U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 08:51 PM

239 posts, read 554,778 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, or do people seem less friendly in this area than they used to be. I used to think the friendliness of this area was one of it's strong points. I lived a lot in the Northeast and used to think that people here were a lot nicer than up there. But over the past few months I have noticed that the people are a lot more closed off and rude than in the past. It used to be people would say "Hi" to you when walking on the street, but now they seem to stick to themselves. And this is in Great Bridge which I thought was a family friendly area. Even at restaurants/stores, they act like they are doing you a favor by helping you. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 09:59 PM

1,673 posts, read 5,531,274 times
I feel the same way. A lot of 'fake' people around here, just generic really. And forget about someone engaging you in conversation. Is there any depth to folks around here? I moved to a new neighborhood 2 weeks ago. Barely, one person has said hello. And at 40 and single and it seems I will stay that way for years as meeting interesting people has proved much harder than I thought.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:49 AM

23,021 posts, read 31,991,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeakesim View Post
Is it just me, or do people seem less friendly in this area than they used to be. I used to think the friendliness of this area was one of it's strong points. I lived a lot in the Northeast and used to think that people here were a lot nicer than up there. But over the past few months I have noticed that the people are a lot more closed off and rude than in the past. It used to be people would say "Hi" to you when walking on the street, but now they seem to stick to themselves. And this is in Great Bridge which I thought was a family friendly area. Even at restaurants/stores, they act like they are doing you a favor by helping you. Is it just me or does anyone else feel this way too?
Apparently, HR has changed since I left in 04. The peninsula wasn't the friendliest place in the US but the people were civil and good neighbors. I think that families in general are under more pressure today than a few years ago. A lot of military families down there are dealing with the possibility of being sent off overseas. People are more stressed today about money. I think that increased rudeness aint germane to HR.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:16 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,907,465 times
I don't have any problems with people. Maybe it's the stress of rising costs that people seem to be different.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:19 AM

1,154 posts, read 3,345,220 times
In Williamsburg your hand get's tired from waving to everyone you see !

Old 07-13-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Williamsburg View Post
In Williamsburg your hand get's tired from waving to everyone you see !

Same thing at our campground where we keep our RV. Every boat that passes by and every vehicle that passes a site, there's always waving going on and when people take their evening walks, someone always stops by and says "hi."

Old 07-13-2008, 02:51 PM

260 posts, read 1,080,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citydweller View Post
I feel the same way. A lot of 'fake' people around here, just generic really. And forget about someone engaging you in conversation. Is there any depth to folks around here? I moved to a new neighborhood 2 weeks ago. Barely, one person has said hello. And at 40 and single and it seems I will stay that way for years as meeting interesting people has proved much harder than I thought.
I agree... We moved to our home in Va. Bch about 3 yrs ago and when I said Hello to a neighbor... I thought he was going to fall off the sidewalk. He actually just stood and starred as well as other neighbors.

I'm very outgoing and friendly and have noticed a HUGE change in va bch.
People are less friends and more snooty than ever. Again.. not all but some.
My daughter is in a pre-school at a local church (which I love) but the parents are more intersted in the brand names of clothes there kids are wearing rather than the childs behavior or education or getting to know others. I don't get it!

OH well.. We'll be here for a while and just making the best of it. I have met some nice people here as well.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:37 PM

209 posts, read 681,118 times
Coming from the country, it is a big change here. It feels like alot of people here have an attitude. I don't mean they just look poed, I mean they got this "I'm going to kick your *****." thing about them when you try to interact. I work alot with the public and it seems like every other person I talk to has a stick up their arse. Then again, I work with alot of people from my generation and we all see to have this bad***** kick going on thanks to the media.

I've been told I'm intimadating, so it may just be their reaction to me. I miss human interaction. lol Hard to make friends here.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:23 PM

I suppose it depends on your age group. The "Y Generation" grew up in front of the TV playing video games and expect everything to be handed to them, few parents are/were ever at home. The "X Generation" seems to think they know all about life just from reading a book. Seems only the Baby Boomer Generation and those before reach out for social interaction. This is probably why some of you are disappointed.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:18 PM

209 posts, read 681,118 times
Well, by no means am I putting down the people that live here. I do think that my generation needs to loosen up some, but it's not as horrable as I make it sound. Like I said, I've been told I'm an intiadating person so it could all be just me. I had one girl tell me that her husband didn't like me and I had just met her the day before. lol *She is a client, BTW.*

(rant_mode)It's a shame about kids today. In my day it was respect your elders, do good, and experiance life. Now it's everyones a pedo out to rape you, do nothing that doesn't benifit you in some way, and keep to your self for fear of death or worse. Just look at the TV, every time you turn it on it's a "new" danger you should keep your kids from. They have a commercial running right now where they tell you that "80% of CHILDREN give out infomation online." The report they site considers 16-18 yearolds to be kids and info to be anything form a nickname to their home address and it doesn't tell you if they are giving the info out to real firends or some perv they met online. It's all built to make parents fear the world and to drive ratings. We should treat all kids like they are just things and they only have the intelegance of a gnat. I mean, it's worked great so far, right? Excuse me while I go play with firecrackers, talk to someone I don't know, and drink from a waterhose.(/rant_mode)

Back on topic: I would like to meet some nice people my age. Right now, all the people I associate with are 20-some years older than me or foreign. Hard to get a girlfriend like that... well... maybe having a foreign girlfriend would be an interesting experiance. XD I'm sure they don't want a hillbilly for a boyfriend, though. I'm by no means cool or hip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area