Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 10:09 PM

10 posts, read 45,521 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. I will be driving to VA Beach on Thursday and leaving on Sunday. I am traveling from Boston and was wondering if anyone could provide me with information for the trip such as alternative routes, worst times to travel through certain areas, etc.

My plan was just to travel 95S until I get into Wilmington and then go Route 13S.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 04:50 AM

98 posts, read 784,306 times
I am a native of MA, but central MA so my route takes me a bit differently (I go over the Tappan Zee Bridge) than if I were going to Boston. I can tell you that you should avoid 95 south as much as possible. Ultimately you need to get on the NJ Turnpike, travel that south over the Deleware Memorial Bridge, take 95 south for 4 miles to ROUTE 1 SOUTH, stay on that (about one hour) until you see the exit for NORFOLK (route 13 south). There will be many exits off of Route 1 for 13 south, wait until you see the one for NORFOLK. Follow 13 south (close to 200 miles) across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel (12 dollar toll). Once you cross the 16 mile bridge, you will be in VA beach. There will be (2) 2 dollar tolls on route 1, a toll over the Deleware Mem. Bridge (only going south), tolls on the Turnpike and if you get on the NJ Turnpike via the Garden State Parkway, you will have tolls there. If you have EZ Pass, you are all set, if not, be sure to carry cash/change!!!!

If you google map the trip, I think it will take you down 95 south, which is not faster. Taking the Eastern Shore (which is 13 south) is very pretty and faster. You cannot drive 75 mph down the eastern shore and there are stop lights every so often, but it IS faster!

Have a safe trip!

If you have AAA or someone you know does, I suggest going there and asking for a trip tix and tell them you want to travel down the Eastern Shore to get to VA Beach.

If you have other questions, I can try to help. Overall plan to spend about 10 hours getting here.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:49 AM

3,255 posts, read 5,080,037 times
I concur, as an alternative you can take a break and take the Cape May Ferry too if you want.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:56 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
My spouse is from the Boston area and when we travel to and from (yuk, it's a long 12 hour ride) we take the George Washington Bridge to the turnpike and pick up 13, go CBBT way. You're coming on a Thursday, so the traffic won't be as bad as if you were coming down on Friday. When you leave Sunday, leave around 3-4 a.m. That will put you thru the GW Bridge sooner and you won't have to sit in traffic backup.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 PM

24 posts, read 60,482 times
Stay away from the Cross Bronx Expressway unless it's very late (11pm to 4am) if your going to cross the Hudson at the GW bridge. A better way would be to take the Henry Hudson Parkway/ Saw Mill Pkwy (9A) from the Cross County Pkwy, it puts you right at the bridge for a $2.75 toll. You can get to the Cross County via the Hutchinson River Pkwy and that from 287.

After the Deleware Memorial Bridge, stick with the Eastern shore (stay away from Baltimore & DC) Route 1 to Dover; 113 south is a little better then 13 south (closer to highway speed with less 45mph speed zones along the way)

Good luck.

Old 07-10-2008, 04:49 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Yea, I like the Rt 1 scenic drive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area