U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 41,044 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if they're putting the tolls back up on I264/I64?

i heard it on the news but i didnt catch the whole story.

fill me in?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 05:13 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,145,091 times
There was an idea brought before our beloved legislatures that the tolls be brought back (and maybe a new one or two) so that the roads can be paid for.

However, our beloved legislatures are busy playing Democrat-Republican party games and shooting down anything related to the Road Budget. From the last glimpse we saw into the actions of these clowns, it could be well into 2010 before anything gets done with the horrible damage on the roads. Don't forget these jokers' actions when the elections come around. They all need to be voted out..

Me, I'm hoping that a major hurricane (or something) takes out 264/64 so that we can get federal funding to fix them.

Seriously, is it going to take another pothole collapsing under a vehicle (first a car, then a motorcycle) and causing a death (the first two were luckily only injuries) before something gets done?

Old 07-15-2008, 11:20 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
I think they should put the toll road back up. I could never understand why they took em' down.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 PM

209 posts, read 680,592 times
I do have to say, 64 is one of the worse roads I have driven on. Lexington into WV, towards the Charleston/Beckly area, it looks like they put down previously used tarmac. But also, I don't know how I could manage a toll, gas, and food when I go home to visit my parents. Last time I went, I had to cut out food. A 6 hour drive with nothing to eat. If I had to slap out 2 bux a toll, I would probly have to ride on tank of gas down and one take back. It's getting tight, yo.

On a side note: If you ride a motorcycle, take 460 to Hampton Roads instead of 64. You can hop on it in Roanoke or on up the road at an exit I can't remember right now. It's about the same distance, a nice drive, and kind of nostalgic. *Atleast for me since 460 has been a major roadway for my area even before I was born.* If you do, You need to stop at the Virginia Diner in Wakefield. Heck, even if you don't ride a motorcycle, you should take this road if you really don't need to go north to Lexington.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:48 AM

2 bucks a toll is nothing compared to traveling up to Massachusetts. The turnpike as well as the bridge tolls usually run us to the bank, but we don't eat on the road either. Pack a cooler with sandwiches, snacks and drinks. You'd be suprised how much you'll save.
The interstate toll used to be a quarter. Why they discontinued only to tax the crap out of residents is beyond me.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,781,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobie View Post
I do have to say, 64 is one of the worse roads I have driven on. Lexington into WV, towards the Charleston/Beckly area, it looks like they put down previously used tarmac. But also, I don't know how I could manage a toll, gas, and food when I go home to visit my parents. Last time I went, I had to cut out food. A 6 hour drive with nothing to eat. If I had to slap out 2 bux a toll, I would probly have to ride on tank of gas down and one take back. It's getting tight, yo.

On a side note: If you ride a motorcycle, take 460 to Hampton Roads instead of 64. You can hop on it in Roanoke or on up the road at an exit I can't remember right now. It's about the same distance, a nice drive, and kind of nostalgic. *Atleast for me since 460 has been a major roadway for my area even before I was born.* If you do, You need to stop at the Virginia Diner in Wakefield. Heck, even if you don't ride a motorcycle, you should take this road if you really don't need to go north to Lexington.
I live in Blacksburg, VA and take 460 when I visit the Outer Banks. It is actually faster than I-64. Sure, there are a few lights... but 460 is WAY shorter in mileage. To take I-64 you have to go north all the way to Charlottesville on I-81 which is totally out of the way.

So for Roanoke to Hampton Roads, I'd say take 460 regardless of what you are driving, unless your destination is on the peninsula.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:27 AM

967 posts, read 2,655,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
I live in Blacksburg, VA and take 460 when I visit the Outer Banks. It is actually faster than I-64. Sure, there are a few lights... but 460 is WAY shorter in mileage. To take I-64 you have to go north all the way to Charlottesville on I-81 which is totally out of the way.

So for Roanoke to Hampton Roads, I'd say take 460 regardless of what you are driving, unless your destination is on the peninsula.
I'm driving to Roanoke tomorrow, then to WV (just east of Beckley). I'm going to try out 460. In WV, between Lewisburg and Beckley, they're resurfacing I-64. I never thought it was that bad. The area around Richmond is the part I think needs work.

As for the tolls... I remember when RT44 (I-264 now) had the toll. I remember stop-and-go traffic from Mt Trashmore to the toll. There is NO WAY I want to endure that mess again. Traffic is bad enough around here with out causing more bottle necks. If it's the tourists we're looking to tap into, how about catching them at the CBBT? $12/minimum per car??? They're making money faster than the Federal Reserve! The CBBT has the highest toll in the nation for a bridge crossing. The avg toll is $12.12. Every year 3,000,000 vehicles use it. So let's see: 12.12*3,000,000= $36.36 million per year. There's your solution to road money.

Unfortunately the money will be skimmed off & redirected to some other worthless project and we'll be back to square one.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:13 AM

94 posts, read 332,908 times
Have to agree with the above post - no toll road! Locals will just cut around it backing up already congested secondary roads. And tourists will back it up because they will be confused. Even with EZpass. When I worked in Moyock I would do the same thing, take business 168 to skip the toll - only added 1 or 2 minutes to my drive, was not going to throw my money away on the expressway. Let's not make this another up north brilliant idea of tolls everywhere. Maybe we should have a toll for just NY and NJ drivers...

With that said, I'd gladly pay more taxes so long as they were specifically funneled into a new bridge crossing from the peninsula to the southside (this is the #1 thing we need - can you imagine the backups if all we had was the MMBT?) and other specific road projects.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:28 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,145,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snosurfa7 View Post
With that said, I'd gladly pay more taxes so long as they were specifically funneled into a new bridge crossing from the peninsula to the southside (this is the #1 thing we need - can you imagine the backups if all we had was the MMBT?) and other specific road projects.
A few years back, there were plans drawn up for another crossing point and a Truck Route... however two cities banded together to get them shot down. Newport News and Hampton - the reason they claimed for going against it was that another crossing and a trucker's route was going to pull "a lot of tax money away from the two cities".

Basically, the cities were being selfish for some tax dollars vice allowing the state to fix road problems.

So, the money that was supposed to go to HR for that project went to another project in another city.

And in all honesty, I would be more than happy to pay a toll or extra taxes if that meant that the roads I drive on would be fixed.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:35 AM

Don't forget how they screwed up the new interstate widening on 264 when they built the road and didn't put in drainage, then had to dig it up again to fix it. VDOT wasted alot of money that too alot of money from scheduled roadways and repairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area