U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,905,672 times

Advertisements

There are some nice social groups out there if you look for them. Here's a link to a singles-social networking groups in norfolk-vabeach.
Singles Norfolk-Virginia Beach, VA covers Virginia singles life, socials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 06:39 PM

209 posts, read 681,040 times
I don't need anything like that!!!

*bookmarks* >.>

Old 07-13-2008, 07:43 PM

57 posts, read 187,717 times
I've noticed the same thing. I've lived in Virginia Beach about 13 years, and have a job where i interact with the public heavily every day, and things have been great up until maybe the last year or so. A few months ago I saw someone literally chase a car down Laskin Avenue on foot after they pulled forward and would not let his car back out of a space. One of my favorite pasttimes has become sitting and watching the Mercedes and BMW's almost mowing down pedestrians in the crosswalk in front of Fresh Market in Hilltop. There are a lot of very angry and self-absorbed people in this city.

Perhaps it's just economic. People in this area are watching their home values plummet while paying through the nose for gas and food. Maybe it's just taking a toll on everbody.

Old 07-13-2008, 08:55 PM

261 posts, read 1,134,306 times
I wouldn't say that people are less friendly, I just sensed a good bit of indifference while I was there. I lived a year in Norfolk, then almost two years in Chesapeake before moving away in '07.

Even after I bought a house in a neighborhood, virtually nobody reached out to me. But, if I made the effort to reach out to them (nothing big, just a knock and a hello), people tended to be friendly. From a distance, not all of them appeared that they would be. But, as I found out, an ugly-as-sin yard didn't mean that you would be a bad person

However I was disappointed that even when I did reach out, I never made any really long-term friendships happen. There was some standoffishness. It was nice though that after the initial introduction, we all were on smiling/waving terms.

I will say, too, that this indifference that seemed to be prevalent extended to general courtesies in society -- holding the door for the person behind you, using an "inside voice" in line at the post office, etc. Maybe that's lack of respect. Maybe its obliviousness. Maybe it's a shove-it kind of mentality. I couldn't say for sure.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:23 AM

23,012 posts, read 31,979,565 times
Anyone from the peninsula care to comment?

Old 07-22-2008, 02:55 PM

161 posts, read 604,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobie View Post
Well, by no means am I putting down the people that live here. I do think that my generation needs to loosen up some, but it's not as horrable as I make it sound. Like I said, I've been told I'm an intiadating person so it could all be just me. I had one girl tell me that her husband didn't like me and I had just met her the day before. lol *She is a client, BTW.*

(rant_mode)It's a shame about kids today. In my day it was respect your elders, do good, and experiance life. Now it's everyones a pedo out to rape you, do nothing that doesn't benifit you in some way, and keep to your self for fear of death or worse. Just look at the TV, every time you turn it on it's a "new" danger you should keep your kids from. They have a commercial running right now where they tell you that "80% of CHILDREN give out infomation online." The report they site considers 16-18 yearolds to be kids and info to be anything form a nickname to their home address and it doesn't tell you if they are giving the info out to real firends or some perv they met online. It's all built to make parents fear the world and to drive ratings. We should treat all kids like they are just things and they only have the intelegance of a gnat. I mean, it's worked great so far, right? Excuse me while I go play with firecrackers, talk to someone I don't know, and drink from a waterhose.(/rant_mode)

Back on topic: I would like to meet some nice people my age. Right now, all the people I associate with are 20-some years older than me or foreign. Hard to get a girlfriend like that... well... maybe having a foreign girlfriend would be an interesting experiance. XD I'm sure they don't want a hillbilly for a boyfriend, though. I'm by no means cool or hip.
Shoobie, I completely agree with you. I have a really hard time meeting people who are, for lack of a better term, worth something. That sounds mean, but I want stimulating conversation! I don't care about material possessions and being in my 20s it's hard to find people who are beyond that around here, let alone anywhere. *sigh*

Oh, and I always get that "you're intimidating" thing. What does that even mean!? :-p

Old 07-22-2008, 04:26 PM

Wow...when we moved in our new house 2 1/2 years ago, our neighbors came over with a cake and welcomed us to the neighborhood. I guess it all depends on where you live.
I also interact with ALOT of people everyday and even if I'm going into a store and someone holds the door open just enough for me to catch it, I say thank you or do the same for someone else. Maybe people today just need to be recognize a little bit. Everyone in today's world seems to be into their own thing, own thoughts, own problems.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:31 PM

209 posts, read 681,040 times
It's mostly guys that say that, so I'm guessing it's their Alpha-Male(TM) sense going off. Most girls call me a teddybear... Makes me wonder why I'm single.

Hey Erma, if I move to your neighborhood, will you bring me cake and coffee? OH! Forget cake, brownies... I'm so hungry now...

Old 07-23-2008, 01:00 AM

328 posts, read 1,403,710 times
"Makes me wonder why I'm single." Lol..uhh could it be your location The Holiday Inn Express??
Hmm

Old 07-23-2008, 04:50 AM

LOL..the Holiday Inn Express commercial was probably one of the best. I get great service on travel when I stay at one and the lobby breakfast isn't bad either. :-)
Shoobie....why of course! Our neighbors all got together for the 4th. Big cookout with ribs/corn/hotdogs/sausage and potluck dishes as well as BYO's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area