Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by attakus View Post
Not going to enter the Cox vs Verizon debate...only relate that I have had nothing but problems with Cox Hi Speed. I am provisioned at the highest speed. Had connectivity drop intermittently over past year, particularly after 9pm, multiple pcs and other devices, both wired and wireless, no connection to DNS server. Cox tech service first stated it was my router, so i bought a new router. Same issue. Called Cox back, tech says I need a new cable modem. Bought a new Motorola 6120...you guessed it ..same issue! Called Cox again, only for tech to state their is an issue. I've always suspected Cox to be limiting bandwidth and then cycling the connectivity on/off, as they have oversold the area. Cox tech asks me to cycle modem and router.I explain that I've just done that, as well as hard reset the router and reconnect the coax to the modem. Then the tech proceeds to reset my modem! I asked how the tech was just able to reset the modem if there was no connectivity and he was unable to "see" the modem. No reply! He then offers to send a tech out. I am currently out the cost of a new router and modem, which Cox told me to buy. There is clearly imo an issue of Cox turning connectivity on/off. We'll see when the tech comes out. In any case, I would not use Cox as my ISP.

Most techs have absolutely no clue what they are talking about. They read from a script, have no qualifications, and are trained to automatically blame the customer, normally they will blame your hardware or your network set up, that is their standard MO. Almost every script path leads to "Customers fault". They then parrot it back to you.

If they actually send a tech out, some times thats even worse then then the phone tech blaming you. Nine times out of ten the first ones they send are poorly qualified at best, and often will create huge problems. Assuming you do not know how to fix the mess they made, they will make you wait for days or weeks for the "clean up guy" who is often the one guy in the office who has half a clue how to actually fix network and computer issues.

After I clearly told my ex mother in law not to call tech support under any circumstances, and call me with computer issues instead, she ignored me thinking she was smart, and tech support for Verizon not only messed up her router and went through 4 techs who couldnt fix it, but refused to correctly diagnose their shoddy DSL that was losing signal between the pole and the house. Not only did I fix the router problem within 10 minutes, but any person who knows an acceptable amount about computers can easily diagnose a line problem from a modem/router problem.

If you want a Cox story, when my parents first got Cox high speed, back in late 90's before it was extremely popular, it took 3 techs, including the clean up guy to even get the internet accessible on one computer. Yeah, it wasnt as easy then as it is now, but common, its not rocket science.

Cox, Verizon, it doesnt matter. The average "tech" is an imbecile who is making $10 an hour and doesnt even carry the slightest credentials/knowledge to independently diagnose any computer issues. They read from a script that always points to hardware malfunction on your end.

If your modem is brand new, its almost certainly a configuration problem or a line problem, which Cox likely didnt even bother to address, since its always a "hardware" problem. They probably came to this conclusion because they couldnt ping the modem, or they were getting delayed returns.

Modems are not known to have a large failure rate out of the box. The fact that it is a Motorola, which is the company that makes the modems Cox personally sells for their high speed internet, likely would rule out the slight possibility of compatibility issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SojChindo View Post
So, who is the best cable provider in Norfolk? I was hoping that Verizon Fios TV would already be available -- but not yet in my area. I am moving to East Beach in a week and need to decide on cable and internet.

Thanks!
Unfortunately, its my opinion that many sections of Norfolk are limited to one choice for high speed internet and a couple choices for television service offerings (Cox and Satellite) In my opinion any internet service slower than 10Mbos, shouldn't exist.

I've been a Cox customer for over 25+years and found that in recent years the service and choices is not keeping up with today's technology offerings. Direct TV is the primary alternative in Norfolk through a Verizon partnership. Based on my experience with cable service in other states, I find other cities offer much better competition and choices, like Comcast, Time Warner, Verizon Fios to list a few. I want to be fair, it is my personal experience that Cox offers excellent internet service!!

Hopefully the advancement of internet based streaming services will take off soon and move us away from clunky, environmentally unfriendly, cable boxes. Direct TV offers RVU, so if you purchase a Samsung or RVU compatible Smart TV, then you can move away from cable boxes. The correct model TV offers record and plan on any TV with this service without the need to attach another power cord.

My home utilizes smart home technology, but when you shut off the power to the cable boxes for more than 48 hrs, you must call the cable provider to initialize the service and/or reprogram the cable box.

I hope this helps, but I'm afraid your choices are limited and the provider knows it.

Old 01-09-2015, 04:05 AM

6 posts, read 24,877 times
SojChindo asked that question almost 7 years ago...call me crazy, but I would say he/she has selected a cable provider by now.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 PM

8,578 posts, read 7,073,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reb1026 View Post
SojChindo asked that question almost 7 years ago...call me crazy, but I would say he/she has selected a cable provider by now.
That may be, but the choice of providers may have changed as well as features and pricing packages too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area