Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,571 times

Advertisements

We're looking at moving to Chesapeake. I would like to know what beaches people go to who live in Chesapeake? VA Beach seems very busy - anything near Chesapeake that's not in VA or that's a nice family friendly beach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 04:44 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,454,429 times
Outer Banks is closer to you if you think that the ocean front is too busy.

Old 07-16-2008, 06:17 AM

94 posts, read 388,977 times
x2 on the outer banks, especially if you are in deep chesapeake. Sandbridge is a great family oriented laid back beach probably closer than the oceanfront for people in chesapeake.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:08 AM

26 posts, read 65,115 times
If you have military Id you can go to Dam Neck Beach on Dam Neck base in va beach. Or I would have to agree with Sandbridge. That is where we go. Love it and it is never crowded and they have piers,parking, and parks, and tennis courts at Little Island Stat Park with shelters and bathrooms.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:50 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,666 times
I also have to agree with the Outer Banks or Sandbridge locations.....much better than the VB Oceanfront, but the North End or Croatan part of VB is not too bad. If you live in Chesapeake then the other suggestions would be much closer to you though.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:53 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
I have lived here for almost 5 years - been to the beach to sun worship once and I went to the OB . We do go to Va Beach about once a year in the off season to walk around though.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:16 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times
I'm not from Hampton Roads, but I know the beaches down there. If I were you, I'd go to Sandbridge for day trips. The Outer Banks is my favorite though. I don't care for the Northern Banks (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, etc), but Hatteras Island is AWESOME. The Cape Hatteras National Seashore makes a much more "natural beach" experience as opposed to ticky tack souvenir shops every five feet. We typically stay all the way down the island - in Buxton or Frisco or Hatteras, NC. For you in Chesapeake, even that far south, you could be there in 3 hours or less. Great for weekends, even better for long weekends. There are good campgrounds down there - the Frisco National Park Service campground is gorgeous, if you don't mind cold showers.

Info on Cape Hatteras NS http://www.nps.gov/caha/

Info about the island in general, with links to info about the villages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatteras_Island

Old 07-17-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
I'm not from Hampton Roads, but I know the beaches down there. If I were you, I'd go to Sandbridge for day trips. The Outer Banks is my favorite though. I don't care for the Northern Banks (Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, etc), but Hatteras Island is AWESOME. The Cape Hatteras National Seashore makes a much more "natural beach" experience as opposed to ticky tack souvenir shops every five feet. We typically stay all the way down the island - in Buxton or Frisco or Hatteras, NC. For you in Chesapeake, even that far south, you could be there in 3 hours or less. Great for weekends, even better for long weekends. There are good campgrounds down there - the Frisco National Park Service campground is gorgeous, if you don't mind cold showers.

Info on Cape Hatteras NS Cape Hatteras National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service)

Info about the island in general, with links to info about the villages: Hatteras Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I agree........I love Frisco and Hatteras. It is not as crowded as the other areas and we just loved going camping there for the weekend. Frisco Woods is where we would stay and they have tent sites right on the water (sound). The sunsets are awesome there too! It is worth the few hours of driving and it is such a chill relaxed area!

We live on the Gulf in FL on the sound at it kind of reminds me of Hatteras.....but I want to go back and camp at Frisco again someday!

Old 07-17-2008, 03:09 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
I agree........I love Frisco and Hatteras. It is not as crowded as the other areas and we just loved going camping there for the weekend. Frisco Woods is where we would stay and they have tent sites right on the water (sound). The sunsets are awesome there too! It is worth the few hours of driving and it is such a chill relaxed area!

We live on the Gulf in FL on the sound at it kind of reminds me of Hatteras.....but I want to go back and camp at Frisco again someday!
Did you ever check out the Federal campground at Frisco (all the way down Billy Mitchell)? The sites are high on dunes overlooking the ocean.. gorgeous, plus you get a lot of sea breeze, which is a boon for tent camping in the summer. Frisco Woods is a nice campground, especially if you have an RV and want full hookups, but for tenters the NPS campground is hard to beat, and the price is right too.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
Did you ever check out the Federal campground at Frisco (all the way down Billy Mitchell)? The sites are high on dunes overlooking the ocean.. gorgeous, plus you get a lot of sea breeze, which is a boon for tent camping in the summer. Frisco Woods is a nice campground, especially if you have an RV and want full hookups, but for tenters the NPS campground is hard to beat, and the price is right too.
I will have to check it out next time I am up that way! Thanks! It sounds amazing...........we should be making a trip up that way in a few months while the weather is still nice! We were looking for a place on the ocean side so that sounds perfect!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area