U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Virginia: driving jobs, trucking transportation, cost of living, real estate, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,702,916 times

Advertisements

The port is on the river on the Portsmouth side - it is HUGE and has had a major overhaul so it is all new.

I caution you about Florida. We will probably be moving after the first of the year, and most likely it will be Ft Lauderdale for DH's job. I have spent a year reading the Florida boards and times are tough in most of Florida - particularly SW Florida or the Tampa area. However, I have read some very positive things about Jacksonville.

As far as this area goes re the military, we are very supportive of our troops - therefore we are very welcoming of all new residents. In general we focus on military news, and the whole area celebrates when a ship returns from sea. This is not negative in any way though. It probably brings everyone together more.

The VB oceanfront CAN be difficult to navigate during the summer, and many residents avoid the area and leave it to the tourists during that time. For the remaining 9 months of the year - it is a great place to go for residents. The weather is enjoyable for most of the year and it is a nice way to spend an afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 PM

30 posts, read 16,642 times
I see Stacy, re the military culture. I would be first in line to cheer the military upon their arriving home. I think it would bean uplifting experience instead of all the negativity I get from the national media about the military and America in general. The idea of being in a place supportive of military isinspiring. A chill in the air is nice for a walk along the ocean, if that's indeed when the tourist go home. I think HR pulls on me morethan jacksonville. I have always had a thing for the Northeast. The massive dark bridges, the big rivers, the big cities. HR is on the southern fringesof that region in my thinking, and Jacksonville is not. On the map,Chesapeak Bay looks like such an interesting place to explore, so muchmore to often than the Jacksonville region, it seems. I'm glad we had this talk.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:53 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
Jacksonville has changed alot over the years. I travel there frequently for my job and stay at Jax Beach. Most of the hotels are gone on the ocean and big condo high rises in their place. Real estate value is half of ours because the market is down.
I don't think anyone can identify with the excitement of a ship pulling in after a deployment unless they have been standing on the pier waiting for a loved one. The media for what it's worth, only tells the people what they want to hear, not how it really is. We are not war mongers, but we sure do support our troops, whether by land or sea! :-)

Old 07-17-2008, 08:52 AM

230 posts, read 1,027,944 times
VA Beach has its perks that's for sure. My first thought when you were talking maritime is a little further north (New England), but since you are looking for a milder winter, than VB/Norfolk seems like a better fit. This area, however, is not the type of maritime maybe that you are looking for. Are you looking for that seaside type village ? Sailboats, fishermen, rock beaches, etc? That, for some reason, is what I think of when I think "maritime" community. Norfolk/VA Beach is on the water, obviously, but because of the military, I tend to just think of them as Military Ports/Beaches. I don't think of "maritime-esque." Does that make sense? That being said, I think that for your job, VA Beach might be good. There are parts of SoCal that would be awesome for your job (I lived in Long Beach before and the 710 freeway was always packed with trucks. It's a huuuuge port. Biggest on the Pacific I'm pretty sure). The winters are milder than the east and since it is on the water, the summers don't get too hot (there are always exceptions to the rule though, of course.). However, LB doesn't have your maritime ideals and can be expensive. I dunno. . just a thought though. Good luck! Cheers!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:09 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoHome View Post
I think that for your job, VA Beach might be good. There are parts of SoCal that would be awesome for your job (I lived in Long Beach before and the 710 freeway was always packed with trucks. It's a huuuuge port. Biggest on the Pacific I'm pretty sure). The winters are milder than the east and since it is on the water, the summers don't get too hot (there are always exceptions to the rule though, of course.). However, LB doesn't have your maritime ideals and can be expensive. I dunno. . just a thought though. Good luck! Cheers!
OMG NO! SoCA is a mess today. I cringe when I have to go there on business. The cost of living is terribly high, illegals everywhere and the weather hasn't been what it's known for.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:04 PM

yeah i hated socal, but with your job i thought i'd just throw it out there because i wasn't sure if your issue was more of an "i want maritime" or "i need to be gainfully employed" type of thing. ya know what i mean?

