U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:21 AM

52 posts, read 210,784 times

Advertisements

I just moved here and am a little surprised to see all the hurricane preparedness information on print and TV. I guess I didn't realize they were that big of a threat here. (Maybe dumb on my part.) Especially since none of the homes we looked at had basements to shelter in and no interior spaces that were suitable for shelter.

Anyone willing to share their experiences of dealing with this in Williamsburg or surrounding areas?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 08:55 AM

23,016 posts, read 31,984,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerlady9 View Post
I just moved here and am a little surprised to see all the hurricane preparedness information on print and TV. I guess I didn't realize they were that big of a threat here. (Maybe dumb on my part.) Especially since none of the homes we looked at had basements to shelter in and no interior spaces that were suitable for shelter.

Anyone willing to share their experiences of dealing with this in Williamsburg or surrounding areas?

Thanks.
To give you my experience, hurricanes and preparedness are a fact of life in Hampton Roads. I would say that HR gets a direct hit or close from a hurricane on average every four to five years. Usually they are not the the big ones like Katrina, Ivan, Rita, Charley. The more common ones are Tropical Storms and Catergory 1 hurricanes like Isabel back in 03. The local governments/media do a pretty good job with dealing with them and give you ample time to evacuate and get prepared.

Tornados are very rare in HR. Just earlier this year a big one hit Suffolk and (thank God!!) no one was killed but it whipped Suffolk's behind badly. Tornados are even more rare than Hurricanes here. Look for homes with crawl spaces which is as close to a basement as you'll get around here.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:07 PM

3,508 posts, read 11,906,384 times
Yep, we prepare all year long. We certainly aren't "stupid" when it comes to hurricanes!

Old 07-14-2008, 10:32 PM

2,383 posts, read 5,398,050 times
Hurricanes and tornados do not happen that often in the area. That being said, right now seems to be a different story for most places. Most meteorologist have spoken out and done reports about why tornados all over are occurring earlier and stronger than in the past. There was a recent report done by Dateline or 20/20 talking about how most tornados start in March and end in September and this year many of the tornados started in February. I think after Suffolk was hit and demolished in many areas, more and more news channels and people are taking precautions.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,705,994 times
I hear the tornado warning/sirens on the radio all the time now. We are very cautious now.

Even though I am a relative newcomer to the area (5 years), every summer I gather my hurricane supplies. I moved here weeks after Isabell and my inlaws were out of power for 10 days. I need to be prepared for that situation.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 AM

52 posts, read 210,784 times
My new neighbors tell me during Isabelle they were without power for 10 days as well. Also so many trees were down the community was completely cut off for a while.

I am definately gathering my hurricane supplies and keeping an eye on the weather channel!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
My new neighbors tell me during Isabelle they were without power for 10 days as well. Also so many trees were down the community was completely cut off for a while.

I am definately gathering my hurricane supplies and keeping an eye on the weather channel!
Isabelle tore us up! We were fortunate that our home didn't suffer any damage, but without power and sewage, it was not the greatest of living conditions. The Salvation Army provided portable showers and hot meals and the Red Cross had water and sandwiches. I had the kids make believe they were camping, so we did cookouts with the food we had to eat before it spoiled. I made a make-shift toilet with a 5 gal. pail and bag inserts to dispose of the pail products.

Ernesto in 2006 flooded most of our neighborhoods and roads that were low lying.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:16 AM

358 posts, read 1,292,854 times
We have hurricane scare once every couple of years, but they usually skirt the coast and the weaker left side of the hurricane brushes our area. What made Isabelle different is that it made landfall south of Hampton Roads, but travelled NE, thus we were hit with the much stronger right side. This was the first time that we were impacted this hard by a hurricane in decades, and it reflected in the damage that we experienced. Isabelle was a cat 1 when it came near Hampton Roads, had it been a 3 or even a strong 2, it really would have walloped us.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
We have hurricane scare once every couple of years, but they usually skirt the coast and the weaker left side of the hurricane brushes our area. What made Isabelle different is that it made landfall south of Hampton Roads, but travelled NE, thus we were hit with the much stronger right side. This was the first time that we were impacted this hard by a hurricane in decades, and it reflected in the damage that we experienced. Isabelle was a cat 1 when it came near Hampton Roads, had it been a 3 or even a strong 2, it really would have walloped us.
Yep and OBX got it bad. It actually went all the way up thru the Jersey Shore! Inland had tornadoes and quite the damage. Quite a bit of flooding. Back when Bonnie hit us, we lost power for a couple days and there was beach errosion, but that was all we experienced.

Old 07-17-2008, 12:33 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,426,925 times
Quote:

In Norfolk when I lived there during Isabelle we had it pretty bad. We were without power for almost two weeks! We lived right next to the Chrysler Museum and our area flooded pretty bad. We thought with EVMS right down the street that our area would have electricity pretty quickly...that was not the case. That was a rough few weeks and hearing our neighbor's generators did not help either! ha

The Outer Banks usually gets hit the hardest though if coming up the Coast, especially Hatteras. You just have to be prepared during Hurricane season but like the other poster stated Tornados are very rare and was surpised when I had heard about the one in Suffolk a few months back.

We moved to Florida on the Gulf Coast last year so now we have to really be prepared for hurricane season....we have an evacutaion route planned, our hurricane box and cat carriers ready to go if need be! Hopefully we will get spared this year but we will be keeping a close eye on the Tropics!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area