U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 04:53 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,425,026 times

Advertisements

Olde Towne is a nice area....just find out for youself if you like it and what you are looking for. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 05:35 AM

3,508 posts, read 11,899,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
Olde Towne is a nice area....just find out for youself if you like it and what you are looking for. Good luck!
Go thru there at night. In fact, visit any area you are looking to live in at night. That in itself will tell you if the area you want to live in doesn't have "groups" hanging out on the corners.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
Military Highway is safe? Since When? ..
Try & Avoid Craigslist at all costs unless you are feeling up to living with a pervert or perhaps someone looking to have you for supper. Not knocking Craigs but just trying to give ya a heads up that there is some pretty bad people on that site (Scammers, Prostitutes..)
It's cleaned up alot in the past few years Bikes, I lived in the Meadowbrook apartments when I was active duty, left after a year an bought a home. I make my way around the HR area alot and believe me, it's not at 9am, but more towards the evening hours and very early morning hours...part of the j.o.b. I travel to the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard ALOT, not only using the tunnels, but the back ways thru Chesapeake and S. Norfolk when the DT tunnel is backed up. We are all partial to our neighborhoods, because that is where we live. Especially if we own a home, we certainly make sure the neighborhood is where we want to invest our hard earnings.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:38 AM

9 posts, read 36,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikesareBetter View Post
Military Highway is safe? Since When? ..
Despite what you might have heard, Ghent isn't all expensive. My 1BR is under $800 w. all Utils incl + Free Cable TV. Found the place in the Virginian-Pilot. Yes, Ghent is pretty safe and peaceful.
Be sure to check any area in Norfolk at night when it is dark out. There are a lot of bad areas around here in terms of crime, murders..
Check out the paper hon.
Just my two cents on this exchange since my daughter has just moved back to the HR area for a job. I was born and raised in Norfolk - born in 1952 at Leigh Memorial Hospital- which use to be on the Hague. Lived as a young kid where the Hague Towers is now and a row house on Bosseivan Ave where Eastern Medical is now located. We moved out to the Military Highway/Janaf area in the early 60s with most people leaving the downtown area. People literally abandoned the Ghent area and all the stores in the downtown area closed due to lack of business.

When I was a kid, there use to be a strip of not so very nice bars along Granby downtown - that no one nice would be found at. I was down there last week and was amazed at the tranformation of Granby with all the restaurants - but still saw the storefront where the old Holfeimer's shoe store use to me ( very nostalgic). It has taken time, but I guess when Eastern Medical was built around the mid to late 70s - the area once again started to improve. NO one could believe when MacArthur Mall was built - but maybe that is what it took to finally transform the area in the last 10 yrs or so.

Is Ghent really safe? All posters seem to think so - and if one is in the heart of Ghent along Colley Ave - I would generally agree - but then the area beyond 21st street certainly still does not look too nice to me - or the area much beyond Granby street (sorry, the subsidized housing areas are still there) Which certainly raises the issue of the the very nice new condos and homes that are located on Granby around Princess Anne Road.

Is Military Circle area safe? This area has changed over the last 30 yrs too with folks moving out to Va Beach and now spreading to Chesapeake - but I grew up here. Can't speak directly for the last 10 yrs as I have not spent a night in the area - but it was fine up to that point and I still visit my Uncle and Aunt that live in the area twice per year - and it looks quiet, peaceful, and safe during the day. Many new stores have been built along the Military Road area - so it definitely is convenient. Personally, I would not view it as any less safe than the Ghent area - as least it is not within walking distance of subsidized housing. However, I would not suggest this area if you have kids - as I understand the schools are now poor. So if you have kids, live in VA Beach or Chesapeake.

Sorry, just my two cents, and a walk down Memory Lane.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:06 PM

Don't apologize, we all know what the areas used to be and maybe that is the picture some have that have not seen the areas transformed. I've been here 22 years and have seen alot of transformation, but the disillusion we get, is that the transformation only goes so far down the road. The Cypress/Newtown area used to be great back in the 80's & 90's, but somehow the section 8 people got in there, rented and just didn't take care of the properties or brought their distructive kids with them. They have built 200,000 dollar homes and condo's around there to bring the property values up, but if you take a ride thru Lynbrook Landing, you will see homes that renters don't take care of, people who originally purchased there have left due to the monsters who destroyed the city park with their graffiti and what not. Bayside middle school and high school has a bad reputation because of these people. Until the city puts their foot down, none of this will change.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:32 PM

165 posts, read 483,360 times
Careful with the military personnel in the area - they float through the area and are eager to breed.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,425,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crux View Post
Careful with the military personnel in the area - they float through the area and are eager to breed.
Haha....you are funny.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:49 PM

12 posts, read 23,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hottdamn View Post
I plan on moving to this area in 3 months and I've done a lot of research. I know Ghent is the safest area but it's rather expensive. Are there any other areas of Norfolk that I could get a 1bdrm (possibly and hopefully a 2bdrm) for $800 and under?

I'm a SWF, mid 30's and I'd like to be near the bay but keep hearing awful things about willoughby and Ocean avenue. I'd love to have a duplex or small house but I'm sure that's out of range. So I'm settling on an apartment. If anyone knows decent to above average safe apartments, i would love to have a list to keep on me so the next time I visit I can check them out.

Thank you so much!
there isnt really any nice areas in norfolk other then ghent/larchmont, try virgnia beach or chesapeake

Old 12-16-2008, 02:25 PM

1,123 posts, read 4,702,916 times
There is an area in Norfolk - further down Granby street. I don't head that way too often so I don't know the exact name of the area. It is really a nice area with older homes and there is water all around. It might be a little more middle class vs 20 somethings, but it seems pretty safe with ethnic restaurants and shops. There are some apts too.

Olde Town Portsmouth is pretty safe at night. The homes off of High street sell for a pretty penny. However, there are apts too- the really old historic ones that look so cool. There are quite a few bars and restaurants too. You wouldn't see a whole lot driving around - typically people do not hang out on the sidewalks in the area. The police station and courthouse is right there . Plus, you can hop on the ferry (it runs til midnight I think) and go to Norfolk.

HR is not really a 'party town' in my eyes. The real rowdy crowds are down at the oceanfront. Hampton might fit your needs too, but that is probably more of a drive to work. During the summer, there is a street festival in Hampton every weekend (at least there used to be) so there is PLENTY of places to hang out and it doesn't have to be right next door to your house.

Old 12-16-2008, 03:05 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,737,867 times
Trying to find safe areas in Norfolk for 800 a month is like trying to find someplace warm at the North Pole........its just not going to happen.....I think the housing prices are the biggest shock to people when they start looking in the Hampton Roads area
Ghent is not bad but it does have it's moments, lots of homeless people around Ghent because the local churches the in area caters to them so I have heard may stories of people finding them sleeping in their backyards/porches, even in their unlocked vehicles etc....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area