U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Virginia: driving jobs, trucking transportation, cost of living, real estate, traffic.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:22 PM

30 posts, read 16,700 times

Advertisements

I live in Denver. I hate the dry climate. I plan to move at the end ofSeptember. I am single, in my 40s, and currently drive a 18 wheeler making local deliveries. Before that, I drove a large charter bus. My criteria is:I want a maritime environment. I want seagulls, the smell of the ocean.I want to see and hear ships. I want a place that has a promenade to walk along the water. Aside from the environment described above, I want a city where jobs are plentiful for truck drivers. I am figuring thatsince Hampton Roads has a deep water port for shipping vessels, there might be a lot of truck driving work in the area. Unless the freight that comes in on ships is primarily transported out via rail. I know railtransport is very popular right now because of the high cost of diesel fuel.Also, I want a place where there is recreation. I have never done it, butI think sea kayaking might be a fun activity. Is this area good area for sea kayaking? On the map, it looks as if it would be, especially considering theinlets and bays in the area. I had been looking at Baltimore, but it is mygut feeling that Baltimore would be too gritty for my tastes. Is Norfolk a gritty place like Baltimore? (I have never been to Baltimore, btw). I hear Baltimore has a beautiful promenade. Does Hampton Roads haveanything like this? Does the Hampton Roads area have a variety of boats like which one might see in New England? (Tall ships, ship parades, and so on?) I look forward to your input.Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:27 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,910,449 times
snidertrucking.com
I'd leave CO too....didn't like it. We have all kinds of boats, ships, ferries..

Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,707,681 times
This area might very well fit the bill. I lived in NoVa all my life, so we went to Baltimore frequently - never really liked it, except for the waterside area, but that is touristy.

In your line of work, jobs will be available. We do have trains, but the tracks currently are not laid out to provide full time transport of the products that come in thru the port. The train tracks are OLD and travel through neighborhoods - very slow going for miles. They are working to change that, but trucks are probably the main method of transport and will be for a long time.
We have alot of boats around here - pleasure craft, ferries, schooners etc. I work with a guy that kayaks almost every night. He goes all around the area, and there are clubs and groups to join too.

I'm not sure what the best place to live might be, but as a SF, the Ghent area of Norfolk would probably work nicely as well as Old Town Portsmouth. In old town Portsmouth, you are very close to the water - as well as the Port areas. Wherever you looked to live, you are close to some sort of water - river, channel, ocean. When I go to our local mall in Chesapeake - which is about 5-7 miles from the river - I can usually get a salt air smell. Seeing the sea gulls all over always reminds me that we live so close to the water.

I have traveled and lived on the East Coast all my life. There are not that many cities that actually function as a working city (and not a tourist spot), but Hampton Roads is one of them.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
This area might very well fit the bill. I lived in NoVa all my life, so we went to Baltimore frequently - never really liked it, except for the waterside area, but that is touristy.

In your line of work, jobs will be available. We do have trains, but the tracks currently are not laid out to provide full time transport of the products that come in thru the port. The train tracks are OLD and travel through neighborhoods - very slow going for miles. They are working to change that, but trucks are probably the main method of transport and will be for a long time.
We have alot of boats around here - pleasure craft, ferries, schooners etc. I work with a guy that kayaks almost every night. He goes all around the area, and there are clubs and groups to join too.

I'm not sure what the best place to live might be, but as a SF, the Ghent area of Norfolk would probably work nicely as well as Old Town Portsmouth. In old town Portsmouth, you are very close to the water - as well as the Port areas. Wherever you looked to live, you are close to some sort of water - river, channel, ocean. When I go to our local mall in Chesapeake - which is about 5-7 miles from the river - I can usually get a salt air smell. Seeing the sea gulls all over always reminds me that we live so close to the water.

I have traveled and lived on the East Coast all my life. There are not that many cities that actually function as a working city (and not a tourist spot), but Hampton Roads is one of them.
That's awesome, Stacy. Thanks. It seems to me that NOVA is the type of place I am looking for. I would say that Portland, Maine might be more to my ideal description, but I need a milder winter climate. If you have any ideasabout where I can read up on the freight transportation network (ships, trains, and trucks) it would really be helpful.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:57 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,707,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krab View Post
That's awesome, Stacy. Thanks. It seems to me that NOVA is the type of place I am looking for. I would say that Portland, Maine might be more to my ideal description, but I need a milder winter climate. If you have any ideasabout where I can read up on the freight transportation network (ships, trains, and trucks) it would really be helpful.
Maybe I didnt make myself clear - No Virginia is where I lived for 41 years before moving to Hampton Roads. I cannot imagine anyone voluntarily living in NoVa!! The cost of living is outrageous! You cant rent an decent apt for less than $1400 a mo or buy a decent house for less than $400k. Then there is the traffic....... heaven help them in NoVa!

Hampton Roads would fit your needs much much better. All the places I mentioned are in Hampton Roads.

It is funny you mentioned Portland, ME. We will be driving to Portland and touring the Maine coast for our vacation in August. No way could I live in that much snow!

Old 07-15-2008, 01:44 PM

117 posts, read 406,172 times
Krab,
I too absolutely love Portland, ME but agree with you too that I need a milder climate. Don't get me wrong. I like aspects of the winter but I like it less and less each year.
What made you want look to Virginia Beach? I've been through it a few times before and been to Busch Gardens/Williamsburg and went to a concert in Portsmouth but havn't spent much time there.
Chris

Old 07-15-2008, 08:17 PM

Stacy, I confused Hampton Roads with Northern Virgina. I am definitely interested in Hampton Roads and not NOVA. Fish'n Suit, I like the idea ofbeing around shipping ports. I am a truck driver, andthought living in a city with a port would also help me with finding a trucking job. I researched all the ports in the U.S. and rejected thosewhere the cost of living was high, or the city was too big (New York,San Diego, etc), or where the climate is cold (Maine) So I am now focusing on just a handful of cities:Tacoma, WA (reprenting the Left Coast), Hampton Roads, Jacksonville, FL, Tampa, FL. I really do want to get the most maritime bang for my buck. I do not know if Jacksonville matches VB in its maritime feel.There was something in some of the posts I have been reading that turned me away from Hampton Roads in the past 24 hrs, and has me looking moreat Jacksonville. The cost of living is cheaper in NE Florida (taxes, particularly). The winter is apparently too cold to do much recreationally, such as kayak, or bike ride. "The Virgina Beach waterfront is nasty", the area is very conjested with people, feeling like an outsider if you are not in the military, every neighborhood and city feel the same. These are a few of the things that make me apprehendsive, although I try to take people's complaints with a grain of salt since there are many more positive than negative comments about the area One comment that really appeals to me is: "real country and farmland nearby and people are friendly - just like in the old days". I truly need access to the countryside as I am not a city person. I grew up in central Illinois. It's hard making a decision based on the opinionsof others. But that's what I have to do for the most part.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:47 PM

290 posts, read 1,019,578 times
Having lived in both HR and Baltimore, HR definetly fits your description much more, and no Norfolk isnt as near bad as Baltimore, but does have rough spots and crime.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM

thanks ToughLuv. What city is the major port in, Norfolk? Is it a highly industrial area where the port is? I would like to live in an apartment where I could see the ships from my front window. I would imagine this ishighly sought after, though, right?

Old 07-16-2008, 05:40 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,910,449 times
You won't see ships from your front window in Norfolk, unless you live on the Portsmouth side, across from the Naval Base or Waterside. There are some nice condo's / apts over there in the nice sections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area