Old 07-17-2008, 01:08 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,702,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoHome View Post
VA Beach has its perks that's for sure. My first thought when you were talking maritime is a little further north (New England), but since you are looking for a milder winter, than VB/Norfolk seems like a better fit. This area, however, is not the type of maritime maybe that you are looking for. Are you looking for that seaside type village ? Sailboats, fishermen, rock beaches, etc? That, for some reason, is what I think of when I think "maritime" community. Norfolk/VA Beach is on the water, obviously, but because of the military, I tend to just think of them as Military Ports/Beaches. I don't think of "maritime-esque." Does that make sense? That being said, I think that for your job, VA Beach might be good. There are parts of SoCal that would be awesome for your job (I lived in Long Beach before and the 710 freeway was always packed with trucks. It's a huuuuge port. Biggest on the Pacific I'm pretty sure). The winters are milder than the east and since it is on the water, the summers don't get too hot (there are always exceptions to the rule though, of course.). However, LB doesn't have your maritime ideals and can be expensive. I dunno. . just a thought though. Good luck! Cheers!
Krab is a trucker and is looking for a large port as homebase, with the seaside atmosphere. VA Beach would be a nice little drive to get to the port for work - even with no traffic the trip back to Portsmouth is about 30 min. Not really the best option for home to start with. Norfolk is home to tall ships (at certain times of the year) and lots of boats of all kinds.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 PM

Sorry. I tend to lump VA Beach/Norfolk together. I can't help it. I was a Navy brat and grew up in the area. Lived on Navy housing in VA Beach and the next street over was Norfolk. I was there before the boom in revitalization in Norfolk. We just referred to mostly all of it as Va Beach. So I need to remember to refer to them separately. Sorry about that. I did mean Norfolk.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 PM

There are some sea-side cities in Southern CA that I would give my left arm to live in, but things are too messed up on CA, and I would probably never go there to live. I'm not into the quaint village. I'm definitelyinto big military ships. But also the sound of fog horns, and the sights of fishing vessels. I really like the working class maritime atmosphere.Sail boats bore the hell out of me, as do yachts and other expensive personal water craft. Give me rusty fishing vessels and military might.But let me smell the salty sea air, and listen to seagulls and fog horns.I am willing to compromise in order to geta mild winter, and an lower cost of living. As WannaBe said, New England is probably the ideal environment. But it's wicked expensive up there,plus the winter snow. There must be a good compromise somewhere. Is there a long wharf to walk on in Portsmouth or Norfolk to look atthe ships and water vessels coming in, whether it be military, fishingvessels, cruise ships, etc?

Old 07-17-2008, 11:34 PM

Hi, I got the idea tonight to go to TV news stations and newspapers andwatch local news videos. First I went to Jacksonville (FL) and I am happy to say that in viewing a dozen or so videos I eliminated jacksonville basedon my impressions. It seemed to me that Jacksonville is a attention on the St. John River community, rather than an ocean community. And the river itself is not very attractive, imo. I then went to Hampton Roads, and watched closely thebackgrounds of the places where the on-site reporters were broadcasting from. The visuals seemed to remind me a lot of my home in Illinois. The treesthe fauna, it seemed to remind me of my childhood. It felt right, in otherwords. (I grew up in Illinois in a town where three rivers met, wehad tow paths, locks, all that stuff) I also found this photo of the day shot which was featured in today's Hampton Roads newspaper. It showed a fishing vessel on the YorkRiver with the sun coming up behind it. It was a perfect shot, andanswered my earlier question regarding commercial fishing. The newspapersseem to refer to these guys as "watermen". If you can direct me to other videos of the hampton Roads area, it would be of further help. What is the major newspaper in Hampton Roads? Are there competing large newspapers? If I lived in, say, Norfolk, how long wouldI have to drive before I reached a rural area? What about the samequestion for Chesapeake, which is the area that impressed me the most.I need openspace to be able to breathe. I will probably avoid Virginia Beachlike the plague. It sounds conjested with no easy escape out. What body of water is the essence of Hampton Roads? I tend to thinkof the Chesapeake Bay as being more Maryland than Virginia?I want waterways, and rural-ness, and also easy access to major industrial areas for work. I intend to leave here (Denver) on Sept 30th,just in time for autumn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area