U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2008, 06:14 AM

5 posts, read 16,487 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Suffolk in two weeks and would like to get some information about the area. I am looking to find out about the crime in the area I am moving to. It is near College Drive and Churchland area. I am also looking for people who know the area that can tell me things to do, places to visit, good dining, and any other information. I am more interested to know about the crime rates in the area I am moving to.. Any help would be great...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 06:55 AM

14 posts, read 44,279 times
I may be wrong but this: "College Drive and Churchland area" sounds a lot like the Portsmouth area and not Suffolk.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:05 AM

It is near portsmouth, but mailing address is suffolk. It is Western branch area I guess. Just trying to see if the area is bad or not? I had someone tell me college square apartments are full of crime.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:45 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,704,421 times
Ok, I know this area pretty well - I live in Churchland in Portsmouth. Those are the duplex type houses, right? I dont want to scare you, but you will need to be kind of careful. There are not gunfights or anything, but the housing looks like more low income working class people. Just use common sense and if you do not like it you can move when your lease is up and you learn the area.

Overall the area is fine - there is Walmart and a brand new Kohls right down the street. You are right near the highway and Harborview - which has restaurants, a hospital and very nice movie theatres. You can buy groceries at Walmart, or go down to High Street (Western Branch Blvd), turn left and there is a nice Farm Fresh. The WaWa across the street has the cheapest gas. Get on 664 towards Chesapeake and a few exits down take the 2nd Portsmouth Blvd exit and there is Ches Square Mall.
It is a smaller mall - Sears, Macy's, JCP, but has plenty of shops. Target, Walmart, Starbucks, Olive Garden, Best Buy, etc. lots of places to go do your shopping.

Once you get settled, you will find TONS of things to do! There is Williamsburg, Smithfield (if you like small towns with antique shops), Va Beach, museums, downtown Norfolk. Welcome to the area!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:10 AM

Thanks StacyLee!

Actually I am moving tho College Square Townhouse Apartments. Off of Western Branch And near that Wawa. I guess there must be another are called college square that this guy told me about he said they were bad apartments. I am actually moving to College Square Townhouse Apartments on College Drive.... Thank you

Old 07-17-2008, 08:20 AM

173 posts, read 580,838 times
I live in that area and it isn't too bad over there. You are moving to the apartments right across from the ODU Tri-Center, correct? I don't think I hear too much about stuff happening at those apartments...I think you can go to pilotonline.com and see the crime database.

You are right at the crux of Suffolk, Chesapeake and Portsmouth and you will find that you can get to anything relatively quickly at anytime other than rush hour...You have a mall off of Portsmouth Blvd (3 exits down on 664) and rt 17 has a bunch of stuff on it. And in a couple of years, you can just go around the corner for fine dining and such as Suffolk is building up the HarbourView area behind you.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:23 AM

Thank you for the information. I was nervous about the area. I had someone tell me that the college square area was really bad. Maybe they were mixed up with another area around there. I look forward to my move. Only 2 weeks to go. So what is there for fun?

Old 07-17-2008, 09:30 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,835,525 times
I live right around the corner from you in the Burbage Grant subdivision. From my perspective, it's a fairly safe area. Once you cross over to Portsmouth off of Townpointe Road in Churchland it gets a bit shady at night, but I have had no bad experiences - even stopping at the convenience store where people loiter. The opposite side of College Drive has a section of duplexes that have a "depressed" appeal to them, but not bad enough to be scared to walk down their streets.

The worst I have dealt with was the loony neighbor chasing off stray dogs with a rifle in his back yard. I had the police kindly remind him that people live around him and the idea of stray bullets doesn't appeal to me as a parent of small children.

Since this is an area with lots of shopping, you can't go wrong with that. There are all kinds of restaurants in the area, some good and some not so wonderful. There's something for everyone.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:34 AM

7 posts, read 32,230 times
Default Have lived here all my life

I have lived in Suffolk all my life (on the south side) near the airport. Suffolk is not the place to go for nightlife. Family nightlife, maybe. We have the Harbor View movie theater (which is very nice) and my son (15yr) enjoys going to the YMCA. (membership is required and $$). Not much else in Suffolk. You are close to a bowling alley(which is technically in Chesapeake) but for family fun it ok. Don't be so concerned that you have to entertain in Suffolk. The area is called Hampton Roads in general because you can be anywhere in the area within a relative short amount of time. Our local papers are the Suffolk News Herald and the Virginian Pilot. These should help (they both have websites). There is every possible club and hobby available. I enjoy Suffolk because I can go the "city" and still have quiet when I come home. You will like it. Think suburbs of a city. The side of Suffolk you are going to is called the Northern side. You are close to a lot of everyday things like supermarkets, etc....... hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area