Norfolk I believe (I think it's off of Robin Hood Road).

Is FIOS rolling out in Suffolk? Suffolk is dead to me due to the lack of Cox cable or other internet providers. I still *HATE* Verizon, but it would be interesting if they are out there. The city council in Suffolk should have revoked Charter's Charter when they had the chance.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:37 PM

37,449 posts, read 45,651,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
We just recently moved, and I found the same thing when I comparison shopped between the two. I found cox to be the better deal. I didn't realize about the security suite though. I'm glad I stayed with cox.
I don't pay anything to Verizon for internet security software. I have my own. I'd never puchase that through an ISP provider!!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:57 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,409,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I don't pay anything to Verizon for internet security software. I have my own. I'd never puchase that through an ISP provider!!
Same here

Old 02-19-2010, 12:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,818 times
Not going to enter the Cox vs Verizon debate...only relate that I have had nothing but problems with Cox Hi Speed. I am provisioned at the highest speed. Had connectivity drop intermittently over past year, particularly after 9pm, multiple pcs and other devices, both wired and wireless, no connection to DNS server. Cox tech service first stated it was my router, so i bought a new router. Same issue. Called Cox back, tech says I need a new cable modem. Bought a new Motorola 6120...you guessed it ..same issue! Called Cox again, only for tech to state their is an issue. I've always suspected Cox to be limiting bandwidth and then cycling the connectivity on/off, as they have oversold the area. Cox tech asks me to cycle modem and router.I explain that I've just done that, as well as hard reset the router and reconnect the coax to the modem. Then the tech proceeds to reset my modem! I asked how the tech was just able to reset the modem if there was no connectivity and he was unable to "see" the modem. No reply! He then offers to send a tech out. I am currently out the cost of a new router and modem, which Cox told me to buy. There is clearly imo an issue of Cox turning connectivity on/off. We'll see when the tech comes out. In any case, I would not use Cox as my ISP.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:51 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,165,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regowens View Post

You sound as if you are a Cox employee. This is too carefully scripted to be anything but an advertisement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area