Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 16,152 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the posts on here and am wondering just how bad Hampton has become. I lived in VA a while ago and recently have been considering a move back. I am wondering about the Hampton Woods/Michaels Woods area--that's where I lived before. It was a nice area and seemed "safe", but now I am wondering if it's all gone down hill. Is there ANY nice, reasonably safe place to live in Hampton? Is the area by Hampton Woods/Michaels Woods not even a good place to live anymore? I appreciate any responses.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 06:44 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Wow we must be related. I used to live by there too. The woods are still as clean as you left it. one thing for sure is that our h-town has gotten real expensive. it ain't as bad as where i live now (NoVa) but you'll have to bring out your wallet. some new houses have gone up on semple farm rd. near bethel manor jus down big bethel from michael's woods. what posts have u been reading on hampton?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 PM

3 posts, read 16,152 times
I have read some posts talking about how the crime has gone up and it's not as safe and to watch which neighborhood you live in. I guess those things can be said for any place you live these days. I've read a lot of it about Hampton Roads. Would you consider moving back to that area a wise choice?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:46 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Default Hmmm

If i had to choose between moving back to HR and staying here in a-town, i would move back. this area i live in is just too expensive. hampton was named a best place to live in 2006. it's personal crime rate is below average and its prop. crime rate is average. so i wouldn't worry about the crime rate that much after 3 years outside DC.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...PL5135000.html

Old 07-15-2008, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 23,783 times
Default I wouldn't live in Hampton

I wouldn't live around there if they paid me. They are in the middle of trying to redo things so the crime goes down but it's only going up. The area doesn't have the fishing it used to so it's kind of loosing it's fling. The people who actually make money are leaving and the poor people are being left behind. The price of housing is going up because it's considered waterfront but it's really not nice waterfront. I lived there growing up and it's much worse you can't safely walk down the road.

Old 07-15-2008, 08:51 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,197 times
I dont understand why anyone would live in Hampton voluntarily, its one of the bottom 3 of the 7 cities IMO.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,410 times
Hampton is a difficult place to live due to the HRBT. That tunnel is so bad, I would go out of my way to avoid it. If you live in Hampton, and work in Newport News (or points NW) not so bad. However, summer traffic at the HRBT is very bad at most times of the day. It just makes it difficult to go anywhere.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:39 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,032 times
Wow, Hampton is really taking a beating. The city does have problems, (mediocre schools, older housing stock, higher crime), however there are pluses to the city. There are some great waterfront communities, central location to all of HR, you can bypass alot of the HRBT traffic at certain interchanges, and slightly cheaper housing. The crime is a bit overated, crime rates in Hampton are lower than Portsmouth, Norfolk, NN, and Suffolk.
In general, Hampton may just not have that cool factor such as Norfolk, Va Beach, or even Portsmouth (Old Towne) area, but it really is not a bad place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area