U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 AM

162 posts, read 716,975 times

Advertisements

Is it worth it? Who here uses the CBBT enough to know?

I have a feeling it would be shorter and quicker for us to drive to/from the Baltimore area using the CBBT, but am not sure of the best route we should take after getting off 13. It looks like on one suggested route, we would have to still cross the Cheseapeake Bay Bridge near Annapolis (the bridge MD vacationers use to go to/from Ocean City, MD) so we'd be stuck in that traffic. There has to be some other way.

I think the cost to cross the CBBT might be worth it if it's shorter/faster due to the cost of gas being so high.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 01:27 PM

3,255 posts, read 4,497,139 times
I have gone both ways and they end up the same, but I like the drive up the eastern shore better.

Old 07-07-2008, 02:44 PM

98 posts, read 730,402 times
I think you take route 58 off 13.
I don't think it is shorter, but if nothing else, you can avoid 95!!!!!!
Happy travels.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:52 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
Take the Cape May Ferry sometime if you're not going anywhere particular...it's awesome!

Old 07-08-2008, 12:43 AM

328 posts, read 1,403,158 times
Really??? How would you take the CBBT to get to Baltimore?? I have never seen that before. I have always done 95. Good Question W. I am heading back to Baltimore in the next week as a matter of fact as well. Usually with 95 and all that is about a 4 and a half hout drive unless there are Accidents, the tunnel is backed up, or horrible DC/NoVA traffic..I Yahoo Mapped Norfolk 23508 to Ocean City Maryland, then Ocean City Maryland to Baltimore, MD 21209 and it came up 6+ Hours ????

Hmm I would LOVE to pass through OC and get some Fishers PopCorn but I wouldn't want to to do it if it going to make my drive longer :/ W can ya help your neighbor out??

Last edited by BikesareBetter; 07-08-2008 at 12:55 AM..

Old 07-08-2008, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
Really??? How would you take the CBBT to get to Baltimore?? I have never seen that before. I have always done 95. Good Question W. I am heading back to Baltimore in the next week as a matter of fact as well. Usually with 95 and all that is about a 4 and a half hout drive unless there are Accidents, the tunnel is backed up, or horrible DC/NoVA traffic..I Yahoo Mapped Norfolk 23508 to Ocean City Maryland, then Ocean City Maryland to Baltimore, MD 21209 and it came up 6+ Hours ????

Hmm I would LOVE to pass through OC and get some Fishers PopCorn but I wouldn't want to to do it if it going to make my drive longer :/ W can ya help your neighbor out??
LOL...you want some popcorn don't ya!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:21 AM

Bikes-unfortunately you wouldn't go through Ocean City, lol! It's about 3 hours northeast to there from VB, according to Google maps.

You gave me a taste for some Fisher's popcorn, though. YUMMO. We also used to go to Candy Kitchen all the time in OC, but I've not set foot in one here since we moved here! LOL

Since all the mapping programs take you up 95, you'd have to route your trip to a MD address from somewhere around Cape Charles (which is on the other side of the CBBT) so you can get an idea of how Mapquest or Google routes it.

Essentially it would be Rt 13 N to Rt 50W to Rt. 97N to 695. That route takes you across the Chesapeake Bay bridge in Annapolis, though. This time of year it's backed up with tourists most of the time(as you know). In the off season, though, it's probably fine.

It really doesn't look shorter. The CBBT website says it's 90 miles shorter, but that's really for travellers from NJ, NY and above.

Erma-unfortunately, taking that route would not put you anywhere near the Cape May ferry. I have heard great things about the ferry before, though. I visited there and Wildwood as a child, but did not take the ferry.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjbward View Post
Erma-unfortunately, taking that route would not put you anywhere near the Cape May ferry. I have heard great things about the ferry before, though. I visited there and Wildwood as a child, but did not take the ferry.
Oh I know...but it's a great ride. We used to take it up to Earl, NJ when we were working on the Oilers up there.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 AM

That area is so neat. So different from a lot of New Jersey! LOL My mom grew up in Camden and Woodbury and my grandmother eventually settled in a little area off of 95 called Thorofare. (neary Woodbury)

I loved visiting the Jersey Shore the few times I went there. I think it's so funny that you have to pay per person to go on the beach in some parts of the Jersey Shore, though.

Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 AM

You can't beat the sub sandwiches up there! I came home with most of my per diem because I'd buy a foot long and keep the other half for dinner. They put nearly a half pound of meat on them with all the fixin's and that italian bread, it's pretty filling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area