U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 06:24 AM

76 posts, read 190,956 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!!

We just got word that we are going to Little Creek for our next duty station... I have been looking at rents and for sales.....

I was wondering if anyone had some information on the Rosemont Forest subdivision in VA Beach.....??

The school that area is attached to is Salem senior high... I have a sophmore in HS and a 6th grader.... Is this a good safe area to live in... and are the schools in this area good schools???

Thank you in advance for any and all help!! I cant wait to get to the area.... WATER!! We are in Nebraska and I am missing the ocean!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 08:58 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,904,302 times
Check this out...
Salem High School Home of the SunDevils

Yes, it is a nice area and your husband will enjoy Little Creek Amphib. Base

Old 07-18-2008, 09:01 AM

87 posts, read 296,726 times
Virginia Beach schools in general are very strong, perhaps the best in the region. My wife and I both teach school here and have two daughters who are going through the system.

Salem is not in the top 2 or 3 school districts in the city according to test scores, but there are no major problems there. Socioeconomically, it is about average for the beach. I know several teachers there who have told me about the school and the summary seems to be that, as with any school, there are some knuckleheads, but if you keep your nose clean it is a decent place. The school also has a performing arts academy which will bring some strong academic students into the fold. The school is only about 10 or 15 years old.

I don't know about the particular neighborhood, sorry.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:22 AM

Thank you for the responses!!

I am still researching and looking at all angles.....
I appreciate all and any info...
So far I have heard to stay away from Green Run and Landstown High Schools.... Do you agree???....

Old 07-18-2008, 09:57 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,904,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
Thank you for the responses!!

I am still researching and looking at all angles.....
I appreciate all and any info...
So far I have heard to stay away from Green Run and Landstown High Schools.... Do you agree???....

Yes, I agree to stay away from Green Run (gang run) and Landstown. Princess Anne High is one of the best schools in the area as well. Windsor Woods Elementary and the area of Windsor Woods is nice to live in and there are a few homes for sale. When do you plan on transferring from lovely Nebraska?

Old 07-18-2008, 04:09 PM

136 posts, read 468,062 times
Hey there, I would agree that Salem is a good school, we live in the Salem High school zone. My children are in elementary right now. As far as the neighborhood, I looked in Rosemont Forest and was not impressed. The prices of homes looked so good and the pictures are appealing but drive through there one evening when everyone is home and you will see that it isn't one of the nicest neighborhoods. I heard one end of that subdivision is better then the rest but I am not sure which. I live in the Kempsville area and if you look in this area you should find a decent home for the price. I definately recommend a drive around town to check the area out. The schools are great with the exception of Green Run and Landstown. Good luck!

Old 07-19-2008, 07:47 AM

Erma- It looks like it could be the December- January time frame... BUT I think we are looking to secure a place to live before then... To get a good place in a desireable neighborhood with choice schools.... We also own a house out here that we are debating on selling or renting... so if we can get some of our things out of here and get it on the market sooner rather then later... all the better too.... I know houses sell in the winter... but we would like to get it going.....

two more areas... Hunt club forest... with Kellam senior high... AND Indian Lakes with Salem schools....

We have been looking around and the housing market is SOOO different out there... Older houses are going for 249,000!! Blows my mind....

Beachkat-Thanks so much for the info! I wish we were closer so I could see a place and drive around the neighborhood... but Nebraska is quite a haul..... I am sure when we come for house hunting leave it is going to be a whirlwind of a trip!!

ANYONE HAVE INFO ON Cheasepeak schools and that area??? Hubby is not overly worried about a commute.....

Old 07-23-2008, 08:56 PM

8 posts, read 41,052 times
Here's the low down on Green Run High from someone who actually directly associates with it on a day to day basis. Green Run USED to be bad back in the 90's. There was a gang shooting at one of the home football games, hence the term "gang run". I coach there and it's not bad at all. Besides the "bad" neighborhood (Twin Canal) kids got switched over to Landstown. People still call it "gang" run but thats not really the case anymore. It's changed. It has a really diverse student body, and from what i have experienced thus far the administration is great and very supportive. A lot of parental involvement too. It's a smaller school, but when it first opened back in 79' it was the largest high school in Virginia. My mother graduated from GRHS in the 80's and it had a big overcrowding problem in the late 80's. This is where Salem High comes in. Sorry if that sounded rude, but a lot of people just believe everything they hear. Green Run isnt bad. Landstown is actually a nice school also, its pretty new as well (2001-ish). and pretty up to date as far as technology goes.

But if i went by what i "heard" i'd tell you this: If you dont want your kids doing drugs keep them out of Cox High School. Heard the kids there spend mommy and daddy's money on drugs and deal them out of the back of their Lexus SUVs. But again, thats just what i heard

Old 07-29-2008, 09:15 PM

165 posts, read 483,534 times
Look into salem woods, glenwood, bellamy ,and some of the homes around glenwood/rosemont elementary (make use of google maps). The Rosement Forest subdivision (off of lynnhhaven rd. near the shopping center) was pretty much the trash burbs when I lived there and attended salem high. The subvision was peppered with townhomes. The RF subdivision that was expanded next to the Food Lion shopping center was just as trashy, if not worse. I bet if I made a trip back there I would not find any progression with this neighborhood since that time. The homes there are some 20+ years old now and I doubt many applied or have the funds to make the necessary repairs. I just remember them as cheap and uninteresting construction.

Now Salem High had it's share of issues such as mold, dark halls, little for natural light, and occassional smacktards that thought they were 'representing' as in any public school. There were a few times when kids were expelled with knives and guns. At one point a kid was removed because he had an assault rifle in his trunk. I recall we had 2 cops in the school at all times. Pretty standard for va beach high schools. Not sure what that count is up to now. Your kids will want to strive for the honor courses to stay out of the rif raf population found in the general english/math courses.

Issues encountered in RF subdivision included punk kids jacking cars and personal property (ie prying off car emblems, breaking side windows for radios or glove box rummaging, occassional house robberies) and cursing their little hearts out to show how 'bad' they were up and down the streets and then asking for money while they strolled up the store every day. I recall a number of nights with the va beach police helicopter circling the neighborhood at night with it's floodlight strolling around the backyards.

The access you'll have is outstanding though to shopping, the beach, norfolk, and all of the park options. Just find the right house in one of the sister neighborhoods - perhaps things changed a bit in the last 10-15 years.

Last edited by crux; 07-29-2008 at 09:25 PM..

Old 07-30-2008, 06:28 AM

82 posts, read 268,771 times
It all depends on what your budget is, most single family homes 3 br/2bt under 250K, will be in Rosemont Forest, Salem lakes or villages, North of Va Beach Blvd you would be looking at a older neighborhood like Aragona. Until you get in the car and drive around can you make your own evaluation. Schools are like pizza everyone has there own opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area