U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 02:24 PM

10 posts, read 24,183 times

Advertisements

They are both great! Each has its own character. It just depends on whether you are interested in a more urban environment (Norfolk) or a suburban and/or beach environment (VB). Feel free to contact me if you would like more info on either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:58 AM

5,560 posts, read 5,364,361 times
Norfolk is more urban. It isn't that there aren't outsiders in Virginia Beach, just that it is not as diverse as Norfolk. Keep in mind that Norfolk is a city that some in Virginia Beach fled 20 years ago and you have your answer. Now that Virginia Beach is evolving and becoming more urban itself the process continues, and people leave for areas like Chesapeake and Suffolk.

The question itself is relative to what you are looking for. Norfolk is your traditional city with a large Black population and more poverty than what you find in Virginia Beach. Doesn't necessarily say that it is "more welcoming", but you may find it easier to settle down in. There are other issues, like gentrification, in downtown Norfolk. But that is not about race though, but about economic class. Buppies and hipsters would want to live in downtown Norfolk, and Town Center in Virginia Beach, for obvious reasons, but Blacks that are well to do continue to move into cities like Chesapeake, for example.

You have to determine what type of lifestyle you are looking for, how far you want to drive to get it, and make your choice from there. As far as what city is more welcoming, that is relative since this is a transient area to begin with, and no status quo. I'm not sure how welcoming Virginia Beach is, as I am an outsider, but I do most of my shopping, recreation, etc. in Norfolk, so I woudn't not feel the indifference as much as someone who is just stuck in Virginia Beach and has to rely on public transporation, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or